Flying Dog Double Dead Rise - Dead Rise Made with Old Bay Seasoning in Frederick

pras

Old Bay can be found in almost every house in Maryland. It is ubiquitous. Many think of it as a seasoning for crabs. It is much more than that. I use it on almost EVERYTHING I eat. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Eggs, salad, steaks, chicken, etc. This beer catches the essence of old bay perfectly, much more than the standard Dead Rise. For me, Old Bay is about celery seed and some heat. The celery seed is prominent throughout, with a rising heat at the end. The heat is not over-the-top, but is in balance with the other flavors present. The relatively high alcohol is well hidden, and not noticeable. This beer is good by itself but would pair very well with almost anything that Old Bay pairs with, which is almost everything.

It is a limited production beer, only available on draft.  It is in distribution now.  If you like old bay and see this on tap TRY IT.  Don't hesitate.

• Like 1

This is *not* a statement on Double Dead Rise, because I've never even seen a bottle of this beer before, but I will point out (for the world) what may be quite obvious to you two: herbs and spices can easily mask an inferior product. Witness: the only beer I've ever really liked by DC Brau is Thyme After Thyme, and I'm pretty sure the only reason I like it is because, in general, I enjoy a cold beverage, and I enjoy the taste of thyme - the fact that I don't really love any of their other beers is pretty compelling evidence that it's the thyme that attracts me. I don't like Old Bay except in *very* light doses (I think it absolutely ruins the delicate, sweet taste of Chesapeake Blue Crabs, for example, and yes, I *am* saying that I think 99.9% of Marylanders have gutteral palates). All this said, I really *do* appreciate pras pointing out that celery seed is really the prominent flavor in Old Bay, and that is precisely why I can enjoy it when used with restraint. 

12 hours ago, DonRocks said:

This is *not* a statement on Double Dead Rise, because I've never even seen a bottle of this beer before, but I will point out (for the world) what may be quite obvious to you two: herbs and spices can easily mask an inferior product. Witness: the only beer I've ever really liked by DC Brau is Thyme After Thyme, and I'm pretty sure the only reason I like it is because, in general, I enjoy a cold beverage, and I enjoy the taste of thyme - the fact that I don't really love any of their other beers is pretty compelling evidence that it's the thyme that attracts me. I don't like Old Bay except in *very* light doses (I think it absolutely ruins the delicate, sweet taste of Chesapeake Blue Crabs, for example, and yes, I *am* saying that I think 99.9% of Marylanders have gutteral palates). All this said, I really *do* appreciate pras pointing out that celery seed is really the prominent flavor in Old Bay, and that is precisely why I can enjoy it when used with restraint. 

Don't get me wrong.  I think the tendency with crabs is to over use old bay and mask the flavor of the crab.  I do not like it caked on.  Dead rise has a very subtle Old Bay flavor, and creates a highlight to the beer.  Double Dead Rise upped the Old Bay flavor to make it a bit more prominent, with some building heat.  Again, I think it is restrained, but does a better job of letting the Old Bay shine through.  

With respect to masking an inferior product, I really don't think this is the case here.  I am a huge fan of Flying Dog offerings, but I am also critical when they make something that I don't like (I think their Mint Juliep, currently out sucks).  

For me, Double Dead Rise is perfectly in balance.  Also, if you are looking for a bottle, you won't find it because it is only out on draft.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 6:59 PM, DonRocks said:

FWIW, probably over 90% of the time when you get crabs from a restaurant or take-out place, they use J.O.'s crab seasoning which has some similarities to Old Bay but is not the same thing