jayandstacey

If You Could Base Your DC Home Location Strictly on Dining - Where Would You Live?

If you could base your DC area home location solely on dining....where would you live?

Assume that money is no object and that you have normal transportation options, like cars and metro. Would you choose to live near a particular restaurant? Or in a particular vibrant hub of restaurants? Or just somewhere central that maximizes your access to restaurants all around the region?

DonRocks   

What do you mean, "If?"

My residence is based almost exclusively on proximity to DC-area restaurants. I had a couple other criteria, of course, but the location itself? Ease of access to be a restaurant critic. I thought everybody did this, no?

My residence before that was based in the center of a triangle equidistant from 1) my mom 2) my son, and 3) DC restaurants, for equally easy access to all three - the location served its purpose very well.

DaRiv18   

I really enjoyed living in Chinatown.  Stumbling distance from Passenger and Daikaya, that is key.  But it is a sheltered dining life there.  I really enjoyed H Street NE, there was a bigger range of quality dining at different price points than downtown.  Living near your favorite grocery is probably more key, so Union Market or Eastern Market or whatever is nice.  The danger with living near a particular restaurant is that key staff and management usually don't stay for more than a couple years -- so maybe living near Seki would be the way to go if that was an important element for you.  

dracisk   

I used to like living in Dupont Circle. I was a half block from the block with Little Serow, Komi, and Sushi Taro, but the real advantage since I didn't frequent any of those places (wish I could have!) was being able to walk or take a quick metro, bus, or cab ride to Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, U Street, 14th Street, Shaw, Mount Vernon Square, Metro Center, and Gallery Place. The only big drawback since I've never really shopped at Whole Foods was having the Soviet Safeway as my usual grocery store.

Now I live in Silver Spring and I can't walk anywhere. Sob. But my current situation is better than when I lived in Anne Arundel County for 2 years!

MarkS   

Don't knock Anne Arundel.  I moved to Annapolis 2 years ago and welcome coming home to a waterfront Horizon view. 

dracisk   
29 minutes ago, MarkS said:

Don't knock Anne Arundel.

I like Annapolis, but I don't think it represents Anne Arundel County overall. I used to live in Crofton, which has no waterfront horizon views and very few restaurants (if any) of note. I'd venture to say most of Anne Arundel County is more like Crofton and less like Annapolis.

In my post above I probably should have said my situation is much better than when I lived in Crofton (at least I can Lyft home from restaurants in DC now!), but I always worry that people in the DC area haven't heard of it, so I usually generalize to Anne Arundel County.

• Like 1

ktmoomau   

I think I would choose to live in DC instead of Arlington.  Shaw is so hot now, but I don't know how hot it would stay, maybe the Logan Circle area, it has a lot of metro access to a variety of lines in a few stops, not bad cabs to a lot of areas, but I like living somewhere that feels neighborhoody, I liked my time on Capitol Hill, so I might move back there, it has a lot more good restaurants now, and still isn't bad to get around the city, although not as convenient as Logan Circle.

squidsdc   
On 1/29/2016 at 3:30 PM, dracisk said:

I used to like living in Dupont Circle. I was a half block from the block with Little Serow, Komi, and Sushi Taro, but the real advantage since I didn't frequent any of those places (wish I could have!) was being able to walk or take a quick metro, bus, or cab ride to Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, U Street, 14th Street, Shaw, Mount Vernon Square, Metro Center, and Gallery Place. The only big drawback since I've never really shopped at Whole Foods was having the Soviet Safeway as my usual grocery store.

Now I live in Silver Spring and I can't walk anywhere. Sob. But my current situation is better than when I lived in Anne Arundel County for 2 years!

Clarify why can't you walk anywhere? (I guess it depends on what part of SS you live in...)

dracisk   
55 minutes ago, squidsdc said:

Clarify why can't you walk anywhere? (I guess it depends on what part of SS you live in...)

About a mile northeast of the Forest Glen metro. My address is Silver Spring, but I'm not downtown 

squidsdc   
4 hours ago, dracisk said:

About a mile northeast of the Forest Glen metro. My address is Silver Spring, but I'm not downtown 

Ah, yes. I'm guessing you may be able to take a walk in the park, and that's about it! OTOH, you probably have several Ride-On bus routes nearby. You are actually very near to where I am.

dracisk   

Yes, I'm very close to Sligo Creek Park, which is nice but not for dining. :-) I can also walk to Holy Cross Hospital, but I have not yet explored their cafeteria. There's one Ride-On route through my neighborhood, but it only runs during rush hour. Otherwise I think it's walk a mile to Georgia Avenue to get a bus, but I could be wrong.

DanielK   
On 9/9/2017 at 8:39 AM, dracisk said:

I can also walk to Holy Cross Hospital, but I have not yet explored their cafeteria.

My ex-wife works there, and my daughter has had to dine in their cafeteria numerous times when waiting for her to finish a shift. There's nothing worth exploring there; she'd normally rather do a fast food drive through, and they both hate fast food.

dracisk   
28 minutes ago, DanielK said:

There's nothing worth exploring there.

Thanks -- I was being snarky. :-)

DanielK   
7 minutes ago, dracisk said:

Thanks -- I was being snarky. :-)

I assumed as much, and my first cut at the post was snarky back about not wanting to be there as a patient...

Some hospital cafeterias are not bad, but this is not one of them.

squidsdc   
On 9/12/2017 at 6:05 PM, DanielK said:

I assumed as much, and my first cut at the post was snarky back about not wanting to be there as a patient...

Some hospital cafeterias are not bad, but this is not one of them.

Believe it or not, it actually has improved...:o Spent too much time visiting there to know.