The 2017 Academy Awards - Featuring the Worst Gaffe in Televised Awards History

DonRocks

I cannot believe Jimmy Kimmel is coming back to host the Oscars next year. I don't see how anyone could have done any worse than he did, especially during the Best Picture flub, but even aside from that.

I should add that I simply do not like Jimmy Kimmel, so perhaps that's biasing me, but I thought he was just awful.

(Yes, I feel sorry for what happened with his child - anyone would - but I have no problem compartmentalizing that.)

Maybe for 2019, we can get Howard Stern or David Letterman to do it.

I was sort of thinking about Johnny, too, but I must say I simply don't remember if he was actually good at hosting them or if there was so little for comparison that he ended up on top for that sort of thing.  Remember, he was in the age of 3 broadcast channels and no cable, with 3 awards shows per year (Oscars, Emmys, Tonys) and the next closest comparable at that time was probably the Miss America pageant.  Was he good, or was he just somewhat better than a very small pool of fish?  I don't know or can't remember.

On 5/20/2017 at 5:19 AM, The Hersch said:

Johnny Carson was a whole lot better than Bob Hope. He was, actually, the best. (At practically everything he did. Johnny, we hardly knew ye.)

I think you were just so happy that Ed McMahon wasn't there, that you thought Johnny Carson was better than he actually was. :)

(I honestly don't remember either Carson or Bob Hope hosting the awards, so I have no real opinion.)

On 5/22/2017 at 4:28 PM, DonRocks said:

I think you were just so happy that Ed McMahon wasn't there, that you thought Johnny Carson was better than he actually was. :)

(I honestly don't remember either Carson or Bob Hope hosting the awards, so I have no real opinion.)

I don't think I watched the Oscars after Johnny Carson's last stint, which I can't be bothered to look up. On a related note, I never saw a James Bond film that didn't star Sean Connery, and I didn't even see all of his. I best remember the late Roger Moore as the Mavericks' English cousin.

On 5/20/2017 at 2:19 AM, The Hersch said:

Johnny Carson was a whole lot better than Bob Hope. He was, actually, the best. (At practically everything he did. Johnny, we hardly knew ye.)

When John Holmes died, Playboy did a retrospective called, "Johnny, We Hardly Blew Ye."

• Like 1