Drinks for Catch-Up with an Old Buddy in Falls Church

DanCole42

I'm meeting up with an old friend from high school. We were hoping to grab drinks somewhere between my place (Fair Oaks) and his place (Shirlington), so I'm thinking Falls Church.

This would be Saturday night around 7:30. Just low key beers or something.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

I'm meeting up with an old friend from high school. We were hoping to grab drinks somewhere between my place (Fair Oaks) and his place (Shirlington), so I'm thinking Falls Church.

This would be Saturday night around 7:30. Just low key beers or something.

Any ideas?

Lary liked Dan's post, but was too polite to mention Spacebar (here's my experience there), his 21-and-over "beer and grilled cheese bar" in Falls Church. Dan, if you don't mind having sandwiches on a panini press (and these are good sandwiches), Spacebar's reason to exist is their beer selection - it's the best beer selection in Falls Church. Seriously, if it's just meeting a buddy for a couple of beers, is there any reason you *shouldn't* go to Spacebar? These sandwiches won't win any awards, but they're perfectly fine, and you can drink different beers until your heart's content.

Lary, how are parking and crowds at 7:30 on Saturday evenings?

• Like 2

Thanks don!

First of all we don't do paninis, we are straight up flat-top griddle.

Parking in the lot will most likely be an issue, but there's plenty of public parking on lee and oak (the streets on either side of us) during our operating hours. We do a busy dinner every night but should have some seats at the bat at least!

Here are my "old man" thoughts. Take them for what they're worth, so if you're young and don't mind "catching up" with loud voices, ignore all that follows. I agree with all the suggestions above and I can't think of any others in Falls Church Proper. Spacebar is awesome, but to me, is too loud for enjoyable conversation The best time to go is early PM on a weeknight for easy discussions. Mad Fox has great beer and OK food and is usually more quiet for conversation with some areas being better than others. Pizzeria Orso has great beer and food and can be quiet, although I've never been at prime time on Saturday night, so I can't say that'll be the case. B Side is great for drinks and finger food but very loud. Lost Dog at Halstead Square would be an easy spot. They're not usually very packed, have great beer and the music is at a reasonable level.

• Like 1

If I were looking for low key beers with a buddy in Falls Church, I'd head to Dogwood Tavern.  They have a solid beer list and a good neighborhood bar feel.  Casual, friendly, unpretentious.  Food is only decent, but doesn't sound like that's your primary need.

Here are my "old man" thoughts. Take them for what they're worth, so if you're young and don't mind "catching up" with loud voices, ignore all that follows. I agree with all the suggestions above and I can't think of any others in Falls Church Proper. Spacebar is awesome, but to me, is too loud for enjoyable conversation The best time to go is early PM on a weeknight for easy discussions. Mad Fox has great beer and OK food and is usually more quiet for conversation with some areas being better than others. Pizzeria Orso has great beer and food and can be quiet, although I've never been at prime time on Saturday night, so I can't say that'll be the case. B Side is great for drinks and finger food but very loud. Lost Dog at Halstead Square would be an easy spot. They're not usually very packed, have great beer and the music is at a reasonable level.

Sound is really an important point. Too many times in recent years, the overall quality of a night out for dinner has been lowered because of background noise at a high level.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2015 at 2:51 PM, Dr. Delicious said:

Art's Tavern. 

I've never been, but when i get takeout from Taco Bamba, it looks like a proper local dive bar and people always seem to be having a good time.

Ownership changes announced via Facebook:

Hello All, As I sit here writing this ..It's difficult to announce... and so bitter sweet. I am selling Art's Tavern 1f642.png:) & 1f641.png:(! I love this place and all the people that have worked with me over the years and all the customers. It has been a great experience, I have had a wonderful time running into to old friends and making new! I'm so proud of everyone that works here and so proud of the place it's become! I appreciate all of the support from Mclean High School Alumni, old friends and everyone that has made Art's there place to hang one time or another! My son is going into high school and I want to be able to spend as much time with him this last four years before he trots off to college, my mom needs more help these days and I have another business, so the time is right. GOOD NEWS IS.. I found the perfect people to take over!! Laodice Granger and Lisa Cedrone will be the new owners April 1st. Lisa grew up in Arlington and has over 30 years in the restaurant business and is currently GM for Copperwood Tavern . Lod grew up in Vienna, is a Mechanical Engineer, Civilian for the Navy and use to own several Tattoo shops. They are super excited Love the place have a lot of great ideas and love and understand the importance of local Taverns in the community. All of the entertainment nights will remain the same! The Tavern, the employees and the customers are in great hands! I cant wait to see you all on the other side of the bar at Arts ! Thank you again for all the years of support and friendship it means the world to me. We will be partying up a storm the next couple of weekends so check out the calendar and come by! Smylin Jack will be playing the last weekend so come by for a cocktail! A special thanks to some of my favorite people that have made t Arts Tavern success. Deborah Kelley, Erika Sue , Beth Chernoff, Katalin Merey, Elizabeth Gavin, Saul Canas Max Pena.

Lisa Cedrone used to be behind the bar at Cowboy Cafe and after that was a manager at Thirsty Bernie until a couple or so years ago.