Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (1974-), in the Colorado Desert of Southern California

Another year, another Superbloom! Hooray for a wet winter :) Flowers came up about a week ago and will last a few more weeks in a "rolling bloom" if anyone is interested...

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

California Deserts In 'Super Bloom' Thanks To A Wet Winter

Anza-Borrego Desert Wildflowers Update

NYT video of flowers

Pretty flower pics to brighten your day courtesy of the Orange County Register

Borrego Springs is tiny and was apparently completely overwhelmed the weekend before I was there, but seems to have recovered this past week: they didn't run out of gasoline or food, and police were doing a good job of traffic control.

A few quick observations:

Hacienda del Sol - old-fashioned motel (the only place I could get a room), so run-down it's almost an insult. There was one and only one outlet that accepted three-prong plugs in my little cabin. Bare light fixtures. Threadbare furniture. No wifi except in the lobby and pool area, which close at 8:00. Feh.

If you want wifi the thing to do is go across the street to the public library and hang out on one of the many benches. Wifi is on 24 hrs/day. And there are outlets outside. Woo!

Food?  Engh. Kendall's Cafe is open at 0600 and serves a good diner breakfast. For dinner, though, not so great, but maybe one of the better options in town. Red Ocotillo seems like maybe it's the closest thing to high-end (a very low bar to clear in this town). Carmelita's served the best food I had all week (until I got back to San Diego), but that's also not saying much.

There's a nice little independent grocery/deli in town. Central Market or something.

I could type lots more but just got home after not sleeping on the red-eye. If anyone wants specific advice or info, post here and I'll do what I can.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I'm thinking you need to hear the wind and smell the desert floor.

:) I couldn't agree more and would have visited already if it weren't for my two car-averse kids who would lose their ever-loving minds if I made them sit in a car for 9 hours (best case scenario) over the weekend.  So until they are more car-amenable (i.e., when they have the attention span to watch movies while we drive), road tripping is out for us and I'll have to "smell the wildflowers" via video.

23 hours ago, DonRocks said:

[I was actually using the Universal You.] :)

22 hours ago, NolaCaine said:
19 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

The pictures are just beautiful.  Thanks for posting this thread, how neat.

Hahahaha well I'm just glad y'all are enjoying the pics I posted for y'all. And I do think y'all should go and see/feel it all for yourselves if y'all can 😋