Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, Midtown Village - 21 North Juniper Street Across From City Hall

Dr. Delicious

This is a 15 story hotel, in an beautiful ornate building right across the street from City Hall. The lobby is small, but well appointed, and there were always many staff available to help. The car valet area is also small, given the corner on which the hotel is situated, and can lead to backups on the street. However, if you pull around the side, street parking has been set aside as a loading area for guests. Also, if you continue straight down Juniper for a block and a half, you can park in the convention center parking garage for over $10 cheaper per 24 hours than at the valet. Of course, you can't enter and leave for that savings, so you'll have to be prepared to leave your car there. This is no problem due to the location of the hotel, which is central to many of the sights. We walked to the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc. We walked to the Italian Market. We walked to South St. We walked to Reading Terminal market. I think we could have walked to the Rocky Steps/Art Museum. Anyway, you can't beat the location.

There are 3 elevators, and given the size of the hotel and the speed in which they move, the hotel could stand to have 1 or 2 more. Be prepared to wait. Also, for safety reasons, you need your room key to get above the 2nd floor, so make sure you get plenty of keys when you check in.

The room was "recently renovated", and included 2 queen beds. Neither large nor small, it adequately accommodated 4 adults and one 5 yr old for a 1-night stay. The room was modern, black and white color scheme, and had comfortable beds and pillows. The shower and toilet were separated from the sink area, making it easier for multiple people to get ready at the same time. Free wifi, with the option to pay for enhanced speed. Working and responsive thermostat.

There's also a small, but useful, 7-11 one block away.

• Like 1

There's also an adjacent Residence Inn, and the Philadelphia Marriott is on the back half of the same block. We always stay at one of these three properties when in Philly - unless there's a major event, you can always get a good promo rate at one of the three.

The Art Museum is definitely walkable, though it's about 30 minutes. Zahav, Vetri are also walking distance - we almost never move the car for Philly weekends unless we're heading across the river or out to the burbs.

For years, I have stayed at this hotel while in Philadelphia, almost exclusively.  Last weekend, I got an "executive suite" in a corner room on the 14th floor, which was a nice upgrade from the regular rooms.  If you're the type that thinks a mile is a "nice walk," this is the perfect location and you'll likely never need a taxi.

24 minutes ago, DanielK said:

The Art Museum is definitely walkable, though it's about 30 minutes. Zahav, Vetri are also walking distance - we almost never move the car for Philly weekends unless we're heading across the river or out to the burbs.

13 minutes ago, RWBooneJr said:

For years, I have stayed at this hotel while in Philadelphia, almost exclusively.  Last weekend, I got an "executive suite" in a corner room on the 14th floor, which was a nice upgrade from the regular rooms.  If you're the type that thinks a mile is a "nice walk," this is the perfect location and you'll likely never need a taxi.

It *is* a perfect location, and the last time I stayed in Philly, I was at the Loew's which is very nearby (although this seems much less expensive).

As soon as I got there, I parked my car in a private lot about 2-3 blocks away, and left it there the entire trip. It was at least $10 a day cheaper to self-park in a private lot than to have the hotel park for me, so I suggest using an online service to find private lots nearby, and then walk or take Uber.

40 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

As soon as I got there, I parked my car in a private lot about 2-3 blocks away, and left it there the entire trip. It was at least $10 a day cheaper to self-park in a private lot than to have the hotel park for me, so I suggest using an online service to find private lots nearby, and then walk or take Uber.

One of Marriott's regular promotions is called "cars stay free", where they basically build the parking cost into your room rate. For instance, i just stayed at a Courtyard in Seattle at Pioneer Square last weekend, for $165/night. Now, that's a pretty decent rate anyway, but it was a "cars stay free, breakfast included" rate. Since parking at that hotel is $45/night, and my breakfast bill for 4 of us averaged about $55 each day, that effective room rate was $65/night.

Anyway, that promotion is often available at either the Courtyard or Residence Inn in downtown Philly.