Dining Downtown

I'm going to be out in LA for a conference next week. Sadly, without a car (gov't travel ain't exactly luxurious...). So, can anybody recommend some places in (gulp) Central City for good lunches and not too expensive, but good!, dinners? I'll eat any kind of food (ok, actually I'm a fishaterian, so steak houses I'm not so interested in). By not too expensive, I mean less than roughly $50-60/person, including tax, tip, any liquor I want to drink, etc.

I'll happily accept recommendations for good food that will require cab ride! And, of course, if it's something that LA does particularly well (e.g. Mexican, Asian), all the better.

Thanks,

---

Water Grill (Joe H)

On 11/3/2005 at 9:45 AM, smokey said:

I'm going to be out in LA for a conference next week. Sadly, without a car (gov't travel ain't exactly luxurious...). So, can anybody recommend some places in (gulp) Central City for good lunches and not too expensive, but good!, dinners? I'll eat any kind of food (ok, actually I'm a fishaterian, so steak houses I'm not so interested in). By not too expensive, I mean less than roughly $50-60/person, including tax, tip, any liquor I want to drink, etc.

I'll happily accept recommendations for good food that will require cab ride! And, of course, if it's something that LA does particularly well (e.g. Mexican, Asian), all the better.

smokey,

I know this is, erm, not particularly timely, but this guide may perk your interest next time:

"The Essential Guide to Downtown Los Angeles Restaurants, 2017 Edition" by Crystal Coser on la.eater.com

Also, LA Weekly has a useful app that allows you to search Los Angeles restaurants by cuisine, neighborhood, and other features such as parking, reservations accepted, full bar, etc.  You can also sort by distance, and LA Weekly ratings of Best Of, Critics Pick, and Recommended.  It can be quite handy when you are out and about and want to find a restaurant nearby on the fly.  It also has news, music listings, and details about other events.  Can you dig it?

[The New Yorker Goings On app does similar wonders for NYC and is available for both Apple and Android.]

• Like 1