Lodging in Ocean City

Dr. Delicious

Any suggestions on good places to stay in Ocean City? I'd like to make a return trip with the family this summer, but don't want to pay for the Hilton again. I've heard Carousel is nice...

We stayed at the Hilton on Weds. and Thursday of this past week when it was $159 for an oceanfront room-NOT over $600 a night as it is in August.  We like the Hilton but the real problem is that there is no view up or down the beach-both sides of the ocean front balcony are partially blocked because the hotel is set back about 20 yards to allow a swimming pool and lazy river.

In season I believe that you have to be on the Boardwalk.  Negative here is that the Marriott Courtyard is up at 15th street and, as of last spring, hasn't been renovated since it probably opened.  Another place that is over $500 a night in season.

My wife likes the Comfort Inn at 5th and Boardwalk.  You want to reserve a "double oceanfront upper floor" which is an oceanfront room with a balcony and two queen size beds along with a sofa, refrigerator, etc.  Mid July through mid August it's in the mid to high 300's and they are almost sold out!

The Carousel is up around 90th street or so and in an area that is a long way from the Boardwalk.  I am not sure of any recent renovations but it must date back 40 or more years.  Good news is that Liquid Assets and Hooked aren't too far away along with a Fractured Prune.

FWIW the best seafood restaurant at the shore is the Henlopen Oyster House in Rehoboth Beach.  (They do not accept reservations and are known.)

Best hotels in Ocean City are the Lighthouse Club which is owned by Fager's Island and the adjacent, the Edge which is adjacent to Fager's, all of which are on the Intracoastal.  $400-500 a night in season.

I've gone to Ocean City at least twice a year for 35 years, mostly on business and, at this point have probably stayed in every halfway decent hotel there.  I still haven't found one that I really like.  For a family and fair value I really would take a serious look at the Comfort Inn at 5th and Boardwalk but INSIST on an Ocean Front room with a balcony, ideally on the third floor or higher.

• Like 1

Four-years after the previous post, where is *the* nicest place to stay in Ocean City, preferably oceanfront with a view? I haven't been to Ocean City-proper in ... twenty years? thirty years? longer?

I'm not looking to stay until prices drop, so hopefully the unspeakably expensive will be speakably expensive, albeit probably not the best value for my consumer dollar.

I assume a kitchenette will be best, and cooking in the room will be better than dining out?

Just sitting on a balcony and hearing the ocean sounds pretty good to me about now (any other suggestions are appreciated, and yes, I can drive for several hours). As silly as it might sound, I'd like to have the greasy Ocean City experience one more time - I suspect this will be the last time I ever visit.

On 8/15/2020 at 11:45 PM, DonRocks said:

Just sitting on a balcony and hearing the ocean sounds pretty good to me about now (any other suggestions are appreciated, and yes, I can drive for several hours). As silly as it might sound, I'd like to have the greasy Ocean City experience one more time - I suspect this will be the last time I ever visit.

Hit up Seacrets?