DonRocks

Does The 2nd Amendment Provide Absolute Protection To Gun Owners?

Don and B.A.R., I think those are both helpful and creative suggestions, particularly about how to handle bullets. But there is already a huge black market for both guns and bullets, and how we then deal with that, after making that explode in size is a serious consideration. I am surprised that there isn't more discussion about targeting the actual gun and ammo manufacturers and importers. Those are who the NRA is serving and protecting anymore--not so much gun owners--and simply banning certain weapons isn't going anywhere. Making it harder and harder for them to do business and make profits may be at least part of the way to cut off the source.

On 10/3/2017 at 11:05 AM, DonRocks said:

"Country Music Guitarist and Vegas Shooting Survivor Says He's Reversed His Gun Control Stance" by Luchina Fisher on abcnews.go.com

Good for you, Caleb Keeter - the thing that saddens me is that people might not change their positions until they're victims in events like this - if only they would just open up their minds and think instead, this wouldn't need to happen.

So many people will read this and think, "Rockwell's a totalitarian who would come for our guns," and that is false. The solution begins with:

* Every single gun being registered with a serial number and owner.
* A gun-owner's permit, just like the ones people have for owning a car.
* A shooter's license, just like a driver's license, that demonstrates people have passed a rudimentary written and field test.

The above three items are already applicable to automobiles, so this is a proven model that works.

I'll let the politicians debate about taxes, penalties, etc. - I think these three things alone would go a long way; unfortunately, given the number of guns outstanding, there can be no grandfather clause - these must apply to guns already in private possession, and that's going to be a sticky wicket. However, even if they were only applied going forward, that would at least solve the problem in the long term, i.e., several decades after the laws were enacted. Waiting fifty years may seem unacceptable, but at least our children and grandchildren would begin to see the benefits of such a program.

---

"House To Vote on Gun Silencer Legislation This Week" by Gabrielle Levy on usnews.com

9 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I  have a solution to mass shootings in this country, but it's going to take some serious backbone that I doubt our electorate has: Essentially, treat guns as cars - my right to own cars has never been infringed since I turned 16.

1) Do not make guns a right unless you're in a militia (e.g., The National Guard) subject to the same rules and regulations as all other militias.

2) Require all other guns to be treated just like cars. Tax them, assign a unique serial number to each gun, and maintain a national database linking all guns to their owners.

3) Define specifications that all guns must adhere to, and annual tests the guns must pass, just like a car.

4) Require all gun owners to regularly pass both a "written test," a"field test," and a "background investigation," showing that they're responsible and competent enough  to own and use their guns, just like a drivers license.

5) For items 2)-4), decide whether or not you want to grandfather existing guns into these requirements. If you do, your gun problems will be over in about 50 years; if you don't, your gun problems will be over in about 100 years. Political backbone will be the thing that saves 50,000 Americans (I'm approximating 1,000 dead Americans annually due to mass shootings in the upcoming century- it could be many more than that). 

There's your disarmingly simple, five-point plan to solve the mass-shooting problem in the United States.

As for Texas, I don't have enough tears in my eyes to adequately cry for them, and I'm forced to look at them as casualties of war. If I met one as an individual, that would be different, but not in such large numbers. Yes, it's sad, but this involves more grief than one man is capable of enduring. My plan will end, or minimize, that grief and those tears.

"How To Reduce Shootings" by Nicholas Kristof on nytimes.com

It's so simple that it can't possibly fail work fail.

Gun owner's insurance. Like automobile liability insurance. Let the insurance companies decide who is insurable. No insurance, no gun.

• Like 1