46 minutes ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

Here goes nothing..

Bear with me & my excitement in stirring a new following toward South Central Pennsylvania Dining 

Stay tuned for my first review!!!

It might be your first review here in awhile, Kat, but you've been a member here for over eleven years, and actually started one of the most popular threads we've ever had: "Please Introduce Yourselves," with over 1,600 posts and 100,000 views.

Welcome back, and we're lucky to have you. 

Folks, Kat used to work at Corduroy, and now lives in York, PA, which is a straight shot up I-83 from Baltimore.

Don't worry about titling or tagging - I've got you covered with those two - we need mega-content from your area, and if you know anyone from that rapidly developing dining scene, please have them join us.

As Leo Steiner (who should still be with us) once said, "Who knows, you might become famous!"

Isn't this better than all that "Sieg Heil" bullshit?

• Like 2

I cannot remember which of the markets has the Markethouse pickle stand, but their sweethot pickles are the most sublime pickles on the planet. Truly. And it is always fun trying all forms of ham spread at any of these markets.

Kitkatpaddywak - I have not been to Bel Paese (I think that is what it is called) in a while (maybe 3 or 4 years). Have you been recently? What do you think?

On 2/12/2017 at 4:07 PM, Pool Boy said:

I cannot remember which of the markets has the Markethouse pickle stand, but their sweethot pickles are the most sublime pickles on the planet. Truly. And it is always fun trying all forms of ham spread at any of these markets.

Kitkatpaddywak - I have not been to Bel Paese (I think that is what it is called) in a while (maybe 3 or 4 years). Have you been recently? What do you think?

So sorry for the delay in my response, but to answer your question, I have not been to Bel Paese in several years. Its was one of my favorites, and I need to add it back in my rotation. There are two other Italian restaurants that I may reccomend that I have dined at on multiple occasions.  Moonlight in Dover is most definitely worth the trip, as well as Tutoni's on North George St. 

The market you speak of is New Eastern Market on the east end of town. Wonderful selections of what local purveyors have to offer fill that building every Friday afternoon. 

You should certainly make an effort to visit  Bel Paese, and report back! I look forward to reading your review! 

- kat

I love to eat. This is no surprise. I also love to share spots that I enjoy with the masses, in hopes that they take my review, and visit said restaurant. York is where I grew up, and have returned to. There are plenty of some what good  restaurants. The issue I have with spots in this town is that they make a great first impression, but when I return for another meal, not so much. Does this happen in the DMV as well? Consistency is not their strong suit here. I've been to a few pop- ups that I raved  about, but it was short lived.  Am I too picky? Is my palate high maintenance? 

Asking for a friend,

kat

On 12/15/2017 at 7:56 AM, Escoffier said:

While it's not in PA, it's close and, if you're in the Gettysburg area, worth the short trip.  I'm talking about the Carriage House Inn in Emmitsburg. (and then there's Crosskeys Diner in New Oxford for late night/early morning hangover food).

I actually live near New Oxford, and have driven by said diner countless times withouth thinking of even stopping in for a bite. I shall have to remedy that, and try it out. Thanks for the rec! 

Right under my nose,

kat

On 12/15/2017 at 6:14 AM, DonRocks said:

Kat, it's everywhere now (and has been, long before I first used the term - the phenomenon paralleled the rise of the internet), and you've fallen victim to Review Season.

Ugh. My hopes were peaked, to only be disappointed. York certainly has improved since I last resided here, but I find most of the spots are  over the top in trying to impress diners with gimmicky dishes. Most of the time , all I want is comfort food not “KFC” fried cauliflower with a overly sweet hot sircacha sauce. Just give me honest good food prepared well. 

Fussy patron,

kat

14 minutes ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

I actually live near New Oxford, and have driven by said diner countless times withouth thinking of even stopping in for a bite. I shall have to remedy that, and try it out. Thanks for the rec! 

Right under my nose,

kat

I used to date someone from Littlestown and Crosskeys was our after-date munchies destination.  It's grown a lot since the first time I went there but the food is still diner.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Escoffier said:

I used to date someone from Littlestown and Crosskeys was our after-date munchies destination.  It's grown a lot since the first time I went there but the food is still diner.

I love a stellar diner that serves blue plate specials. Don’t get me wrong, I love the white table cloth establishments, but a proper diner is a dying breed. 

kat

13 hours ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

Ugh. My hopes were peaked, to only be disappointed. York certainly has improved since I last resided here, but I find most of the spots are  over the top in trying to impress diners with gimmicky dishes. Most of the time , all I want is comfort food not “KFC” fried cauliflower with a overly sweet hot sircacha sauce. Just give me honest good food prepared well. 

Fussy patron,

kat

Things like this are the stages a maturing food town must go through before it reaches adulthood, unfortunately. At some point, a real restaurant serving honest food will open, and you'll know when it happens. 

• Like 1