Solo Dining near Center City - Where To Sit at a Bar and Have a Good Meal?

Rhone1998

This may be a bit far east, but if you arrive early, having snacks at the bar of Zahav is wonderful (their cocktails are excellent), and then walking to Amada to round out your meal - two James Beard Winning restaurants (2011 and 2009, respectively), virtually across the street from one another - one Israeli, the other Spanish. I've done the tandem before, and it's a fine way to spend an evening (assuming you can find seats - you may consider stepping outside at Zahav and calling Amada to check on availability). There's also a nice hotel at the far-east end of that street which cam be affordable - someone will remember the name (I'm not sure who owns it now). If truly in Center City, don't forget breakfast at Reading Terminal - I can't remember if the Amish place is Down Home Diner or Dutch Eating Place - I think it's the latter, and I had wonderful blueberry pancakes there (it's worth the upcharge for real maple syrup) - bring a newspaper, take your time and enjoy.

• Like 1

This may be a bit far east, but if you arrive early, having snacks at the bar of Zahav is wonderful (their cocktails are excellent), and then walking to Amada to round out your meal - two James Beard Winning restaurants (2011 and 2009, respectively), virtually across the street from one another - one Israeli, the other Spanish. I've done the tandem before, and it's a fine way to spend an evening (assuming you can find seats - you may consider stepping outside at Zahav and calling Amada to check on availability). There's also a nice hotel at the far-east end of that street which cam be affordable - someone will remember the name (I'm not sure who owns it now). If truly in Center City, don't forget breakfast at Reading Terminal - I can't remember if the Amish place is Down Home Diner or Dutch Eating Place - I think it's the latter, and I had wonderful blueberry pancakes there (it's worth the upcharge for real maple syrup) - bring a newspaper, take your time and enjoy.

The hotel right across the street from Zahav is Sheraton on Society Hill.  It's fine.  If you're in that area, Olde Bar (former Bookbinder's location) has a happy hour every day (5-7 on Mon-Fri, 4-6 on Sat and Sun).  The bar at Zahav fills up right at opening, at 5pm, and even earlier (they let people in to the bar earlier).  Even when I walked in last night at 5pm on a Sunday, the bar was already almost full except for 2 seats.

Going back to Center City, I also liked Abe Fisher (also has a weekend happy hour at the bar, 5-7 pm).  I tried to stop at the bar at Tinto once, but it was too crowded.  I like Sampan as a solo diner at the counter in the dining room where you can see them cooking.  I've had no luck the few times I've tried to sit at the bar, which isn't that large and is hectic.  But I've been able to get the dining room counter without reservations.

Thanks for all the replies.  I wound up getting one of the last open spots reserved for walk-ins by the bar at Tinto around 6pm.  That place is pretty small and gets packed quickly (this was on a Wednesday night).  Food was very good and they have a really interesting beverage program going on (Basque cider is quickly becoming one of my favorite drinks, and also tried a fantastic red (yes red, who knew?) Txakolina.

Don, there are lots of Amish places and lots of places for breakfast in Reading Terminal Market, but the one you refer to that has the real maple syrup available for an upcharge is Down Home Diner, on the far South side of the building (pretty much opposite of Dutch Eating Place).  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1