"Last Week Tonight" (2014-) - John Oliver's Satire on the News, Sunday Evenings on HBO

petercarrjones

The always delightful John Oliver on Johnny's Half Shell at 4:14

Further proof that Washington occasionally gives DC's dining scene a bad name.

I generally like John Oliver, but that segment really rubbed me the wrong way - especially the unwarranted comments on the owner's appearance.

I should clarify that I mean only the part specifically regarding Johnny's Half Shell.

I generally like John Oliver, but that segment really rubbed me the wrong way - especially the unwarranted comments on the owner's appearance.

Not to disparage Johnny's Half Shell, the owners, the chef's or any of the items in the piece, but fundraising dinners in the DC region, and more focused in Downtown DC, and even more focused on restaurants on the Hill are an astoundingly large part of their businesses.  The volumes, frequency, and amounts of time and staff power dedicated to this are astronomical.  By reference the John Oliver piece referenced that Johnny's on the Half Shell averaged just slightly less than 2 such events each week for 10 years.   That is a lot of volume.   (Heck were I a restaurateur in the city I'd want some of that volume and as much as I could get and handle).  (that kind of consistent business makes the financial life of the restaurant infinitely better)  Its consistent and it enables one to plan costs in a far easier way than via day to day competing for regular customers).  But its size, relative to the industry and compared to that of any other city is extraordinary.   Its also been going on for decades  but it has grown at a remarkable level.  There could be commentators on this site that have far greater insights into it than me.)

And as to the comments on the owner's appearance....yeah...well this was a national commentator "picking on one individual"; who happens to be local.  (yeah that does suck).

Does any of that impact the ability of restaurants to do a great job with customers on a day to day basis; in their kitchens and in the front of the house??   I don't know.  I suppose the impacts if any are random subject to each different restaurant.

On 6/7/2016 at 11:24 AM, Al Dente said:

I really like John Oliver.

John Oliver has a great delivery. 

[While 1) partisanship 2) religion 3) insults and 4) policing are the only four things disallowed on this website (please memorize all four), it's perfectly fine to highlight the artistic work of comedians, regardless of the topic (just don't interject your own, unsupported opinions on any of the above four things, please). However, there's absolutely no reason why people can't discuss the work of a fine comedian such as John Oliver. If you're ever in doubt about whether a post passes muster (and several people have told me recently that they just aren't sure, which is why I'm bringing this up), ask yourself if YOU, yourself, wrote any opinion - that can't be supported by indisputable facts - that violates one of our four (and only four) guidelines listed up above, even in jest. I cannot and will not edit your posts, so I have two choices: 1) let them stand as written, or 2) delete them, and write you, including a copy of the post, and an explanation of why it violates one of the above four guidelines. It really *is* this simple.

I think the following video represents a smart, funny, witty piece by John Oliver. Yes, *HE* was in violation of item #1 (partisanship, although not so much "partisanship" as merely pointing out bullshit as he sees it - you'll notice he didn't say anything stupidly partisan, such as "Trump is a typical conservative" (at least not that I can remember), and of item #3 (insults - yes, he insulted the holy living hell out of Trump), and if he had written what he said here, on this website, his post would be deleted ... but he didn't, so it's perfectly fine for you to highlight the work of a comedian. Scan this post, and see where I wrote anything that violated one of the four guidelines - I didn't. And if anyone wants to discuss the work of someone (regardless of whether that work is a piece of satire, comedy, or even a serious news article), it's perfectly fine, and if you have any doubts about what you wrote, just run it by me first - you might just be surprised at how tolerant I am, and how *few* posts are deleted here. Just avoid any "snarky" remarks that would make it clear you're making a partisan jab, because those don't fly with me. This country is filled with political conservatives, and also political liberals, and I embrace them all. Same with different religions (have you ever thought how people are much more tolerant these days of different religions than they are of different politics?). Personal insults about people, and policing the website are *never* okay - report any offensive posts to me, and it's my job as moderator to make sure that they're deleted, and that the poster understands *why* they're deleted. Some people simply can't handle being asked to abide by these four simple rules, so they choose to leave - so be it. I understand, and I have nothing against them, but I also think that I am *exceedingly* lenient about what is allowed on this website, and that I moderate with a touch as light as a feather - anyone who thinks otherwise is simply wrong. Take a guess how many posts I've deleted in the past week. Go ahead and guess, and then highlight the space to your right with your cursor to see the answer: one.

This is all very simple, and should be easily understandable by everyone. If it's not, write me, and I'll keep working on it with you until it's clear - I'm willing to take the time to do it.

Finally, please remember that this website's raison d'être is food and drink, which is, by nature, fraternal and inclusive, and should *bring people together* - all of these other things (everything in the Fine Arts Forums, for example), are not central to the website's mission, interesting and important though they may be. And that, my friends, is all there is; four things.]

Here's Oliver's season premier, which aired last night:

6 hours ago, Al Dente said:

"Gun Control Woop-Dee-Doo" is especially well worth a watch.

[I promise this will be the last time I say this, unless I'm forced to ... sometimes, all you need to do is hand someone a rope, sit back, and watch them hang themselves. You'll notice that Oliver did not say one insulting thing to that man or call him any names - he didn't need to.

By extension, nobody here needs to resort to name-calling, about anyone or anything - we have an intelligent readership, and merely pointing out the facts about obvious things is more than enough - in fact, it can be downright hilarious, like it was in "Gun Control Woop-Dee-Doo."]

• Like 3

On 2/21/2017 at 0:39 PM, DonRocks said:

[I promise this will be the last time I say this, unless I'm forced to ... sometimes, all you need to do is hand someone a rope, sit back, and watch them hang themselves. You'll notice that Oliver did not say one insulting thing to that man or call him any names - he didn't need to.

By extension, nobody here needs to resort to name-calling, about anyone or anything - we have an intelligent readership, and merely pointing out the facts about obvious things is more than enough - in fact, it can be downright hilarious, like it was in "Gun Control Woop-Dee-Doo."]

I lied.

I've found all three parts of the Oliver serial on "The Daily Show," which begins with "Gun Control Woop-Dee-Doo" - how was this not nominated for an Emmy?