Dinner for Four Old Friends, Feb 6, 2016 - Looking for a Similar Restaurant

Rieux

Hello!

I used to be in a long distance relationship and spent every weekend in NYC.  I had all my favorite local places (Lucien, Le Tableau (late and lamented), Balthazar for a big night, Schiller's, Clinton St. Baking Co for dinner, Essex, Little Owl, etc.).  It's been a while since my NY knowledge has been up to date.

Three friends and I are meeting for a weekend of fun, and we have two dinners to do (lunches are taken care of -- Russ and Daughters!)  I could use some help on places with similar vibes to the above.

Friday night we could go anywhere, but our hotel is near Grand Central.  Thoughts?  (I know Artisanal is nearby, but heard it went downhill).  Saturday we are going out to Marie's Crisis in the Village.  Little Owl is booked, I have a back-up reservation at Balthazar, but any other ideas???

Thanks!!

I'll think about potential recommendations, but stay away from Artisanal. Way downhill-- different owners, poor food at higher prices & they're soon to close down to move to a new location. Really-- don't go there.

I take it that Indian food is not an interest? If it is, then go down Lex Ave to the upper East 20s & check out either Dhaba or Pippali.

I'll think about potential recommendations, but stay away from Artisanal. Way downhill-- different owners, poor food at higher prices & they're soon to close down to move to a new location. Really-- don't go there.

Yes, but the *music*. Get with it, Bromeo!

And yes, there *are* vocals if you can listen long enough. A Brownie Button for anyone who can identify the artist on the bottle of Mouton (it will appear).

So, Fedora was excellent.  Great vibe, nice service. The Old Fashioned there is as good as everyone says - subtly smoky and velvety.  The four of us shared the chicken liver toast special app and the brisket stuffed cabbage.  Both were comforting, rich, but bright.  We paired the meal with a Peyroux wine which the waiter described as "funky and earthy" and it was, and it was wonderful.

The GM stopped by the table frequently - at first to describe the no-tipping policy and to tell us the tips were included in the prices on the menu and that the policy helped give the BOH more equitable treatment.  I applaud all this and TAKE NOTE SALLY'S MIDDLE NAME -- THIS is how you do this policy.  Not your asinine blackboard.  the GM also stopped by after our apps to give us all a free bowl of the pumpkin/foie soup because she felt our mains were taking too long (if they were we hadn't noticed). This was also silky, rich, and warming and thoroughly delicious.

Our four mains were the fried chicken, the pork chop with spaetzle and mustard, the short rib with mashed potatoes, and the porgy.  They were all good to very good (my short rib was fine, beefy, but not anything to write home about - the other dishes were very good) but the star was the porgy which was just perfect in every way.

We were too full for dessert, but they have a spectacular list of amari, so I opted for a Montenegro.  All in all, great food, wonderful atmosphere, and I thought a very good value.

We also hit Russ and Daughters Cafe for brunch and it was also exemplary with spectacular nova lox, etc.  Go there too :)

• Like 1

Oops, meant Poulsard - just went back to look at the label.  I think I had a brain fart and was thinking about the singer Madeline Peyroux!  It was a Domaine Rolet arbois 2011 and I now need to find somewhere to buy it.

• Like 1

Oops, meant Poulsard - just went back to look at the label.  I think I had a brain fart and was thinking about the singer Madeline Peyroux!  It was a Domaine Rolet arbois 2011 and I now need to find somewhere to buy it.

Thank you, sir - a lot of these French names sound and look alike, so I thought I was the one who was confused. :)