I don't understand what this is and, admittedly, haven't spent a millisecond of time or energy trying to figure it out.

Signed,

a member of Generation X

I just installed Pokeman Go and I googled how to play.  Apparently you use your phone's GPS function to find locations with Pokeman (walking around physically) and then catch said Pokeman using the camera on your phone.  I think my kids might like this. 

4 minutes ago, dracisk said:

I don't understand what this is and, admittedly, haven't spent a millisecond of time or energy trying to figure it out.

Signed,

a member of Generation X

I honestly think this game will be remembered - long into the future - as having revolutionized the use of the internet. 

Yes, it might literally be in history books.

Remember!

50 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I honestly think this game will be remembered - long into the future - as having revolutionized the use of the internet.

You might be right.

I have now spent 90 seconds to understand this. I hate to sound like a crotchety old lady, but I have little to no interest in playing this game.

My 16 and 19 year olds have been playing incessantly for the last week. They have been taking late night walks to find more Pokemon and hatch their eggs.

No idea if this will last long, but it's definitely an obsession at the moment.

I caught my first Pokeman (other than the test one they give you).  I can't say I know what I'm doing.  I wonder if my 6 year-old will find this interesting. 

1 hour ago, dracisk said:

You might be right.

I have now spent 90 seconds to understand this. I hate to sound like a crotchety old lady, but I have little to no interest in playing this game.

The coolest thing about it, for me, is that it gets you to monuments, sculptures, etc. You know that "historical marker" you've been passing near your home for the past five years? The one you've been telling yourself that you should really stop and read? There's likely a Pokémon hiding there. :)

I think the historic aspect isn't so much "the game itself"; it's the seamless integration of the internet with reality. I guess Google glasses did that to some degree, but I don't know much about those.

It was creepy to see the Bulbasaurus sitting right in front of me on my coffee table.

• Like 3

Note that the company that released this game, Niantic (a Google spinoff), has had a game out there called Ingress for the past few years. It's essentially the same gameplay as Pokemon Go, and the database of waypoints in Pokemon is based on Ingress' database.

So in many ways Ingress was the beta release for Pokemon.

My 19-year-old son is obsessed. I have never seen him voluntarily go on so many walks. Last night he taught himself the Pokemon theme song on his guitar.

I have a 52-year-old friend who loves it, too, and enjoys catching Pokemon with her kids. So far, I have avoided it. Words With Friends already takes up too much of my time!   

17 hours ago, DonRocks said:

The coolest thing about it, for me, is that it gets you to monuments, sculptures, etc. You know that "historical marker" you've been passing near your home for the past five years? The one you've been telling yourself that you should really stop and read? There's likely a Pokémon hiding there. :)

Does it really count as going somewhere if you don't lift your face from your phone the entire time you are there? IMO the Pokemon zombies may even have a decreased appreciation for the monuments, sculptures, etc as they are trivialized into treasure hunt sites rather than being noted for what they are.

I almost ran over 2 kids in an industrial park on bicycles with their noses stuck in their phones yesterday. Tragedy is an inevitable offshoot of this game.

• Like 1

You just know there are assholes out there hunting Pokemon while driving.

I installed it yesterday. Yes, I feel ashamed.

2 hours ago, farmer john said:

Does it really count as going somewhere if you don't lift your face from your phone the entire time you are there? IMO the Pokemon zombies may even have a decreased appreciation for the monuments, sculptures, etc as they are trivialized into treasure hunt sites rather than being noted for what they are.

I almost ran over 2 kids in an industrial park on bicycles with their noses stuck in their phones yesterday. Tragedy is an inevitable offshoot of this game.

I thought about this too, and you're probably right. However, for *me*, personally, there's a park that's just a block from my house that I've never been to - this game will get me there, and I'll take the time to enjoy the park, too. My son said he got some prize for walking ten miles this week.

And remember: Pokémon doesn't kill people; *people* kill people! :lol:

6 hours ago, farmer john said:

I thought about your comment some more this morning. I think what bothers me even more than the situation you describe - which is pretty much the same problem we have with text messaging - is this:

What's preventing a pedophile from sitting in his car, waiting in a desolate industrial park where he knows there's a Pokémon?

(I'm sorry to bring that up so graphically, but somebody needs to.)

On 7/15/2016 at 2:35 PM, DonRocks said:

What's preventing a pedophile from sitting in his car, waiting in a desolate industrial park where he knows there's a Pokémon?

I have read that this has already happened - not a pedophile, but robbers using the "lure" feature in the game.

More from cnn.com: "What Pokémon GO Has To Do with an Armed Robbery and a Dead Body" by Clara Lindh

My older daughter really likes Pokémon Go.  The problem is that we ran out of ballz, and we're terrible at fighting.  I'm sure the gyms are staffed by dedicated juveniles who can easily whoop up a middle-age man and a 6 year old.

How are the pokestops determined/identified?

There is a pokestop behind my office building that's just a small steel sculpture (6 feet high, 4 feet across?). It ain't like people come from miles around to see it-- or even feet around.

8 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

There is a pokestop behind my office building that's just a small steel sculpture (6 feet high, 4 feet across?). It ain't like people come from miles around to see it-- or even feet around.

I have a small sculpture in my house.  I'd like to make it a Pokestop.  :ph34r:

47 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Currently, you have to request a new one (or an existing one be deactivated) by a support form on the Niantic website.

But the Pokemon Go database was created during the beta run of Ingress, which ended last year. People had pretty free reign to create stops in Ingress.

In something of a blatant rip-off, Sprite is capitalizing on the Pokémon Go! craze.

Screenshot 2016-07-31 at 12.01.11.png

(And if you haven't seen the video in my previous post, it's really funny and worth watching.)

---

Dec 11, 2016 ETA - The above example is *exactly* why I capture a screenshot as well as linking. The URL of the link now takes you to something completely different, but the screenshot is locally captured - I would not have remembered what I was referring to had the screenshot not been there.

FYI, you don't HAVE to stare at your screen the whole time.  There is a mode that you literally turn the phone upside down, the screen goes into energy saving mode and stick it in your pocket and it will buzz if you are walking and are close to something.  I know this because I just had an 18 year old with me for the last two weeks in Japan (although the app released really late there thank goodness).  Sadie taught a whole bunch of Japanese people that you could pick the balls back up, she was a good Pokemon samaritan.  You also have no idea how many Pokemon you can catch at the Pokemon megastore in Tokyo (but don't go on Saturday, whew the line is crazy).  Matt on the other hand is trying to get the Poke-stop removed from the tomb of George Washington (they don't mind the others per-se, but don't want one at the tomb out of respect).  All the Pokemon talk I have listened to is fairly overwhelming.

Oh and if you haven't read this article, you should: 

"Pulitzer Prize-Winner Phil Kennicott's Pokémon Go Diary" by Philip Kennicott on washingtonpost.com

This is admittedly kind of nerdy, but I've figured out pretty much of an ideal way to use your Lucky Eggs (you don't get very many of them, so you should use them judiciously).

* Catch as many Pidgeys and Weedles as you can, since they only take 12 points to Evolve (3 catches and transfers). Don't worry about these 3 having good IV - they're really only useful for Evolving and getting points. I have yet to see a Pidgey, Weedle, or, for that matter, a Rattata (which takes 25 XP to Evolve) that is worth much. Common wisdom says to do the same thing with Caterpies, but I have two Kakunas (an evolution of Caterpies) that appraised very highly, so make sure to check your Appraisal for these. I'm going to save up my Caterpie points to Evolve my Kakunas into Beedrills, which, if the Kakuna appraisals are correct, should be good fighting Pokemon.

* The Evolve process takes about 30 seconds if you're focused and fast, so try and save up at least 50, preferably closer to 60, before using a Lucky Egg - when you do it, stay focused, concentrate, and be fast for the full 30 minutes. An Evolve is usually 500 XP, but with a Lucky Egg, it's worth 1,000 XP, so you'll get 50,000-60,000 from this alone.

* These two things are REALLY important, and I haven't seen them written anywhere else; I figured them out myself, but they can provide a tremendous amount of points:

** Save your Lucky Egg Evolve Session for the 7th Day of your Pokemon and Pokestop streak. These are normally worth 2000 XP, but using a Lucky Egg, they'll be worth 4000 XP each!

** Make sure to be camped underneath a Pokestop where a Pokemon is, and as soon as you activate your Lucky Egg, catch your 1st Pokemon of the day, and spin your 1st Pokestop of the day - these are normally worth 500 XP, but with the Lucky Egg, will be worth 1000 XP.

Using this strategy, a Lucky Egg session can be easily worth over 60,000 points, and if you're really good, closer to 70,000.

It's also advantageous to use Lucky Eggs when you're at a higher level, so be patient! Once you get past level 20, the game turns into one hell of a grind. I'm not sure if anyone has notice, but Niantic has released "baby Pokemon" which "precede" the heretofore lowest-level Pokemon - I got a "Smoochum" which is the Pre-Jynx, an my Pokedex now has 238 entries in it, with Smoochum being #238 - I have no Pokemon (except silhouettes) for #141-237, so this is obviously a tease that they'll be releasing more Pokemon - maybe baby Pokemon - in the future. I see no advantage to having these other than collecting them.

Pokemon Go seems to have no End Game, although I'm still trying to learn how to fight at gyms - I can't figure it out. I'm at Level 23, so I've got some good Pokemons; I just have no idea what to do at Pokegyms. Does anyone have a good link for beginning fighters?

This game seems to be more of a "way of life" than it is a "thing to win."

Also, I've only gotten *one* 10km egg, which is *really* frustrating - the higher the kms on the egg, the better Pokemon you hatch. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? And I absolutely *refuse* to spend a penny buying anything - that's where I draw the line.

One more question: If you have a fully evolved Pokemon that appraises well with a really high IV, is there any reason *not* to Power Up to the max, other than a shortage of Stardust?

And another question: Pokemons such as Flareon, Jynx, and Pinsir are almost always worth over 1,000 CP, but they don't (usually) appraise well - is there any reason to hoard these just because they have such high CP? They're starting to become annoying, and I'm thinking maybe I should only keep my best two of each.

I've been using a Magikarp as my buddy, hoping to get a Gyarados, but I can't find a Magikarp with a great Appraisal, so I'm wondering if this is a waste. I have a perfect Ivysaur (literally, perfect - 100% IV), and could use 25 more Bulbasaur candies to Evolve it into a Vensaur, but this damned Magikarp takes *400* candies to Evolve - is there any drawback in switching my buddy to a Bulbasaur, then switching back to the Magikarp after I have my 100 Bulbasaur candies?

Good luck!