Five Guys - A Virginia Chain That Has Become The McDonald's Of The Fast-Casual Burger World

A new Five Guys, International Square, in DC. Long lines for lunch. I had a bacon burger and fries. As the sign on the

wall says "all meat cooked well done." That probably means you won't get E. Coli. It also means that completely gray

and overcooked is the standard. Better than most fast food, but not great. The fries were limp and greasy. Not a

very good experience.

While Five Guys is not gourmet by any stretch of the word, I must say my experience was totally different than yours. I've been once since they opened myself, and snuck a few fries from a coworker another time. Both times I was impressed by how crisp the fries were--Also, no long lines if you don't go at "peak" luinch time. The burger itself was well done as promised, but not "gray" and certainly wasn't dry. (Maybe it's better when they're not swamped) When one works in the area, can't spend time out to "dine" at a restaurant, is on a budget, and is craving a burger, this does the trick. Have you ever tried a burger from any one of the numerous deli/hot & cold food bars that over populate the district? And that is precisely why they'll do well in this location, and I'm happy to have them here.

The question is: WILL they cook it medium-rare? If so, it still has hope in the immediate term as something better then McDonald's.

I would suggest that the ideal is quite the opposite. IMHO, a Five Guys patty is a vehicle for a little tasty char, nothing more. This is the crux of the thin-patty vs thick-patty argument. If they could do away entirely with the pretense of ground beef patties and somehow engineer solidified pan drippings with the same thickness, it'd be even better. Cooked less, you're not going to find a lovely tartare hiding in there. That's what makes it better than, say, a Sonic burger (which is still pretty good for a chain). With either, the sum of the other toppings and the bun are sufficient alone trump McDonald's.

BTW, Five Guys' Atlanta franchisee seems to be chugging along with a vengeance. I must have passed three or four locations just between Duluth and Marietta, and the locals seem to love the concept.

That's what makes it better than, say, a Sonic burger (which is still pretty good for a chain).

Agh, please don't mention Sonic. Not because I have anything against them. I love Sonic. Their burgers are above average for fast food, but the TOTS, man, the tots.

I know Sonic isn't NoVA-friendly because of the large footprint they take up, but they should seriously build a few locations out in the Loudoun and Manassas area where there's room for one of them.

And I just looked it up - there's one in Fredericksburg now:

10045 JEFFERSON DAVIS HIGHWAY (Route 1)

FREDERICKSBURG, VA 22407-9418

That's still too damned far for Fairfax-dwellers, especially since it entails I-95. I was just down there this Friday because someone FINALLY set up a Zero's Subs there. Grub Steak and Cheese cravings are the worst.

Agh, please don't mention Sonic. Not because I have anything against them. I love Sonic. Their burgers are above average for fast food, but the TOTS, man, the tots. ...

That's still too damned far for Fairfax-dwellers, especially since it entails I-95. I was just down there this Friday because someone FINALLY set up a Zero's Subs there. Grub Steak and Cheese cravings are the worst.

Yeah, I wish Sonic would rethink its fryer strategy, beyond the french fries. Also, Virginia seems to have completed the bypass of old Rt 29 through Lynchburg, so I didn't get my Sonic fix until Kentucky on the return trip.

Sonic burger (which is still pretty good for a chain).
OK, y'all win. I had Sonic for the first time today. They're in Ephrata about 8 miles outside Lancaster PA heading northeast. The carhop bounded out with bacon cheeseburger, o-rings and a cranberry limeaide. Question: How much do y'all tip for that (especially in winter)? There's more "service" than just going through the drive-up window and the carhop offered to run for sauces or additional items.

Good way to leave this year "behind" and mark the beginning of '007.

[Maybe Sonic could be split-off into its own thread and include comments from the hamburger thread]

I just came back from the Germantown Five Guys. My co-workers were raving about it so I decided to join them. BIG MISTAKE!!

This could possibly be one of THE worst burgers I've ever had. The burger patty was bland and tasted mostly of oil. The bun was soggy and soft. The fries were also soggy and tasted mostly of oil. I'm not sure if the bags of potatoes in the front are just for show, but it really tastes like they use fresh potatoes but only fry them once. I threw away half my hamburger and only ate a small handful of fries because it was all so bad.

Maybe I'm being unfair because my preference is different. I prefer medium rare, well seasoned, slightly charred burgers on toasted buns. Of course, I'm not going to get that at FG. Regardless, even when I compare FG to their competition, they still lose. I'd MUCH rather have a McD's burger (and that's saying something). Jack In The Box is still my favorite fast food burger. JitB burgers - especially when server on toasted sourdough - are badass!

On the upside: the service was very pleasant, I like the variety of toppings, and we were able to fax in order ahead of time. But other than that....sorry....I just don't get the hype.

You know, I've been regarded as blasphemous for having decried Five Guys in favor of In-N-Out (I compare them because, in my mind, they are similar homegrown, local chains). I never thought their burgers were anything special and in fact, their food as a whole is far too greasy for me.

I'll take a double double, animal style and a black and white shake any day over 5Gs.

You know, I've been regarded as blasphemous for having decried Five Guys in favor of In-N-Out (I compare them because, in my mind, they are similar homegrown, local chains). I never thought their burgers were anything special and in fact, their food as a whole is far too greasy for me.

I have now tried 5 Guys and found that they are extremely generous in sharing their peanut oil. Peanut oil for all! The burger was OK, not really beefy but with excellently crispy bacon, which overwhelms other flavors anyway. The fries were not quite dry - a bit oil-soaked - but would have been very good if they'd been left in the fryer an extra couple of minutes. I felt soooo greasy and a tad queasy when I finished eating (most of the burger, < half of the small fries).

I waited 4 years to try them and I don't think I'll feel the need to go back anytime soon.

It was really really good back in the day. These days after expansion it does not resemble the original. I was out with the girls over weekend and stopped into the Kentlands 5 Guys and it really sucked.

Sorry, but it did - and I have been a believer for a while, but it is just not the same.

The burger was flavorless, the fries were limp. At least the original owners made a fortune when they sold out. Maybe they can start up something good again after their non compete runs out.

I had a Five Guys burger the other day and for it being well cooked I thought it wasn't too bad. I had mine with bacon, cheese, mayo, tomatoes and fried onions and it was a delicious combo. The fries were light and crispy.

I'll take a double double, animal style and a black and white shake any day over 5Gs.

Last week I ate at three different In-n-Out Burgers in CA in three days. The day before I left I was at Five Guys in Reston.

At its best Five Guys' burgers are not as good although their french fries may actually be better. Of course In-n-Out has something called "well done fries Animal style" (i.e. with "spread," grilled onions and melted cheese) that blow away about any french fry I've had on this side of the Atlantic including Thresher's on the lower end of the Ocean City Boardwalk.

I already miss In-n-Out.

I hadn't been to a Five Guys in a few years until late last night in Rockville Town Center after seeing There Will Be Blood (hence the sig line). I ordered a cheeseburger and fries and, I gotta say, enjoyed the hell out of it. I mean, it was great for what it was-- a juicy greasy burger and freshly-fried fries. For a burger that was nearly cooked through it was very good. I even liked the American cheese on top.

I hadn't been to a Five Guys in a few years until late last night in Rockville Town Center after seeing There Will Be Blood (hence the sig line). I ordered a cheeseburger and fries and, I gotta say, enjoyed the hell out of it. I mean, it was great for what it was-- a juicy greasy burger and freshly-fried fries. For a burger that was nearly cooked through it was very good. I even liked the American cheese on top.

I had my first and so far only experience with Five Guys a few weeks ago...

(Wait a minute--that sounded really wrong.)

I tried Five Guys for the first and so far only time a few weeks go.

(Ah, jeez...)

I was at a Five Guys restaurant for the first and so far only time a few weeks ago--the new one down by the Navy Yard/Stadium area--and really liked it for the same reasons Al mentioned. And service was good, too. After I placed three orders of fries for us and the two kids, the woman at the register told me how big the portions were, and actually suggested I cancel two of the orders. So I did and she refunded the money. How cool is that?

For a griddle-fried, overcooked burger topped with carcinogenic fake cheese it was "pretty good"? Dude, what did you wash it back with, bong water?

This chain should be nuked. Same as they do to their patties.

For a griddle-fried, overcooked burger topped with carcinogenic fake cheese it was "pretty good"? Dude, what did you wash it back with, bong water?

This chain should be nuked. Same as they do to their patties.

Well, I was REALLY hungry. And I had iced tea, thank you very much.

I guess I've lost my one remaining shred of credibility 'round here. :mellow:

How bout that Citronelle joint? They sure cook up a mean meal. Could use a salad bar though.

I hear you about In-N-Out - when I land in CA, that is usually the first thing I seek (after my luggage)!

After I get my luggage, I go past two In-N-Outs on my way to Guelaguetza in Palms, to get me some barbacoa de cabrito and a banana-leaf-wrapped chicken tamal with mole negro de Oaxaca.

After I get my luggage, I go past two In-N-Outs on my way to Guelaguetza in Palms, to get me some barbacoa de cabrito and a banana-leaf-wrapped chicken tamal with mole negro de Oaxaca.

After I get my luggage I go to Tommy's for a double chili cheeseburger, chili cheese fries and a (no coke) pepsi. I'll hit In-n-Out a couple days later usually.

But I love 5 Guys too. I recently had one after a long lay-off at the newly opened one in Dupont. It tasted pretty darn good, just like I remember a decade ago when I went for the first time to the one in VA. Both for fries and burger it is a huge leap over any other chain out here.

Friday night. Wife wants burger. I don't want to cook. I say, "hey sweetcakes, I went to Five Guys coupla weeks ago and had a burger you'd really like. And hey, their website says there's another location 1/2 mile up the road!"

Wife takes bait. I drive over and order 2 cheeseburgers and 2 fries. I rush home. Face-stuffing commences.

The burgers were dry, dull, and a little gamey. The fries ranged from pretty decent to way undercooked.

Regret and shame set in. I guess I went to the wrong Guy. ;)

Which location did you go to? That actually seems to matter quite a bit.

Friday night. Wife wants burger. I don't want to cook. I say, "hey sweetcakes, I went to Five Guys coupla weeks ago and had a burger you'd really like. And hey, their website says there's another location 1/2 mile up the road!"

Wife takes bait. I drive over and order 2 cheeseburgers and 2 fries. I rush home. Face-stuffing commences.

The burgers were dry, dull, and a little gamey. The fries ranged from pretty decent to way undercooked.

Regret and shame set in. I guess I went to the wrong Guy. ;)

I'm not sure exactly how quality varies from location to location, mostly since I can only easily walk to 2-3 of them, but my extensive research does show that taking one's Five Guys to-go (even if you're only commuting a short distance) is vastly inferior to eating in. The fries are particularly unappetizing when allowed to sit in the bag and steam/soak up grease for more than a moment or two.

Yet I keep going back...mmm, grease... ;)

Although I have eaten a million burgers in my life, I don't find myself to have a pre-determined view of what a great burger should be (same with pizza for me as well). Anyway, with that being said, Five Guys never disappoints me. As good as Palena or Central? Of course not, but I find it to be light years ahead of its more direct competition, places like Fuddrucker's or Best Buns or Joe's Burgers or Elevation Burger. I have heard that the location you pick has a lot to do with your experience, which is a real shame, but I can say that the places that I have been to have always served up good burgers, that aren't too messy, and pretty consistently crispy fries.

Although I have eaten a million burgers in my life, I don't find myself to have a pre-determined view of what a great burger should be (same with pizza for me as well). Anyway, with that being said, Five Guys never disappoints me. As good as Palena or Central? Of course not, but I find it to be light years ahead of its more direct competition, places like Fuddrucker's or Best Buns or Joe's Burgers or Elevation Burger. I have heard that the location you pick has a lot to do with your experience, which is a real shame, but I can say that the places that I have been to have always served up good burgers, that aren't too messy, and pretty consistently crispy fries.

Which locations are you talking about? I so, so wanted to love the Five Guys that opened at the International Square eatery at 19th and K, but after 4-5 tries and not a single crispy fry, I've given up.

I grabbed take away from the one across the street from the Navy Yard today and it was my best Five Guys experience yet. The little burger is just big enough to satisfy my craving but not make me feel like a tub of lard and the fries were fried to perfection and maintained their crisp in the cup as we drove home.

the fries were fried to perfection and maintained their crisp in the cup as we drove home.

Five Guys is indeed much better in the store, but if you take it away the key is to leave the bag of fries open a crack. They may lose some heat, but that is far better than letting them steam in the bag.

Which locations are you talking about? I so, so wanted to love the Five Guys that opened at the International Square eatery at 19th and K, but after 4-5 tries and not a single crispy fry, I've given up.

I don't go to any of the locations in the city, all of them are out in the burbs. The new one that has opened in Fairfax, close to the intersection of 29/50/236 has been great so far. Before that one opened, I would go to the one in Fairfax Town Center and always had good fries.

After several very mediocre Five Guys' burgers, I started wondering what all the fuss was about. And comparisons to my home state's In-N-Out? Hah! Ok, so the first two were from the location at National Airport, so I knew I had to cut the chain some slack. I still haven't had a great Five Guys burger in VA (but my experience there is slight). However, my last three burgers at the Chinatown location have been terrific. After the first, I thought "wow, I finally get it." I'm still not a huge fan of the well-done burger, but the flavorful toppings and good bun more than make it a good bite. That said, I nearly always have to remove a patty (or two! - last time it came stacked three high!) in order to really appreciate the burger.

After several very mediocre Five Guys' burgers, I started wondering what all the fuss was about. And comparisons to my home state's In-N-Out? Hah! Ok, so the first two were from the location at National Airport, so I knew I had to cut the chain some slack. I still haven't had a great Five Guys burger in VA (but my experience there is slight). However, my last three burgers at the Chinatown location have been terrific. After the first, I thought "wow, I finally get it." I'm still not a huge fan of the well-done burger, but the flavorful toppings and good bun more than make it a good bite. That said, I nearly always have to remove a patty (or two! - last time it came stacked three high!) in order to really appreciate the burger.

The "Little" burger at 5Gs has only one patty.

They post nutritional information now. I added up my usual order: just shy of 1,500 calories. Each one more heart-cloggingly delicious than the last.

I'm clocking in at 1,536. They've been crafty with their chart: Break the burger down into its constituent parts, so the abominable total appears nowhere. (In my case, the burger totals 916 calories.) (This assumes one piece of cheese. I can't recall if they use two.) Then they cut the order of fries in half. A regular human being might eat only half. Not me. Give me all 620 calories worth, please.

Hamburger? It's HamMURDER!

(At least I take mustard on my burger -- zero calories -- and hold the mayo.)

Shady Grove Road in the shopping center with the Home Depot.

I just went to this one for lunch today. The fries were nice and crispy, and well seasoned (I got the cajun style). I got the little burger with everything and it was pretty good. I've been to a few different Five Guys, and every time I think that it's just "pretty good." Maybe I just don't get it or I haven't been to the right one yet. But as others have said, it ain't no In-N-Out...

There's a new one in Fairfax (City?), off Route 50/29 (right before the split) in a not-yet-fully-tenanted or finished development on the right (heading West). I haven't been, but the coworkers keep going back, and it's only been open for a couple of weeks!

Fairfax Market Place

10940 Lee Highway, Fairfax, VA 22030

Had my first Five Guys today. Gotta respect them for using fresh ingredients and all, but the food was strangely devoid of flavor. The peanuts were a little past their prime, the burger needed salt to bring out any flavor, the grilled onions looked like pre cut chopped onions (or onions put theu a french fry cutter with amazing skill) warmed on the grill (22 pieces too, I was able to count them. Defintely in the fast food category and I could see going back when options were limited. I have been known to partake of a BK Angus Burger (only after midnight when all my usual eating places in Wheaton are closed except for HEOTB and I don't feel like that) and it has better flavor, but is a far more grevious insult to the environment so I think I'd go back to 5G before another BK, if both are open.

I visited my family in Indiana during the Easter holiday. Just in case you are ever in Noblesville, Indiana, and find yourself craving Five Guys, there is now a location on I-69, at Exit 10.

(I didn't know whether to be excited or devestated by this development.)

Actually, I find that Five Guys have held up their quality control amazingly well despite the expansion. Every burger is just as delicious as the one before it. And man, those fries... Mmm mmm
It really depends on which Five Guys you walk into. I once got some burgers to go, and when I started to eat them, discovered that although they got my toppings right, on one of the burgers they forgot to add the meat.

It really depends on which Five Guys you walk into. I once got some burgers to go, and when I started to eat them, discovered that although they got my toppings right, on one of the burgers they forgot to add the meat.
:rolleyes:<_<:lol:

I visited my family in Indiana during the Easter holiday. Just in case you are ever in Noblesville, Indiana, and find yourself craving Five Guys, there is now a location on I-69, at Exit 10.
My cousin reports there is now one in Chicago, on Claybourn Ave. somewhere.

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I've my fair share. Most recently, the fries at Five Guys in Springfield impressed me. On the daily message board, the part of Idaho they come from is written. They are fried to perfection and malt vinegar is offered. Very good.

Nor am I an expert on Five Guys, but it's been a long time since I've seen any Five Guys potatoes that come from anywhere other than Rigby, Idaho.

From their FAQ (emphasis my own):

Q: Why does Five Guys only serve burgers cooked well done?

A: By cooking all of our burgers juicy and well done we are able to achieve two goals.

Insure a consistent product

Meet or exceed health code standards for ground beef

We understand that there are varying opinions on what level a burger should be cooked for optimal flavor and our opinion is that our burgers taste best cooked juicy and well done.

My, my, how Sigmund Freud might have a field day with this one.

I'm just trying to figure out how, in terms of burgers, the terms "juicy" and "well-done" can be used in the same sentence......
By using meat with an astonomically high fat content so that the protein may indeed be "well done" but there is still enough retained fat to be "juicy."

By using meat with an astonomically high fat content so that the protein may indeed be "well done" but there is still enough retained fat to be "juicy."

Which gives a whole new meaning to the context of this thread: "Five Guys, A case study in overexpansion"