On 8/2/2016 at 5:03 PM, DaveO said:

I notice from this article that two of these places have "Gingersnap Gravy" - is this a Baltimore "thing?" If so, what is it? For so long, Washington, DC has tried to come up with a city specialty - why don't they go to some of their old-time, family-owned restaurants (what few there are left), and see what they served fifty years ago? They've come up with "Mumbo Sauce," and Gingersnap Gravy has proven that it doesn't need to be anything fancy.

Sauerbraten is traditionally served with a pan sauce thickened with gingersnaps. There's some discussion of this in the S&C forum; I think there was a thread about marinating foods awhile back. The Baltimore "thing" is likely adopted German cuisine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DonRocks said:

If so, what is it? For so long, Washington, DC has tried to come up with a city specialty - why don't they go to some of their old-time, family-owned restaurants (what few there are left), and see what they served fifty years ago? They've come up with "Mumbo Sauce," and Gingersnap Gravy has proven that it doesn't need to be anything fancy.

What better way for DonRockwell.com to gain additional notoriety than to determine and crown DC's signature dish(es)?   The members here have the industry gravitas and independence that would likely make such a determination sticky.   And there are lots of examples where sponsorship of some 'flag' is sustaining for the business or organization (think Oscars, Hot Dog eating contests, Winston cup, etc)  Just an off-topic thought...

2 hours ago, porcupine said:

Sauerbraten is traditionally served with a pan sauce thickened with gingersnaps. There's some discussion of this in the S&C forum; I think there was a thread about marinating foods awhile back. The Baltimore "thing" is likely adopted German cuisine.

I read through the sauerbraten comments as referenced above.  As is often the case the S&C comments included some great posts.