Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Etc. (Global Entry Is Probably What You Want)

DonRocks

Now that I'm doing more international travel for work I asked if they'd pay for it and they said yes. So I filled out the application today, and have to wait for however long. My nearest airport to do the interview is Charlotte, about two hours away, which isn't ideal. But I guess it beats waiting in line when you're dead tired. My mom got it done at the Reagan Building last year when I was still in DC. Her sister also applied but accidentally did it for Albuquerque of all places but was able to walk in with my mom and wait about 5 minutes before they took her in.

We in DC don't realize how lucky we are to have an outlet at the Reagan Building.

Global Entry (or TSA Check, or whatever they call it) is *awesome*.

I cannot emphasize how important it is to enter your number when you book your ticket online. It's absolutely imperative - if you don't, it's like not even being a member.

9 hours ago, DonRocks said:

We in DC don't realize how lucky we are to have an outlet at the Reagan Building.

I live in the San Franciso Bay Area, and my Global Entry application was accepted on Sept. 12 of last year. I'd love to tell you how my interview went, but it hasn't happened yet. On the day of my acceptance, the next available opening for an appointment at SFO was April 19, 2017.

On 12/7/2016 at 8:49 AM, Simul Parikh said:

Hey  - does Mobile Passport add anything to Global Entry? Does anyone have it? It's a free service. Some sites say that the Global Entry program is getting more popular and the Mobile Passport line is basically empty.

Based on a single experience, for now I'd say don't bother. We were returning from overseas through Atlanta last month and had three hours to kill, so decided to try Mobile Passport. From being among the first dozen or so people off the plane we ended up at the very back of the regular line, because the MP kiosk printed our receipts with big Xs on them. I asked a TSA member if we could backtrack to the Global Entry kiosks and try again. We had to explain to other TSA personnel what we were doing, but they were sympathetic, and all nodded their heads when one of them said, "just never bother with Mobile Passport, especially if you have Global Entry; it's not worth it."

Also, I hope I never have to return via ATL again. What a mess. At least we managed to kill that extra time. 

Not sure if this an option, but from what I understood from the GE people and the lack of appts available at IAD, people make GE interview appts at other airports based on travel plans...sometimes the lesser travelled hubs may be a layover option on a business or personal trip and appts made for GE interviews at these airports would be much faster.

Yes, those who live in, or close proximity to DC are spoiled as we have two airports (one of which is Int'l) and often times other immediate service options for passports, and in this case GE interviews or processing.

• Like 1

The rule with GE Interviews is to keep checking for close appointments that work with your travel schedule.   There might be a six month wait but then the next day you might find an appointment the next week - and this works nationwide so if you travel you might find a convenient appointment somewhere that you have a few hours free.  I few years ago my wife and I did the interview in Seattle on the way to Alaska back when the wait in the DC area was very bad.

• Like 1

I applied February 15, got a notice on Sunday night I could schedule my interview, and now I'm set for April 3rd in Charlotte (first available). I checked for an appointment on Monday, and it had nothing available in Charlotte (it wouldn't even let me look at the calendar). Then I checked yesterday and the month of April was wide open -- I guess they open them up 30 days out? My wife applied last night, so I guess there's a slim chance she could get approved and we could do an April appointment together. I just checked and my day is now full, but the back half of the month is wide open.

We saw some friends this weekend who moved from DC to Seattle, and one of them has already gotten it but her husband is unable to schedule an appointment. He said he got approved, and checked every day to schedule time in Seattle but nothing became available, and after a certain period of time (30? 90 days?) they wouldn't let him even attempt to schedule. And of course whenever he calls no one answers. He now travels quite a bit to DC for work and I encouraged him to do the walk-in at the Reagan building.

FYI:  I just renewed my Global Entry (It was set to expire in August).  I had to re-submit the info already saved in the GOES system, add the new countries I've visited, and pay.  Within a week they wrote me back saying I was approved and extended the expiration date of my existing number/card to my birthday in 2022.  I did not have to be re-interviewed, although I have heard some people do need to go back in.  

3 hours ago, Rieux said:

FYI:  I just renewed my Global Entry (It was set to expire in August).  I had to re-submit the info already saved in the GOES system, add the new countries I've visited, and pay.  Within a week they wrote me back saying I was approved and extended the expiration date of my existing number/card to my birthday in 2022.  I did not have to be re-interviewed, although I have heard some people do need to go back in.  

Aren't the cards good for five years? Did you join in 2012? If so, I didn't even know the program was that old - you're a prescient man.

Yes, 5 years. I started the renewal a few months early so as to not have a lapse. Also, when you work in international development and travel monthly it's a lifesaver so I jumped on it a few months after it started. 

I also renewed a few months ago, having signed up in late 2011.  Interesting how the interview timing has changed.  My wife and I got ours at Dulles about a week after we signed up and we did it together.  It was worth it even before the Pre-Check benefit (Pre-Check wasn't available then).  I've gotten very spoiled by GE and I'm only outside the country 4 or 5 times a year. 

3 hours ago, Simul Parikh said:

Just found out that CLEAR program is only $79 for Delta Skymiles members. And $50 for each family member. That's not bad. Can really come just 30 minutes before your flight, then. 

This is the first I've ever heard of the program  - is there a reason to have it if you have TSA Pre-Check? I found this article, but haven't yet read it:"

CLEAR Expedited Airport Security Program - Is It Worthwhile?" on thepointsguy.com

Well, sometimes I go to the airport and the lines are crazy at Dulles or DCA- both the pre check and the peon line. I nearly missed a flight to Canada a few months ago (generosity of strangers letting me pass was the only reason we made it). If you have Clear, you just scan your prints and go right to front of line. My friend was about to miss his flight the other day- signed up on the spot and made the flight. 

29 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

Well, sometimes I go to the airport and the lines are crazy at Dulles or DCA- both the pre check and the peon line. 

Q: What happens when you drink too much water and you don't have Pre-Check?

A: You have to pee on line.