Sign in to follow this  
TedE

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

TedE   

DFH 120 Minute is probably still the king of high-test Imperial IPAs.  I've heard it referenced as a "quadruple IPA" to distinguish it from lowly double IPAs, borrowing the nomenclature of Belgian Tripel and Quadrupel ales.  Available twice a year and selling out regularly even at $10 per 12 oz bottle, it clocks in somewhere in the high teens to around 20% ABV depending on the batch.  My understanding is that once you get to that strength fermentation becomes harder to control and recipes can't be dialed in as easily, so every release is a little bit different.  Anyway, I only bring it up now because I saw it over the weekend at the DC Costco being sold by the case ... for $199.  That is certainly the most expensive case of beer I've ever seen!  Someone told me you can get it at the brewery in Milton, DE around release date by the case as well, and I'm sure it runs about the same.

The brew pub in Rehoboth usually taps a couple kegs from the Spring release over the summer which is where I usually get my yearly fix.  It does cellar very well, and they have other vintages available in bottles from time to time for comparison.  I know some beer geeks collect this one and have done vertical tastings going back several years.

pras   
On 4/24/2017 at 2:11 PM, TedE said:

DFH 120 Minute is probably still the king of high-test Imperial IPAs.  I've heard it referenced as a "quadruple IPA" to distinguish it from lowly double IPAs, borrowing the nomenclature of Belgian Tripel and Quadrupel ales.  Available twice a year and selling out regularly even at $10 per 12 oz bottle, it clocks in somewhere in the high teens to around 20% ABV depending on the batch.  My understanding is that once you get to that strength fermentation becomes harder to control and recipes can't be dialed in as easily, so every release is a little bit different.  Anyway, I only bring it up now because I saw it over the weekend at the DC Costco being sold by the case ... for $199.  That is certainly the most expensive case of beer I've ever seen!  Someone told me you can get it at the brewery in Milton, DE around release date by the case as well, and I'm sure it runs about the same.

The brew pub in Rehoboth usually taps a couple kegs from the Spring release over the summer which is where I usually get my yearly fix.  It does cellar very well, and they have other vintages available in bottles from time to time for comparison.  I know some beer geeks collect this one and have done vertical tastings going back several years.

Pretty good deal, but I can't imagine having a case!

TedE   
On 4/26/2017 at 1:56 PM, pras said:

Pretty good deal, but I can't imagine having a case!

Was in Rehoboth last week and confirm that they sell it by the case at retail for $216.  Factor in the tax and that's about even with Costco.

But $7.50 a glass at the brewpub (10 oz. pour) is definitely the way to go.

lion   

My current favorite beer. At the moment have three in the fridge for special occasions. Would love to be able to try it on tap some place, if you ever see a place locally TedE please post!

I do think it's taste does change after three years, optimal drinking time ~1-2 years.

pras   
On 8/9/2017 at 6:46 PM, lion said:

My current favorite beer. At the moment have three in the fridge for special occasions. Would love to be able to try it on tap some place, if you ever see a place locally TedE please post!

I do think it's taste does change after three years, optimal drinking time ~1-2 years.

It's regularly available at the local Dogfish Head Ale House locations.

• Like 1

lion   
On 8/11/2017 at 9:21 PM, pras said:

It's regularly available at the local Dogfish Head Ale House locations.

Ah thanks for the info! I think years ago when I first started drinking 120, a couple of the Dogfish locations said they only got a couple of kegs and they went fast. 

pras   
13 hours ago, lion said:

Ah thanks for the info! I think years ago when I first started drinking 120, a couple of the Dogfish locations said they only got a couple of kegs and they went fast. 

According to their production schedule, they are making it twice a year now--April-May and November-December.  They have also dramatically increased production, so it is likely much more available.