Mark Dedrick

Hazel, Modern American on 9th and V Street in Shaw - Chef Rob Rubba Comes from Tallula

No full report here, but we had dinner with friends maybe a month or so ago. We tried almost everything on the menu and it was overall good to very good. It would be good to head back with just my wife and I to be able to taste more than a bite or so of each dish. Good cocktails. Annoyingly laid out menu/drinks list though I must say. Good service. Overall very good experience. Took quite a bit of circling to find parking, but ultimately successful. Worth at least a second look back from my perspective.

Went here for the first time Saturday night for dinner.  Earlier in the week, I went on OpenTable to try to get a reservation and was told that there were zero reservations Saturday night--none.  Suspicious that a restaurant like this would be booked solid in advance, I tried calling to speak with a hostess, but no one answered the phone (during service hours and outside of service hours) when I entered the extension to be connected to a hostess.  Annoying.   

Undeterred, we showed up at 7:45 to find the restaurant half-empty.  I feel like supposed unavailable reservations may have led to this.  Anyway, We were immediately seated at the huge, lovely outdoor patio.  Trying to eat less meat, we had our eye on the "fall harvest feast", which is described on the menu as below:

image.png.d93caab6b93918486682901d9c2d1741.png

I'm not sure if this was fair, but I expected a cornucopia of fall veggies.   Instead, it was simply four of the regular dishes off the menu (with black truffles as a special add-on for one), brought together on a lazy susan.  In fact, the four items on the menu would have cost $57 if ordered separately--and that doesn't include that the chicken was removed from the mapo dish on the menu to keep it vegetarian here.  Maybe the black truffles bridged the gap?  Still odd. 

We ordered it anyway and were glad we did.  It came out in about 10 minutes.  The beets were probably our least favorite--a taddd bit too hard, and not really spicy.  Still tasty though because I love beets.  The carrots were barbecued style and tasted like it without being too sweet.  The onion ciabatta was incredibly soft and flavorful.  Finally, the squash mapo was our favorite.  It was soft and tender, with a great level of numbing peppercorns.  I would eat this dish consistently, and imagine it would have been even better with the diced chicken.  

I'd love to go back, especially if it's nice enough to eat outside. 

• Like 2

I am a little surprised that they were half full at peak time on a Saturday, so it might be an Opentable snafu.  On our recent visits, it's been mostly to completely full.  I really like Hazel overall.

I am pretty sure that restaurants can decide what table inventory they want to expose to Opentable (or other ressie systems) or not as they so desire. Sometimes, restaurants want the ability to leave x% open to walkins for example.

On 10/27/2017 at 10:35 PM, Pool Boy said:

I am pretty sure that restaurants can decide what table inventory they want to expose to Opentable (or other ressie systems) or not as they so desire. Sometimes, restaurants want the ability to leave x% open to walkins for example.

OpenTable has great flexibility in the table inventory, the pacing (how many covers it will allow in a certain time period) and party size.

• Like 1