"If I Was a Billionaire" (2016) by Don Rockwell

DonRocks

If I was a billionaire, I'd use that money to buy the most blighted plots of land on earth, in the poorest, most-forgotten parts of poverty-stricken, densely populated cities - I'd make sure the land was cleaned up to the point where it was pristine, fertile, green, and build parks using only native flora, fencing each park with fences of beauty created by artisans using only natural materials, paying guards - destitute locals, perhaps disabled - a living wage to guard them 24 hours a day, with safe, well-lit guardhouses where they could work at night, with computers for them to use during down times, and comfortable beds to rest on when they're tired, naming the parks after local heroes, and giving the people in the poorest parts of the poorest cities in the world a place of refuge, of hope, of peace, and of safety, with works of art commissioned for and created by native artists. A place where people could be happy, where they could get a cold drink of fresh water, where they could have a picnic underneath a shade tree - a place where parents could push their children on swings, and people could play soccer. A place where people could get joy out of life, in places which were previously written off as the worst urban blight imaginable.

And if someone came and destroyed one of the parks, I'd build another in its place, and if they destroyed that one, I'd build another, and I'd keep building them until people realized I wasn't going to stop.

Everyone has their own billion-dollar fantasy, and that is mine.

• Like 1