Bart

Pineapple and Pearls, Fine Dining Restaurant on Barracks Row by Rose's Luxury, $325 All-Inclusive Including Drinks - $225 (No Drinks) at the Bar

15 hours ago, Marty L. said:

Is there really that much disposable income floating around in this town?  I'm increasingly shocked that D.C. can support as many expensive places as it does today.  Or is the bubble going to burst dramatically in the next year or two?

That is seriously a lot of money.

The bubble has already started to leak. Rents are going up, which in turn makes margins razor thin. Add to that the population at least within the city lines has started to decrease.

45 minutes ago, Josh Radigan said:

Add to that the population at least within the city lines has started to decrease.

The rate of DC's population growth has slightly decreased but the city had a net gain of over 10,000 residents last year.

On December 2, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Marty L. said:

Is there really that much disposable income floating around in this town?  I'm increasingly shocked that D.C. can support as many expensive places as it does today.  Or is the bubble going to burst dramatically in the next year or two?

I'd be in full agreement if we were talking about just this town, but a Michelin 2 star is bringing people in from elsewhere, as well as people who spend part of their time here but are based in NYC or SF, et al., and have business reasons for being in town some of the time.  Cutting down on the size of the space will factor into this equation too.

• Like 1

There are over 100,000 hotel rooms in DC region, most close in with very high occupancy rates and averaging well over $200/room/night on average in the city.  There is also somewhere in the range of $4 billion spent on lobbying in DC and at the high end of the large international community (embassies et al) there is a lot of $$ spent.  

As Pat said above there are many visitors  who bolster the local community when it comes to dining at a name restaurant.  

I visit(ed) name restaurants in other cities and I keep reading about members here doing so in distant cities.  So too with visitors here.

Of course hit us with one recession and all bets are off

• Like 1

That's odd- I just saw an article in the WBJ which stated that the D.C. Population has been shrinking for about 6 months due to people leaving to go back to their hometowns now that the recession has subsided to many. That being said D.C. Can support good restaurants but the ones in the middle will struggle simply because there are so many of them.

Wonderful dinner Tuesday night. Exquisite composition and presentation.delightful 

did not go for the truffle extra at additional $300..a bit over the top for us

On 12/2/2017 at 10:39 AM, Marty L. said:

Is there really that much disposable income floating around in this town? 

Yes.

I'm increasingly shocked that D.C. can support as many expensive places as it does today.  Or is the bubble going to burst dramatically in the next year or two?

It will/has for a lot of places in less fashionable areas, particularly the suburbs. Hot, well reviewed and nationally known places like P&P are largely safe from any burst. 

On 12/3/2017 at 1:51 AM, Mark Slater said:

That is seriously a lot of money.

That it is. It is  still on my bucket list to be able to dine at Pineapple & Pearls, but more so to share the meal with someone that would appreciate as much I would. That is challenging.

Living in York, Pa, I have met Matthew Russell, proprietor & human extraordinaire of the Horse Inn. He worked with Aaron, and speaks highly of him. Chef to chef, that is a compliment.  The District can support this  high level of dining, and withstand any said bubble. I mean Citronelle sustained it for 18 delicious years. So kudos to the team at P &P , and may you prosper well into the new year, beyond. 

Pine for P &P,

kat

• Like 1