Fork & Wrench, Chef Ben Sawyer's "Boutique Dive Bar" on Boston Street in Canton - Closed

Went here to Fork & Wrench in February with friends that are getting married in June (we go next week to Pittsburgh to attend it! And, uh, to hit up Morcilla) as they live in Baltimore and we want to continue our dalliance with exploring Baltimore over time. Parking is pretty tricky in the evenings so we took the valet option, which was pretty reasonable.

The space is nice with some activity down on the street level main floor, but we were seated upstairs with ample seating (and also where the kitchen is). Had a good round of cocktails, followed by a delicious meal. The beef tartare was goos, as was the octopus and a lamb loin 'roll' was very good. Service was good, though when we were done it took a little time to get the check.

All in all a very solid and delicious place to have a nice meal. I will be back.

Fork & Wrench is on their third chef, but all three have been solid choices: Sajin Renae (now in Port Chester, NY) opened the tavern, Cyrus Keefer (now at 13.5% Wine Bar - oops, I take that back), and now Ben Sawyer (previously at Salt Tavern). I've had Ben's cooking at Victoria Gastro Pub (where he was lead line cook), and am looking forward to experiencing him running the show at Fork & Wrench.

Jun 16, 2012 - "Fork & Wrench Raises the Stakes in Canton Dining" by Richard Gorelick on articles.baltimoresun.com

Aug 27, 2015 - "With New Chef, Fork & Wrench Keeps its Focus, Creativity" by Kit Wascom Pollart on baltimoresun.com

May 25, 2016 - "Former Fork & Wrench Chef Opening Italian, Spanish Restaurant in Brewers Hill" by Sarah Meehan on baltimoresun.com

I ate dinner there a couple of years ago. I don't remember many details, but I remember enjoying my meal. I do remember that they made me an interesting and yummy mocktail because I was pregnant at the time -- I really appreciated bartenders who could whip up something more interesting than some mixed juices.

3 hours ago, JDawgBBall9 said:

My thoughts - most of those either tried to do upscale American but just couldn't keep up with the market, chose bad locations, and/or dealt with poor management/decisions.

"Baltimore Restaurant Closing vs. Openings in 2018: How Do They Stack Up?" by Sarah Meehan on baltimoresun.com

As far as ones I'm familiar with:

Modern Cook Shop/Fork & Wrench - same owners, got stale and didn't evolve itself

Rachel - that spot has probably averaged a restaurant a year over the past five or ten years

I liked my one meal at Fork & Wrench well enough. Parking was a bitch though.

4 minutes ago, Pool Boy said:

I liked my one meal at Fork & Wrench well enough. Parking was a bitch though.

I dont doubt it - the progression between your post to start that thread a month after the third chef started and then erica's to end it two years later summed it up quite well