dr.com "Fit For Summer" Challenge

bilrus

The WW point counting formula is patented, and as such is public information.
It might be a matter of public information via FOIA, but that doesn't mean that the patented item is free for commercial use by other entities (like websites who make a healthy dime off ads and "donations").

That's why, say, Jenny Craig can't use that formula to determine how to tell their subscribers what to eat... not that they do that anyway, since the whole point of their system is for you to buy their food. What they do use is the old (patent expired) exchange system that WW pioneered way back in the day, and that the gummint themselves now use.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a reminder to everyone that I am going to be posting an update of everyone's progress this afternoon, so if you have a loss (or gain) that you haven't either PMed to me or posted in your thread, try to get it to me by noon.

Thanks.

Just a reminder to everyone that I am going to be posting an update of everyone's progress this afternoon, so if you have a loss (or gain) that you haven't either PMed to me or posted in your thread, try to get it to me by noon.

Thanks.

No reporting for me. Disaster struck yesterday in the form of a bad day at work, which I answered with a filet, an entire side of mac and cheese and a whole slice of coconut cream pie at Cap Grille. I'm such an emotional eater -- some people drink when they've had a bad day, I want comfort food. Bah. Back on the diet tomorrow.

Just wanted to make a quick comment here. I noticed an unsupportive comment on this thread, which was deleted. I'm not bilrus, but I really wanted to just say, please if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Everyone is doing a great job, and keeping one another accountable. People are here to support each other and disparaging comments really devalue this thread for everyone. Anyway off the soapbox.

Personally, I'm really proud of everyone.

No reporting for me. Disaster struck yesterday in the form of a bad day at work, which I answered with a filet, an entire side of mac and cheese and a whole slice of coconut cream pie at Cap Grille. I'm such an emotional eater -- some people drink when they've had a bad day, I want comfort food. Bah. Back on the diet tomorrow.

The whole point of this challenge is that you're making a lifestyle change that is going to last, not crashing to reach a deadline. We're all here on dr.com because part of our lifestyle is food and eating well. None of us want to eliminate that part of our lives, we just want to make it a manageable part of our lives that we can enjoy without feeling guilty and staying healthy. Your "splurge" was just part of the natural rhythm of life. Don't sweat it.

The "lifestyle change" thing is a bit of a cliche, but sometimes cliches are cliche because they are true.

The whole point of this challenge is that you're making a lifestyle change that is going to last, not crashing to reach a deadline. We're all here on dr.com because part of our lifestyle is food and eating well. None of us want to eliminate that part of our lives, we just want to make it a manageable part of our lives that we can enjoy without feeling guilty and staying healthy. Your "splurge" was just part of the natural rhythm of life. Don't sweat it.

The "lifestyle change" thing is a bit of a cliche, but sometimes cliches are cliche because they are true.

The folks on this board are awesome. I'm right back on the diet and plan on exercising my little behind off by traipsing through Tysons Corner mall all day.

You're right, Bilrus, we all have our rhythms. Mine would be so much easier to manage if I didn't work right around the corner from Cap Grille.... :lol:

This is my weekly reminder that today is Friday and if anyone has any progress to report, please get it to me this afternoon. This is especially directed at the sixteen participants who haven't reported yet.

Believe it or not, we are nearly six weeks in now. If you've been working at it, let everyone know. If you haven't this is a good time to start up. If you have but have been slacking off at bit (like your truly) now's a good time to start up again.

This is especially directed at the sixteen participants who haven't reported yet.

To the sixteen who haven't reported: Can you please send me a PM and let me know how you're doing? Even if you've fallen off the wagon and gained weight - as surely some of you have - it's not too late to redirect the ship. Please let me know, in confidence. Thanks! Rocks.

The good news? As reported in the Results Thread, the active participants in the Challenge have lost a collective 24.1% of the weight needed to get to our goals. And TedE, MoniqueDC, jm chen and "Victoria" have all reached the 50% mark. And a lot of others are on pace to hit their goal.

The bad news? This is the first reporting period where we actually went up collectively. Admittedly, a few of those pounds were my own. Is everyone else facing the same mid-winter doldrums that has torpedoed so many New Year's resolutions in the past? Is it my imagination or did our slump correspond with our first big winter storm?

Any ideas on ways to get things moving in the right direction? Anyone need particular support or ideas right now?

A big part of the winter gaining blues for me is decreased activity. Plus an increase of edibles, since I'm just sitting around the office or house like a lump.

Increasing activity level is a good way to jump start things again. I'll have to ignore the voice inside that tells me that I can eat more of whatever because I just worked out... :o Don't be seduced by the voices in your head!

When an

Astronaut

digs a real hot guy, we understand. But when she dons a diaper as if she were a

Babe

again, you gotta wonder if she snapped like a

Beam

of rotting wood that could not

Bear

the weight of an overwrought, hefty

Child

jumping up and down, pumping arms to the tune of an old

Fleetwood

Mac song that his parents have yet to

Graduate

from, left behind with Stevie Nicks and that old political campaign of yore back when the

Jeep

was still a cool ride down to the beach to hang out drinking beer instead of pacing

Marble

corridors, practicing the right things to say to preserve

Milk

money for Johnny so he can learn to read or for the lactose-intolerant set,

Pho

to slurp slowly while in the other room, Nguyen's grandmother sits down to

Sew

with a needle pulling thread, letting out the seams on a gown for some lady named

Trixie

whose big hair is starting to match the rest of her now that she has to keep

Tug

ging on the hem of her skirt to prevent it from riding up every time she gets up or

Withdraw

s from a room, slowly, trying not to turn heads as floorboards creak with each heavy step.

You know who you are. First step is signing up. Go out on a limb and take the second.

The bad news? This is the first reporting period where we actually went up collectively. Admittedly, a few of those pounds were my own. Is everyone else facing the same mid-winter doldrums that has torpedoed so many New Year's resolutions in the past? Is it my imagination or did our slump correspond with our first big winter storm?

Any ideas on ways to get things moving in the right direction? Anyone need particular support or ideas right now?

If it is storm sabotage then I must be very sensitive to mere cold spells! :o I've had several major things crop up at work that are sapping the energy right out of me. It takes a lot more effort to eat well in Tallahassee then it ever did for me in DC. Right now, I just can't summon the extra energy. The good news is that I'm still slowly losing so I'm at least making better choices. I'd love to find something to spark the effort but I'm just not sure what would do it. I do enjoy this type of exchange in addition to the individual threads. I make it a point to check in each day. It has helped me keep the goal front and center even when I'm coasting.

Only half-listened to a few minutes of Kojo Nnamdi the other day, but heard the host repeat that same old line about "it's not a diet but a life-change..." adding (I paraphrase) "so if you set a goal of a certain weight by a certain date you're headed for failure."

Is that what's going on now?

Now that two months are over and we're reaching the half-way mark, are people discouraged because they don't think make their target weight by May 29?

Or is silence indicative of other things such a desire to slog on privately?

hmm...

stress, dr events, food at work...not enought exercise.

I said to myself, self...if you are not on track at the half way point...its back to eating vegan.

I am going to ONLY go out to eat twice a week. One dinner and one lunch. Everything else will be measured and made at home, where I have better control

(after I head to NJ this weekend)

(Ok, and after a trip to Peking Cheers)

(maybe after some other stuff as well)

SH*T I hate life style changes

I hate struggling with excess weight

Somebody give me a magic pill

Only half-listened to a few minutes of Kojo Nnamdi the other day, but heard the host repeat that same old line about "it's not a diet but a life-change..." adding (I paraphrase) "so if you set a goal of a certain weight by a certain date you're headed for failure."

Is that what's going on now?

I personally think the combination of "lifestyle change" and "weight by date" is key to success, but I do wonder if the "lifestyle change" idea is just harder for this group than the population in general. I mean, it's tough, right? Eating delicious food and drinking excellent wine is one of the things we enjoy most. Going out to great restaurants and/or cooking great meals is a habit. And when a habit is this hard to break, I wouldn't at all be surprised if a lot of people have more or less decided that the elusive and abstract goal of "weight loss" or "better health" or "attention to fitness" can't compete with the concrete gratification of short ribs, or foie gras burgers, or cassoulet, or cheesecake.

No pressure here, only support. But since Anna Blume brought up the question it has been on my mind. And anyone who feels like they might be able to get what they need here to get back on track, please just post or PM, and the community here will almost definitely respond.

It's going to be warm again next week. Maybe that will help, too.

Chemicals may play role in obesity.
Too many calories and too little exercise are undeniably the major factors contributing to the obesity epidemic, but several recent animal studies suggest that environmental exposure to widely used chemicals may also help make people fat.
Read the whole article, it's very interesting. I have suspected there's more to the story that just "eating too much and not getting enough exercise," but I am more cynical than most people.

So, Bill and others with some experience and/or system for determining portion control, just how much meat/fish/poultry do you eat at a given meal? How do you account for a portion when it's part of a composite dish that was not designed for dieters?

Specific case tonight: I've got a fricassee/braise in the oven with chicken thighs, onion, mushrooms and artichoke hearts. I cut down/changed nature of fat somewhat by modifying the recipe, but have left the skin on until it's cooked for flavor just in case Zora reads this. The sauce includes a little cognac, white wine, stock and light sour cream. However, it will also contain some of the fat tonight before I skim the dish cold. Am I allowed to eat 2 of the 7 thighs in a single meal or must I be even more parsimonious?

So, Bill and others with some experience and/or system for determining portion control, just how much meat/fish/poultry do you eat at a given meal? How do you account for a portion when it's part of a composite dish that was not designed for dieters?

Using Weight Watchers, I would enter the entire recipe into the recipe builder tool, which calculates the number of points per serving. I think the same method could be used without WW, but it may be a bit more cumbersome. Calculate the number of calories in the total dish and divide by the number of servings. If the calories are too high, eat less of it and calculate by a higher number of servings.

Or, you could guestimate.

Using Weight Watchers, I would enter the entire recipe into the recipe builder tool, which calculates the number of points per serving. I think the same method could be used without WW, but it may be a bit more cumbersome. Calculate the number of calories in the total dish and divide by the number of servings. If the calories are too high, eat less of it and calculate by a higher number of servings.

Or, you could guestimate.

This is pretty much the way I do it too. For a complicated recipe, I try to use the recipe builder on the weight watchers web site if I am caring about points at that particular time. This allows you to input all the ingredients and the number of servings and it gives you back a points value. Of course you can also figure points by adding up the point value for the incividual ingredients. One of the keys is measuring everything, both going into the pot and going onto the plate.

If you aren't doing WW and don't care about points, I think you can do the same thing - try to determine the caloric and fat levels of the individual ingredients and break it out into portions. Soon enough you should get comfortable enough with it to be able to eyeball it and go on instinct.

Every once in a while you need to pull out the scale or measuring cups and give yourself a reality check. Often you'll find that your portion sizes start creeping up.

For a complicated recipe, I try to use the recipe builder on the weight watchers web site if I am caring about points at that particular time. This allows you to input all the ingredients and the number of servings and it gives you back a points value. Of course you can also figure points by adding up the point value for the incividual ingredients. One of the keys is measuring everything, both going into the pot and going onto the plate.

If you aren't doing WW and don't care about points, I think you can do the same thing - try to determine the caloric and fat levels of the individual ingredients and break it out into portions. Soon enough you should get comfortable enough with it to be able to eyeball it and go on instinct.

Every once in a while you need to pull out the scale or measuring cups and give yourself a reality check. Often you'll find that your portion sizes start creeping up.

I don't use the WW website (erm, too cheap), but, I do do the point out individual ingredients, measuring everything before it goes into the pot. I'll usually do a bit of guesstimating on point size when it comes out, but I try to figure things conservatively.

There's no doubt about it, at the beginning, it's tedious and time-consuming. But through doing it regularly, you both start to remember basic items (e.g. an onion is X number of points, a Tb of butter is Y number of points) and you grow to learn techniques for decreasing points but increasing how filling something will be (cut back on fat and increase the veggies/serving).

I would never say that I hated the process, because I saw it as integral to my success in losing weight. Initially, however, I did find it tiresome. Now, it's pretty straightforward. Like Bill said, I definitely go on instinct, but there are things i measure every day (e.g my cup of Total cereal) because of portion size creep (which happens to everybody).

Specific case tonight: I've got a fricassee/braise in the oven with chicken thighs, onion, mushrooms and artichoke hearts. I cut down/changed nature of fat somewhat by modifying the recipe, but have left the skin on until it's cooked for flavor just in case Zora reads this. The sauce includes a little cognac, white wine, stock and light sour cream. However, it will also contain some of the fat tonight before I skim the dish cold. Am I allowed to eat 2 of the 7 thighs in a single meal or must I be even more parsimonious?

I Googled around a little bit and it looks like there are about 240 calories and 16 grams of fat in each chicken thigh. (According to the Tyson site, anyway.) Once you take off the skin, and assuming some of the fat has been skimmed, I'd say it's safe to assume there are about 200 calories left in the meat.

So as to whether one thigh or two thighs is equal to a portion, I suppose it depends on what else you're eating with it. Eating a second chicken thigh is probably a better choice than a cup of white rice or two slices of crusty bread; on the other hand, if you've got all those lovely fricasseed vegetables in there, I would serve myself a portion with one chicken thigh and a whole lot of the artichoke hearts and mushrooms.

The whole "serving of meat = pack of cards" idea has been around for a while, and it's probably good, but I just can't internalize it properly myself. I did read recently that an ounce of meat is the size of your thumb, and I use that to estimate how many ounces I'm eating, assuming I want three or four ounces, a small portion.

Thank you, everyone, for responding to my rather trivial little question. I think I was just trying to compare what I am trying to do without a system and what others are doing with one proven to work. I was also being lazy.

Here's an online source affiliated with epicurious that I bookmarked back in January: nutritiondata.com. One thing I like about it is the fact that you can adjust the measuring system of the item you are trying to evaluate. It's useful, provided the item is in the database. You can also specify preparation used.

Granted, the database does not account for my fricassee's sauce (only 1/2 a cup total when reduced; not a whole lot for eight thighs plus vegetables), still the chart indicates one stewed thigh, skin removed is about 107 calories. So, the second I ate wasn't significantly more fattening.

The pack of cards thing doesn't work for me. As I've said before, left to my own devices, I rarely eat much protein, so I am making a concerted effort to eat more. I'm just not into a daily poached salmon fillet or chicken breast w a light yogurt-cucumber sauce.

One chicken thigh provides roughly 14 gr of protein while approximately 50 gr is the amount recommended daily amount for someone aiming for 1350-1500 calories. Since I had a tuna salad (14 gr.) for lunch, without a significant number of proteins from other sources, one thigh would not have been sufficient. Still, I get the impression I am eating a lot more than Superman is.

Can't believe how utterly boring and time-consuming this is! No more long reports from me for a while.

N.B. Edited to correct information in penultimate paragraph.

Granted the days of excessive fear of carbs and bread are over, but I'm not really sure what the more tempered approach dictates.

Using the chart I just posted in the preceding post (I think :o ; I've bookmarked a number), I read the lowdown on cornbread "made with a recipe" vs. box-mix or from a food chain. There's no way for the nutritionists to know I follow a recipe using little sugar, buttermilk w 1% fat content, corn to bolster protein content, butter in heated skillet, but not in batter, etc. Even so, I suspect the caloric content is not too far off from the figure the chart provides.

If I reheat a slice to accompany a bowl of soup for dinner, it makes a modest meal filling when followed by a piece of fresh fruit and decaffeinated green tea, straight. I'm partial to cornbread despite its more caloric content since it contains several sources of protein and bulky meal vs. refined flour. It's quick, great warm without adornment...

Yet, to read the information provided, I've eaten something dangerous since its carbs and sugars will only make me want more, more, more shortly after eating. Nonsense.

Besides, bread has a historical role as the center of the meal. Everything else was originally referred to as "the things that go with bread" long before anyone came up with a system of sucessive courses. And there are so many people whose diets focus on rice, if, granted, their physical activity and consumption of other foods is respectively, higher and more modest than ours.

So, what's your take on bread(s) during the Challenge?

Yet, to read the information provided, I've eaten something dangerous since its carbs and sugars will only make me want more, more, more shortly after eating. Nonsense.

So, what's your take on bread(s) during the Challenge?

Bring on the bread! Yet another perfectly healthy part of a balanced diet that has been trampled upon by the Atkins gestapo. Good whole grain bread is not the culprit. Only when combined in a diet that also includes high proportions of other nutritional gems such as Doritos, fries, and candy-sweet "bran muffins" does bread form part of the multi-headed carb monster ("I call him Carblor!") that f*ucks with your glycogen reserves enough to produce a temporary sugar imbalance. Do it enough and that imbalance becomes a medical condition.

No need to fear bread in moderation. In fact no need to fear anything in moderation and in reasonable proportions with each other. That's basically every diet plan in the world boiled down into one simple sentence. And you know what? It freakin' works.

That will be $5, please.

Ilaine checking in -- sorry, as far as I am concerned the only person who has a "need to know" where I began and whether I make my goal is Don Rocks -- nobody knows what I weigh except me and my doctor and Mr. Rocks.

I am about halfway there, and now that spring is here, expect to do better by walking outside in the nice fresh air.

Major lifestyle change was giving up alcohol completely. Also, have been more diligent about checking my blood sugar and taking the pills that increase insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar level for Type 2 diabetics.

Also, switched to Ezekiel bread, which is made from sprouted grain, not flour, and thus does not raise the glycemic index like flour does. It's quite tasty, if you like that sort of thing.

Also, eating much much less meat, and almost no red meat, except as a treat. Instead, fish, low fat dairy, lots of vegetables and grains, and a protein smothie which is made as follows: 2 cups water, 1 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries, 1 banana, 2 scoops plain soy protein powder, 2 scoops brewer's yeast, 2 scoops lecithin, blend until smooth. This is an acquired taste -- I used to make with fruit juice but have eliminated fruit juice because it is high in sugar. I usually have one for lunch and one for a midnight "snack." Bought some fish oil supplements but have to gather up my courage to try them. Apparently as we get older we need more Vitamin D.

I bought a very good set of orthotic inserts and a new pair of athletic shoes and have been walking around shopping malls, which is becoming rather boring, so hello sunshine!

Last night I visited the cookbook section of the library. After looking through the shelves I usually scan, I turned around and faced all the ones that promise better health, delicious low-calorie meals and ways to compensate for allergies and numerous medical conditions.

There were two copies of the South Beach Diet cookbook. I sat down with one. Phase 1 lasts for two weeks. No fruit. Nothing containing flour. No cereals. I forget what Phase 2 entails except for the fact that the doctor responsible for the diet plan really, really likes chocolate so he permits a modest amount of bittersweet chocolate.

Testimonials from one couple grateful for the author's first book are published across from one recipe. (Photographs made all the food look quite good. Recipes looked fine.) The wife admits that at first she was disappointed since she only lost 6 pounds during Phase 1.

Talk about envy! It took me 6 times longer than that. I am skeptical and want to think all these diets work because people are eating less, mostly plants if not Atkins-followers, and they're getting more exercise.

Besides, I have just discovered a new taste for shredded wheat to replace my morning's oatmeal and I cannot imagine a day without at least 2-3 pieces of fruit.

I reshelved the volume and checked out Paula Wolfert's book on Meditteranean greens and grains.

I reshelved the volume and checked out Paula Wolfert's book on Meditteranean greens and grains.
Good decision. Lifestyle changes are what work for the long run.

I finally realized that the way to become a thinner person is to live like a thinner person. Eat like a thinner person eats. Exercise like a thinner person exercises. Admittedly I haven't really put this realization to work completely, but understanding the problem is the only way to solve it.

I came to this realization watching my kids try to lose weight. They don't want to make lifestyle changes, they want to be able to eat all the pizza they want and play computer games all day long and lose weight by spending a few weeks on a special diet, and then go back to the old lifestyle, and that doesn't really work.

When I was their age I'd lose 10-20 pounds in a couple of weeks eating nothing but cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs, but you can't eat nothing but cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs for the rest of your life. At least, I couldn't.

I know the fit for summer challenge officially ends on May 26th. Since the picnic is a week later, would it be all right to have an optional extension of a week for those of us whom want to meet at the picnic? If not, maybe we can launch the next challenge at that time. I also have a couple of ideas about having some sort of stamp on food choices (at the picnic) that are more "healthy". Organizing a few fitness related events, and encouraging those of us on the challenge to bring healthier choices. One of my struggles is making healthy choices when there are many unhealthy ones available. Now I am not one to give up pork products, and yes I plan on sampling everything at the picnic, but I also feel that it order to change my lifestyle, I also need to promote healthier choices, moderation and lifestyle changes.

Had a good workout today and plan on a moderate but healthy Easter dinner. I plan a second walk or workout for the afternoon.

While I realize stories about obesity are as common these days as discussions of Sanjaya's hair, here are links to a few things from PBS & NPR this week:

1) The Story of Rocky's Reduction from ATC, 4/10/07.

2) Thinking Thin, ME, 4/12/7; book plug on behalf of daughter of the founder of Cognative Therapy.

and finally, from PBS:

3) FAT, a documentary that is supposed to present "what no one else is telling you".

I caught a bit of it while eating my reheated Eight Treasures Tofu with newly stir-fried aromatics & zucchini, no sauce. Depressing segment in which the narrator reinforces the following:

• Most people who enter weight reduction programs drop out
  • Most dieters who stick with programs do not lose weight
  • Most dieters who lose weight regain the pounds they lost

How's that for motivation? I turned off the television and even though it was drizzling, went for an additional walk, meeting a fox stationed in the middle of Cathedral Avenue.

I know it has been a little while since I last posted results so I am planning on doing it on Monday. If anyone hasn't reported in a while, this would be a good time. Even if we haven't reached our goals yet, there's still time to make a last push over the final month.

I know it has been a little while since I last posted results so I am planning on doing it on Monday. If anyone hasn't reported in a while, this would be a good time. Even if we haven't reached our goals yet, there's still time to make a last push over the final month.
Did you receive too few responses to make a new list worthwhile?

I went out of town at the last minute and actually haven't looked at a computer since Monday night. Expect something tomorrow afternoon.

But, No. I didn't really recieve many responses either.

I went out of town at the last minute and actually haven't looked at a computer since Monday night. Expect something tomorrow afternoon.

But, No. I didn't really recieve many responses either.

If such content is verboten here, I understand. However, Richard Cohen's column is relevant to the Summer Challenge: "Politics by the Pound".

The great American pastime is not baseball but moral crusades. This accounts for why we once made booze illegal, why we continue to make war on drugs and why we have turned our attention to obesity -- morbid obesity, as the worst cases are morbidly called. Town after town is virtually outlawing the overweight -- 'Fatty, don't let the sun set on you in this town' -- and schools have changed their lunchroom offerings in response. It is a crusade for health, but it is also one about free choice

First, let me add warm congratulations to RaisaB for her self-discipline and recent triumph. In addition to TedE & Jael who reported good news some time ago, there are a few vocal participants who are on the brink of reporting victory. Who knows how many others have been plodding along in obscurity, planning to share similar good news?

As someone who owes a lot to this challenge even if I will fall slightly short of the set goal, I am wondering how many others:

1) plan to continue

2) wish to extend the Summer Challenge through the muggy months, past the days of Purple Cherokees, local okra and lavendar eggplant, and into the season of whipping winds, split pea soup and early nightfall?

In addition to TedE & Jael who reported good news some time ago

I am actually still 1 pound short of goal, but with eight days to go, failure is not an option. I'm not going to get this close and then miss the opportunity for the Rocks-sponsored lunch!

And to add to Anna Blume's question, I'm hoping there are many participants out there who, though they may not have lost all the weight they aimed for, have at least adopted some healthier habits they want to continue...?

And to add to Anna Blume's question, I'm hoping there are many participants out there who, though they may not have lost all the weight they aimed for, have at least adopted some healthier habits they want to continue...?
I fall into this category. I lost 6 pounds and then a series of unfortunate events just made it impossible to sustain the effort. However, I have held steady 6 pounds down during the second half of the challenge despite the craziness. I attribute that to being able to maintain some of the smaller changes I made. Figuring out better options when I travel has been key considering I'm on the road 2-3 days per week. In about another 2 weeks life should calm down enough for me to pick up the challenge again.

Yes, dammit!

... are people discouraged because they don't think make their target weight by May 29?

Damn those people with self-discipline and highly motivated by a free meal!

First, let me add warm congratulations to RaisaB for her self-discipline and recent triumph. In addition to TedE & Jael who reported good news some time ago

Sigh... congratulations to those that made their goal as well as those who adopted healthier eating habits.