Opioid-Induced Hyperalgesia: Yet Another Medical Mistake?

DonRocks

I want to see proof that opioids *cause* pain. 

Just like coffee (and cigarettes, and alcohol, and many other drugs), that first-ever cup perks you right up. Then a month later, you find yourself needing to drink two cups, then three, and so on. After drinking coffee for years, try *not* drinking coffee for a day, and see how you're feeling that afternoon. It takes more, and more, and more just to wake yourself up.

But that doesn't mean coffee *induces* fatigue; it means your body becomes dependent on caffeine, and needs more of it to perform the same task.

If it were true that opioids *cause* pain:

A significant percentage of recreational opioid users - who are *not* chronic pain patients - would develop chronic pain.

I defy anyone to show me one single shred of evidence that this has occurred. Ever.

Also, as a lesser example:

A significant percentage of chronic pain patients would develop worsening pain, instead of their baseline pain merely returning to where it was (and requiring the same dose of opioids to keep it there) - both human psychology and the passage-of-time come into play very heavily in this scenario - much more so than the one above. People who have experienced relief on opioids will lie, cheat, and steal to maintain that relief, and no "study" or "poll" will be accurate, because they're being accused of being "criminals," "drug addicts," "liars," etc., when all they're trying to do is get relief from the pain which is ruining their lives.

I predict that if opioids become illegal, or even harder to obtain for chronic pain patients than they are now, our nation's suicide rate will double within five years - with chronic-pain patients, it might even triple. It isn't the withdrawal that would drive these people to take their own lives; it's the never-ending pain which will be left untreated for day after week after month after year after decade.

If you're a chronic-pain patient reading this, I have very good reason to believe that the St. Jude's DRG Stimulator will become MRI-compatible within a year. The stimulator is a fucking joke.

Yes, the "ghetto-dwelling junkie" from the 1970s was in the *exact* same situation (with the exception that most were originally looking for euphoria, instead of seeking pain relief) - still, they sure as *hell* didn't deserve to be stigmatized, marginalized, and criminalized the way they were - I wish I could transport myself back in time and defend them.

I'm right, and everyone else is wrong. I predict medical science will realize that opioids induce "tolerance" and "dependence," but do *not* induce "amplification of pain." You heard it here first - this is original thought, and hasn't been confirmed by anybody or anything.

But I know I'm right.

On 3/25/2017 at 11:54 AM, DonRocks said:

Wait and see: The same "professionals" who got people dependent on opioids are the ones who will pull the rug out from underneath them, without any type of soft landing for the patients - all to cover their own asses.

Right?

On 5/3/2017 at 1:51 PM, DonRocks said:

I predict that if opioids become illegal, or even harder to obtain for chronic pain patients than they are now, our nation's suicide rate will double within five years - with chronic-pain patients, it might even triple. It isn't the withdrawal that would drive these people to take their own lives; it's the never-ending pain which will be left untreated for day after week after month after year after decade.

"My Husband Committed Suicide after Doctors Refused His Pain Medication" by Meredith Lawrence on clarionledger.com

"Pain Patients Beg FDA for More Options, Easier Access to Opioids" by Maggie Fox on nbcnews.com

"Oregon Plan To Eliminate Opioid Prescriptions May Push Patients with Chronic Pain to Assisted Suicide" by Alex Schadenberg on lifenews.com

"Oregon Opioid Policy Drawing Fire from Pain Leaders and Physicians" by Ed Coghlan on nationalpainreport.com

On 5/3/2017 at 1:51 PM, DonRocks said:

Don't say I didn't warn you:

"Suicides Associated with Forced Tapering of Opiate Pain Treatments" by Thomas Kline on medium.com