19 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

That's right, I forgot to even mention that it's a westward-facing dock, with views extending southerwardly (how's *that* word?) to infinity, so sunsets here are stunning.

Also, as long as I have peoples' attention, I first went to Schultz's Crab House in the 1980s, and have been back a couple of times. It's somewhat unique in that it's in the middle of a residential neighborhood - the last thing you'd expect to see - but there it is, and it was just fabulous the few times I went (but I haven't been in probably fifteen years). I think it should be considered for an "America's Classics" James Beard Award, but it won't be.

The Cheshire Crab is like that too - driving past houses, take a right at the small sign.   It is connected to a marina - last time I was there, I parked in the boat yard beneath two boats, one above the other on those giant racks, the ones that look like cubby holes but big enough for boats.   My Mini Cooper looked like it could be crushed at any second beneath the hulking hulls.  Have fun on your quest!

6 hours ago, jayandstacey said:

Lastly, it might be worth asking - Waterman's might use JO Spice, not Old Bay.   I prefer JO Spice, but too much of either is too much ;)

I thought it was an open secret that most crab houses use JO.  Old Bay is just too damn expensive, even in bulk.  I keep a paper towel handy just to wipe off the excess of either before cracking in.  I do find JO to be less assertive, so the over-spicing isn't as bothersome, but it does have a grittier texture.  A friend liked to remark "Sawdust is the secret ingredient!".

1 hour ago, TedE said:

I thought it was an open secret that most crab houses use JO.  Old Bay is just too damn expensive, even in bulk.  I keep a paper towel handy just to wipe off the excess of either before cracking in.  I do find JO to be less assertive, so the over-spicing isn't as bothersome, but it does have a grittier texture.  A friend liked to remark "Sawdust is the secret ingredient!".

Yeah, and the JO website/blog touts Waterman's as a good place to get crabs...so  I'd give it a 99% confidence rating they're using JO.  But...I've been 99% sure before, only to turn out 100% wrong!

On 8/1/2016 at 3:42 PM, jayandstacey said:

The Cheshire Crab is like that too - driving past houses, take a right at the small sign.   It is connected to a marina - last time I was there, I parked in the boat yard beneath two boats, one above the other on those giant racks, the ones that look like cubby holes but big enough for boats.   My Mini Cooper looked like it could be crushed at any second beneath the hulking hulls.  Have fun on your quest!

How is the Cheshire Crab? I have a friend in Baltimore from Dallas, and he wants the best crabs Baltimore (preferably inside the beltway) has to offer, and he's going tonight! 

Where should he go for fresh, Maryland blue crabs, if price is not an object? It can be a total dive, or it can be upscale - he wants the real product.

I recommended Schultz's in Essex and Cheshire in Pasadena, but those are total guesses at this point - it has been a L-O-N-G time since I've had Maryland Blue Crabs in the Baltimore area - too long for me to feel comfortable recommending anything to him.

9 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

You're the second person I trust who has recommended Nick's Fish House.

Is it reasonable to assume they have their crabs brought in by boat?

Very few places will guarantee ONLY Maryland crabs - one bad harvest day, a storm, or a sick waterman, and all of a sudden you aren't serving crabs that night. And that would mean only serving in season, and they all serve year round.

But I've never had a bad crab meal at either place, and I've gotten both of them to replace a "light" crab with a "heavy" one when there was a bad crab in the dozen.

20 hours ago, DanielK said:

Very few places will guarantee ONLY Maryland crabs - one bad harvest day, a storm, or a sick waterman, and all of a sudden you aren't serving crabs that night. And that would mean only serving in season, and they all serve year round.

But I've never had a bad crab meal at either place, and I've gotten both of them to replace a "light" crab with a "heavy" one when there was a bad crab in the dozen.

I also recommend Nick's Fish House. We ate there many times when visiting Baltimore, and even more when we finally moved to Maryland.

21 hours ago, DanielK said:

What's a light crab? Are you referring to size (jumbos, etc.?)

I also recommend Nick's Fish House. We ate there many times when visiting Baltimore, and even more when we finally moved to Maryland.

And Guapo makes three - sounds like Nick's is the place to try in Baltimore.

14 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

What's a light crab? Are you referring to size (jumbos, etc.?)

Nope, different than size. Crabs that have recently molted are "light" - they will weigh noticeably less than other crabs their size, and there isn't much meat inside. It won't happen that often, but it's a good test of whether a place knows what they are doing that they'll exchange it without a fuss.

Read more

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:29 PM, DonRocks said:

How is the Cheshire Crab? I have a friend in Baltimore from Dallas, and he wants the best crabs Baltimore (preferably inside the beltway) has to offer, and he's going tonight! 

Where should he go for fresh, Maryland blue crabs, if price is not an object? It can be a total dive, or it can be upscale - he wants the real product.

I recommended Schultz's in Essex and Cheshire in Pasadena, but those are total guesses at this point - it has been a L-O-N-G time since I've had Maryland Blue Crabs in the Baltimore area - too long for me to feel comfortable recommending anything to him.

Sorry, was away on business travel and didn't see this.

I can't say definitively yeah or nay on Cheshire Crab.   I don't recall it being a standout out good or bad; though I may have reviewed it here.   I only recall my 12' mini cooper parked under a hulking 24' boat.  Pretty odd feeling!