Paid Parking Slowly Killing Reston Town Center?

Ferris Bueller

On 8/21/2017 at 9:58 AM, lion said:

I was coming back from DC last night about 10:30 and got off from the toll road at Wiehle Avenue. Amazingly the new high rise building was lite up with purple highlights. Over the past couple of years have seen buildings in Tysons like that kind of accenting but the first for the sleepy little town of Reston.

I'll tell you what - aside from what they're doing to the area near Wiehle Avenue Metro (I've heard, from a reasonably reliable source, that the ugly brown stucco office buildings, on the northeast side of the Wiehle Avenue - Dulles Toll Road interchange (across Wiehle from the high-rise lion mentions), are coming down), the developers are doing a number on Sunset Hills Drive Sunrise Valley Drive near Reston Golf Course.

Screenshot 2018-06-20 at 15.51.45.png

I don't mean to sound like Johnny Horizon, but do people really think this is an improved lifestyle?

I think you meant to say Sunrise Valley Drive, which is on the south side of the Toll Road, and is highlighted on your map.  That is the road adjacent to Reston National Golf Course.  Yes, those apartments (condos?) are a huge eyesore, but every cloud has a silver lining.  I just recently learned that the formerly excellent Reston Kabob, which was displaced from a small strip of shops torn down to build this mess, is going to reopen wherever that complex is going to have some street level retail.  A Peruvian chicken place is also slated to open there.

41 minutes ago, JBag57 said:

I think you meant to say Sunrise Valley Drive, which is on the south side of the Toll Road, and is highlighted on your map.  That is the road adjacent to Reston National Golf Course.  Yes, those apartments (condos?) are a huge eyesore, but every cloud has a silver lining.  I just recently learned that the formerly excellent Reston Kabob, which was displaced from a small strip of shops torn down to build this mess, is going to reopen wherever that complex is going to have some street level retail.  A Peruvian chicken place is also slated to open there.

Yes, of course, and I meant to change it. Forget the condos; there are high-rise office buildings going up on the north side of Sunrise Valley Drive - one in particular (11800 Sunrise Valley Drive) right next to the Sheraton (interestingly, the primary tenant just moved there from the ugly brown stucco complex I mentioned that is to be torn down).

It's painful to see this building driving eastbound on the toll road.

Screenshot 2018-06-20 at 17.46.00.png

I don't mean to sound like a tree-hugger, and we can certainly start a new thread (in the History Forum), but does anyone really think this is an improvement in lifestyle? I just cannot see it, no matter how hard I try, and would value an intelligent, reasoned, differing opinion - I don't want to argue; I want to learn. *That* is what this community is about - not restaurant reviews; learning, and becoming a better person.

I am not sure if I am understanding you correctly, but the building at 11800 Sunrise Valley Drive has been there at least 25 years.  That concrete monstrosity to the left of 11800 in your photo is a parking garage (you should see how it looks from Reston Parkway), and all of that red clay soil is now covered with the apartments/condos I mentioned in my earlier post.

12 minutes ago, JBag57 said:

I am not sure if I am understanding you correctly, but the building at 11800 Sunrise Valley Drive has been there at least 25 years.  That concrete monstrosity to the left of 11800 in your photo is a parking garage (you should see how it looks from Reston Parkway), and all of that red clay soil is now covered with the apartments/condos I mentioned in my earlier post.

Are you serious? I thought this was a new building, due to the unending construction around it - that tenant that moved into it ... they're on three floors of it, and I thought they took advantage of a brand new lease (which they obviously did).

Now that I look at the picture, after having read your post ... that isn't contemporary architecture.

21 minutes ago, JBag57 said:

I think that big black Sheraton goes back 35 years or longer. (from memory).  I don’t recall a high rise of that ilk as far back as 1980.   It is also and has been uniquely ugly imho.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

-- Joyce Kilmer, mocked by some, found dead in WWI.

And a rest stop on the New Jersey Turnpike.  Per Alexandra C. on Yelp, 3/15/18:

Not my favorite rest area, but certainly not the worst

Huge parking lot 
Typical food options (Burger King, Starbucks, a mini mart, Nathan's, etc.)
Sunoco gas 
VERY crowded almost all the time so the likelihood of getting raped and/or killed is relatively low

God Bless New Jersey, land that I love.

JBG Sells Sheraton Reston Hotel To Florida Investor from BisNow
Reston Master Plan FACTS

There is a lot going on in Reston.  Lots of development that has already been approved under the current density limit.  There are many more projects waiting for the density limit to be revised and then a flood of new mixed use retail/condos/apartments etc (essentially vertical, high-density) ready to be submitted.  I am all for progress, but when it takes me 45 minutes to go 4.5 miles during rush hour and our representatives are not demanding infrastructure improvements prior to the new development...we have a problem.  

Good information can be obtained and referenced here.  Reclaim Reston.

3 hours ago, DaveO said:

I think that big black Sheraton goes back 35 years or longer. (from memory).  I don’t recall a high rise of that ilk as far back as 1980.   It is also and has been uniquely ugly imho.

That big black building is not the Sheraton. The Sheraton is the two buildings to the right of it in the photo, the rectangular building angling from left to right, and the “C” shaped building. The black highrise (11800) used to be called “Reston International Center”. A company named Internet, Inc., was headquartered there way back in the day. The company owned and operated the MOST network servicing ATMs.

[I have to say, Ferris Bueller gets dibs on how this thread is curated - he has spent *so* much effort discussing the RTC paid-parking situation, where he deserves to have virtually exclusive rights of how posts are split, if they're to be split. So, Ferris, you tell me if we're hijacking your thread, and I'll make a separate thread that's topical to these more-recent posts. Post here, or PM me - you have executive authority on this one - this doesn't need to be today, or this week; it can be anytime. If you want to stay hyper-focused on RTC parking, that's a legitimate take; if you want to go more general, that's another legitimate take - either way, the choice is yours. Cheers, Rocks]

8 hours ago, JBag57 said:

That big black building is not the Sheraton. The Sheraton is the two buildings to the right of it in the photo, the rectangular building angling from left to right, and the “C” shaped building. The black highrise (11800) used to be called “Reston International Center”. A company named Internet, Inc., was headquartered there way back in the day. The company owned and operated the MOST network servicing ATMs.

Correct.  I was way off.  It is a “dated” structure though and per Loopnet a real estate leasing source was built in 1974.  

Hmmm.....I visited Reston a number of times in that period and it must have been the only high rise of its kind, though I have no lasting memory of it.

During the early 1980’s when office high rises began to dot the Dulles Access Road I was in the area a good bit doing commercial real estate work.  I always thought that structure a weird ugly  outlier.   

Btw, the reference to the ugly low rise brick buildings at Whiele Road reminds me of an incident from the mid to latter ‘80’s when some of them housed “monkey cages” and there was an outbreak of Ebola.  

5 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Major Reston Density Talks Happening In Coming Weeks (Watch Live)

Fairfax County representatives will be meeting with local activists for "small workgroup sessions," which will be streamed live.

Which is developer platitude-bullshit for saying, "Welcome to Hoboken." I'd say "Newark," except that's Dulles.

I'm not deleting this post - examine it in 2028.

2 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

But wait there''s more...Massive 22-Acre Development In Reston Moves Forward: Report

The Fairfax County Planning Commission reportedly has approved a proposal for a data center project at Sunrise Technology Park.

1,000,000 sq' of data center.

This particular change will probably have no impact.  Its an older already developed commercial site with office buildings.  If there is a deal to change the site into a massive data center, and it is occupied as such, it will dramatically cut down on #of employees driving to and from the site.  If it gets torn down and rebuilt as even more office space--well that is a different story.

19 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Major Reston Density Talks Happening In Coming Weeks (Watch Live)

Fairfax County representatives will be meeting with local activists for "small workgroup sessions," which will be streamed live.

This indeed could have significant impact on the residential components of Reston.  Residents should pay close attention.  Ask endless endless questions.  Be tough. 

14 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Which is developer platitude-bullshit for saying, "Welcome to Hoboken." I'd say "Newark," except that's Dulles.

I'm not deleting this post - examine it in 2028.

I'm sure there are developers behind this but possibly the county officials also want this.    I don't live in Reston.  Over many decades I've spent a lot of time there including time in its first decade, long before its development as a huge employment and shopping/dining destination center.  Not only is Reston remarkably different from decades ago but to the West of it Loudoun County has changed even more dramatically.  That entire area of Northern Va. is incredibly attractive to the tech world as a center of employment and technical talent and with that there should be population growth.  It is one of the tech hubs in the US.

All that being said...Hoboken or Newark????    Long long long way to get there.  BTW:   Old Hoboken has a tradition of great Pizza and it and a neighboring town used to have a thriving Cuban ex-pat population with wonderful Cuban food.  Not sure if its still around.  It was damn good.

If there was one thing that could have a dramatic change on this overall area I believe it would be Amazon choosing the Innovation Center site for its proposed 2nd US headquarters.  The Innovation site is on the proposed Metro extension to Dulles Airport, due West of the proposed Herndon site.  It is remarkably under utilized at this time.  Amazon is an astonishing growth monster.  That would add a ton of people into the Reston-Dulles corridor.

On 6/22/2018 at 12:56 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

Balducci’s Food Lover’s Market Kicks Off Weeklong Opening Celebration by RestonNow

The grand opening celebration kicked off at 11 a.m. today with a champagne sabering, live music and a ceremony led by Judy Spires, CEO of Balducci’s. During the weeklong celebration from Friday (June 22) through July 1, there will be a 10 percent discount on all purchase. Tastings and demonstration will also be held throughout the week. Today, around 400 additional parking spaces will be available for customers.

I stopped by the other day.  Looks like a good lunch option in the town center.  Sandwiches, pizza, sushi, salad bar, soup, 5 or 6 warm buffet trays.  It mostly all looked good.

21 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Former Reston Town Center Business Reopens by Dan Taylor, Patch

The Bike Lane has opened up its new location after leaving RTC over paid parking.

That's good to hear. Amazing that near the Reston US Post Office you now have smaller business area with Beloved Yoga, Chef on Wheels and now a loft building goin up next to Akamai!

It use to just be low level offices. 

---

Mezeh Mediterranean Grill (Ferris Bueller)

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

County Board Approves Nearly 10 Million Square Feet of Development in Reston by Fatimah Waseem, RestonNow

Ferris, I haven't gone back and read through all of this, but in general, are you pro- or contra-Reston devlopment? I figure since this is essentially "your" thread, that might give readers some background information. Or, maybe, your viewpoint is more nuanced than a simple pro or contra?

(Speaking for me, I'm very much for keeping rampant development in check, and have been for quite awhile now - I try and think long-long term, and I just see no good coming from it; or, at least, I see the bad vastly outweighing the good.)

3 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Ferris, I haven't gone back and read through all of this, but in general, are you pro- or contra-Reston devlopment? I figure since this is essentially "your" thread, that might give readers some background information. Or, maybe, your viewpoint is more nuanced than a simple pro or contra?

(Speaking for me, I'm very much for keeping rampant development in check, and have been for quite awhile now - I try and think long-long term, and I just see no good coming from it; or, at least, I see the bad vastly outweighing the good.)

So herein lies the challenge - development is progress, like it or not it is coming.  Extensive building, both residential and commercial, is being approved without infrastructure considerations.  Yes, the METRO is being expanded to points West, but the surrounding roads, schools, sidewalks, intersections, parking are not being proactively upgraded to prepare for what is coming.  There is a certain calm to the area that arises from only having ~60,000 residents and streets that were navigable.  It can now take 45 minutes for me to go 4.5 miles from one side of the DTR to the other at fringe times of rush hour.  As the commuters (office space) and residents increase to fill the vertical buildings being the bulk of the expansion (there is little land remaining for single family homes, some townhomes, but mostly apartments and condos), there are only so many ways in/out of the area.  Roads are already clogged.  The stance of the County appears to take the tax revenue from the property, business and sales (tax) and project the burden on those who live here to deal with it.  This may be a long-winded way of answering your question(s), but I am neither pro/contra to Reston development as long all the components needed to lessen or accommodate the increased density appropriate.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2018 at 4:29 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

This may be a long-winded way of answering your question(s), but I am neither pro/contra to Reston development as long all the components needed to lessen or accommodate the increased density appropriate.  

I think that is the rub, the components to accommodate increased density are not being considered any real capacity at a county level. As Reston is not a 'city' in the established sense as Vienna, we're at the discretion of what the county wants to address. RA, the Reston Association, additionally has pretty much abdicated applying any reasonable measures to deal with the increased density issues. 

1 hour ago, lion said:

I think that is the rub, the components to accommodate increased density are not being considered any real capacity at a county level. As Reston is not a 'city' in the established sense as Vienna, we're at the discretion of what the county wants to address. RA, the Reston Association, additionally has pretty much abdicated applying any reasonable measures to deal with the increased density issues. 

Over the long haul, Fairfax and Arlington Counties make an enormous amount of tax revenues due to the enormous volumes (relative to size and populations) of their commercial real estate.  Any and every time there is a commercial real estate recession of some sort, the county tax revenues PLUMMET.  Both counties spend a lot on various services way beyond the basics.  They are "wealthy" counties...and proportionately its "higher" due to the huge volumes of commercial RE.  That has been going on for Many decades now.

I would assume all those in the county offices who are at higher positions and think about those types of things are so used to that "goldmine" they naturally skew toward approving ever more development.   That is my gut and also a function of having been a bit involved in this going back almost 2 decades while working as part of a consulting team that was working on the extension of the Orange Silver Line to Reston/ the Airport/ and into Loudoun. 

The above has absolutely nothing to do with developer "payoffs" or supporting County Politicians.  I actually don't know anything about that.  But between the County Planning staff and the County Financial Staff, decades of depending on large amounts of tax revenues from commercial real estate have to skew their thinking toward always approving development, at least IMHO

4 hours ago, lion said:

Reston NOW OP-Ed on Wheel Lock Properties and their possible plan for Hidden Creek Golf Course. 

Weird thing is they are making these moves in plain sight.  It was publicized when they first purchased HC, then speculation about development soon followed.  They have to re-zone and that is no small task.  As valuable as the land is (regardless of how little the new owners paid), it increases exponentially if they somehow get it designated for homes/townhomes/condos etc, but it appears that more than an uphill battle. 

L’OCCITANE en Provence in Reston Town Center is Temporarily Closed by Fatimah Waseem, RestonNow

Through a sleek new design, with a hint of vintage detailing, a focus on warm elegant materials, and an emphasis on light, the new in-store experience will convey a renewed sense of modernity & conviviality for the brand. Stepping inside the new store guests will be greeted with an ‘Ice-breaker’ sink unit and this is where they will begin their L’OCCITANE discovery journey…  Other parts of the boutique will feature an area dedicated to professional skincare consultations, an inviting Provencal lounge, and an enhanced cashier area featuring an impactful Gift Atelier where customers can explore our expertise in the Art of Gifting. The new store is due to open Fall 2018 and we are excited to bring the Sunshine & hospitality of Provence to Reston Town Center.

Boston Properties May Put Athletic Field On Top Of RTC Garage by Dan Taylor, Patch

Fairfax County says that as part of the Reston Gateway development, BXP may put an athletic field on the Purple Garage.

I think this gives all new meaning to out of bounds....

More info in this article Athletic Field Planned as Part of Boston Properties’ Reston Gateway Project by Fatimah Waseem, RestonNow

@ RTC West there is a garage that has "free" parking, but you have to walk either thru the office lobby or around the exterior to get to the retail.  On weekends, they sometimes have Valet in the surface lot across from SB and Cooper's Hawk.

BTW - Glory Days has the Impossible Burger as well, the closest location is at North Point Village Plaza and the parking is free and fairly plentiful.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2018 at 5:56 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

@ RTC West there is a garage that has "free" parking, but you have to walk either thru the office lobby or around the exterior to get to the retail.  On weekends, they sometimes have Valet in the surface lot across from SB and Cooper's Hawk.

BTW - Glory Days has the Impossible Burger as well, the closest location is at North Point Village Plaza and the parking is free and fairly plentiful.

Thanks for letting me know about Glory Days. Want to try the impossible burger and that's another location.

Google search brings up big prospective lease by the Wiehle-Reston East Metro By Daniel J Sernovitz, WBJ

The Mountain View, California-based company is in talks to lease about 100,000 square feet from Comstock Cos. at 1900 Reston Metro Plaza,

Fairfax County Planning Commission Defers Decision on Reston Corner by Fatimah Waseem, RestonNow