TheMatt

The Block, Artistic, Asian Food Court on John Marr Drive (near K-Mart) in Annandale, VA

I figured we need a topic for the rather interesting The Block in Annandale (Here's their Yelp since their "main" page is the Instagram account, as it is for most of these places.) Currently at The Block are:

So far, I've tried the first three. Snocream is a veteran of Annandale with their shaved-ice-cream concoction (good!). Pokeworks is poke bowls and the one I've tried was good. I've tried Balo Kitchen and I'll say the Street Bread with sausage was yummy, and most of their menu looked intriguing. I'll probably go try Roots Thai soon. (As I don't drink, I can't attest to the Bar.)

Now, every time I've gone here I'm fairly certain I might have been the oldest person there. And as it is a big concrete box with hard tables, it does get to "get off my lawn" levels of noise for me, but, well, I'm not the target audience.

Anyone else out there have experiences to share? If so, we might want to break these up into separate threads.

• Like 3

Looking at the map, is it in that small strip of stores attached to the KMart?

15 minutes ago, weezy said:

Looking at the map, is it in that small strip of stores attached to the KMart?

Yep! It's the location directly next to the KMart (northish/to the left as you look at it) that used to be...Myeongdong Cafe? Something like that. 

It's around the corner from where the Snocream bus used to ply its wares.

Is it just me or has this place flown seriously below the radar? 

5 minutes ago, yeah said:

Is it just me or has this place flown seriously below the radar? 

From my experience there, you/I/we probably aren't a teen who lives in/near Annandale. As you can see above, most of the places there are mainly found through their Instagram accounts (they update their accounts pretty often and it's about the *only* way to find the hours if they are in soft open). We are getting old, my friends.

Now, I have no idea if what Roots Thai or Balo Kitchen are serving is "authentic" at all (for whatever cuisine they are taking from: Thai, Taiwanese, etc.), but so far what I've had is definitely tasty. And much different from most of the places in Annandale (i.e., not really Korean focused/based)

I wrote The Block about Claiming their Business on Google Maps - it's already listed, but they haven't claimed it yet. I'm going to make this a regular thing, as I'm also going to begin including maps in the Dining Guide for new restaurants (and catch up with the old ones as time permits - any volunteers?)

I figured we need a topic for the rather interesting The Block in Annandale (Here's their Yelp since their "main" page is the Instagram account, as it is for most of these places.) Currently at The Block are:

So far, I've tried the first three. Snocream is a veteran of Annandale with their shaved-ice-cream concoction (good!). Pokeworks is poke bowls and the one I've tried was good. I've tried Balo Kitchen and I'll say the Street Bread with sausage was yummy, and most of their menu looked intriguing. I'll probably go try Roots Thai soon. (As I don't drink, I can't attest to the Bar.)

Now, every time I've gone here I'm fairly certain I might have been the oldest person there. And as it is a big concrete box with hard tables, it does get to "get off my lawn" levels of noise for me, but, well, I'm not the target audience.

Anyone else out there have experiences to share? If so, we might want to break these up into separate threads.

Matt, thank you for starting this thread. Like any food court (or like Eden Center, for example), we can post in *this* thread when talking about The Block as a whole, or when discussing more than one restaurant in a single post, but we can also have separate posts for each entity within The Block if a post deals with only one of them. It follows the logical hierarchy of things (sorry, that's the DBA in me!)

Lizzy & I were going to check out The Block today, but I am past the 'sell by' date-I will let her explore that w/ her friends.  Besides, I was interested in Nua Haus's Yelp reviews (overwhelmingly positive)-I thought it was good, but I've been to lots of good & great Thai restaurants, so while I thought it was good, I can get good Thai closer to me.  But I am thinking about checking out the Corner Q in Lorton (Filipino)-I have NO experience w/ Filipino food, other than that they sell frozen bangus & lumpia in the commissary.

On 5/26/2017 at 5:56 PM, thistle said:

Lizzy & I were going to check out The Block today, but I am past the 'sell by' date-I will let her explore that w/ her friends.  Besides, I was interested in Nua Haus's Yelp reviews (overwhelmingly positive)-I thought it was good, but I've been to lots of good & great Thai restaurants, so while I thought it was good, I can get good Thai closer to me.  But I am thinking about checking out the Corner Q in Lorton (Filipino)-I have NO experience w/ Filipino food, other than that they sell frozen bangus & lumpia in the commissary.

Did not get what you sought for help
because you went and asked on Yelp

You just cannot get rid of it ...
<da-dum, da-dum, da-dum>
So do not be an idiot ...
<sha-shum sha-shum sha-shum>
And try not to be glum!
<Beedly-boodly-bum!>

Resign yourself to help!
Get off of fucking Yelp!

D!... R!... (Say it again!)
D!... R!... (Say it again!)

We are the future of this Earth
And when there's just a sunny dearth
of veggies, rice, and mirth,

We will go on and tender forth
From deep down South to way up North
We're always on a steady courth
Talk to Mister Ed!

People yakkity-yak a streak
and waste their time of day
but old DonRocks will never speak
unless he has something to say

I seem to be in the act so coarse
implying that I am just a horse
I wish I had some word to force
that wasn't Mister Ed!

Okay I'll shut up now.

You were singing, weren't you.

• Like 1

Like Wayne says, Tha Block Is HOT!

Been here a few times now. It's good, a very happening place for the young kids and specifically the young Asian kids living in that area. It's a food hall, as described above, but not so many options. Currently, Poke, Ice Cream place, Thai street food (Roots), Asian comfort food (Balo), and a bar that has it's own snacks.

They have happy hour most days, and it's a fairly good deal - beers, wines, cocktails. Yesterday was Mule Monday, and they had many Mules on offer. Like the first time, we started off with Poke as a shared appetizer. Ahi and Salmon and rice, and then you pick your rice and toppings. Fresh fish, great sauce, I could eat another bowl myself. Then, got a bunch of stuff from the other two places - pork and chickens skewers (very good, but sort of small), braised pork and rice (like pulled pork, little bit of chile sauce, rice), boat noodle soup (with meatballs and ribeye, I only had the broth, but smelled tasty), fried chicken tacos (the belle of the ball, perfectly, great spicy aioli), fish balls in curry sauce (sort of had consistency of fish hot dog, I liked it, table didn't seem too impressed). I've had the chicken nuggets (same as the tacos, but without the tortilla), pork belly and rice (tasty, great texture). 

Finished with dessert. Lady got red velvet ice cream, and the rest of us got the ice milk/sort of like shaved ice thingie at SnoCream. I got green tea ice cream, lychee, almonds, and topped with condensed milk. Friend got black sesame ice cream, that was interesting but not for me. Other friend got vanilla latte with caramel. 

This place is so happening... I get it - not much there in that area for younger folks. I've been on a Friday night, and it's a bunch of kids in their upper teens, maybe some 20 somethings. A really nice "third space" for them to hang out in, yet, the food isn't lame, the music is good, and its really high energy inside. 

Check it out .. it's good to be around the youth, makes you young again. And, yeah, totally an Instagram sort of place. 

• Like 2

I am heading there this afternoon and will certainly help skew the demo to old and white. will report on what I encounter.