dr.com Picnics - It Has Been a Long Time

21 minutes ago, DanielK said:

I still have the DR Bag Of Assorted Paper Goods in my garage.

All it takes to restart is someone willing to "chair" the event. Once the date is picked and the spot reserved, the rest kind of manages itself.

I'm not as confident as you are, Daniel - I saw interest slowly waning and draining over a period of years. Yes, it can make a comeback, even a sudden comeback, but it will help things if I make a comeback as well. :)

31 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I'm not as confident as you are, Daniel - I saw interest slowly waning and draining over a period of years. Yes, it can make a comeback, even a sudden comeback, but it will help things if I make a comeback as well. :)

Yeah, I wasn't referring to attendance level, just to actually having an event.

You know, I'll be happy to foot the bill if even a dozen of you want to get together - the problem is that, at first, people here actually knew each other; now, they only "know each other" on the internet. 

I don't care about money, and I tried to stop this from happening - finally, I realized it was out of my control, but I'd be happy to try and get things started again. It isn't like this community is going anywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

I guess I am not official. I do not possess a card. Sad face.

No worries.  As you can see, my card expired 12/31/09.  My status has been uncertain ever since.  One false move and its curtains, I'm sure.  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

If someone wants to reserve a location, I'll pay for everything.

For warm weather events, my HOA in the Herndon area has a large field with a paved sports court that we use for our various social events, but no water, power, or potties.  Port-o-potties can be rented.  The upside is that it is private property which means that alcohol is NOT a problem.  I can provide a reasonable amount of water for handwashing, etc.  One of the neighbors who borders the field might well let us run a power line in exchange for delicious food.   Does anyone else have an HOA that might have better facilities available?

5 hours ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

I am taking the lead on this. Please chime in if  you are  interested in attending this year's DR picnic. I am thinking summer, Junish.

POP SURVEY!

I started to take the survey, but my answers to them all were, any of the above!  So just count me in as likely, unless there is JF event, Mt Vernon event, or I am traveling.  I do have some cookbooks I could bring to swap.  I also can offer my condo's private space, it has a fridge, microwave, oven, dishwasher, little patio space, etc.  It is also very metro friendly in Arlington, but not a HUGE amount of street parking, but I have parking garages that aren't too pricey about a block away.  No pressure, just an offer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

I started to take the survey, but my answers to them all where, any of the above!  So just count me in as likely, unless there is JF event, Mt Vernon event, or I am traveling.  I do have some cookbooks I could bring to swap.  I also can offer my condo's private space, it has a fridge, microwave, oven, dishwasher, little patio space, etc.  It is also very metro friendly in Arlington, but not a HUGE amount of street parking, but I have parking garages that aren't too pricey about a block away.  No pressure, just an offer.

That is so kind of you! Thank you. This is the first time posting a monkey survey, so there may be kinks. Inviting us into your home is warmly received. Let me let the survey run for a bit, and discuss with you when a date will work best. 

Cruise Director,

kat

15 hours ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

That is so kind of you! Thank you. This is the first time posting a monkey survey, so there may be kinks. Inviting us into your home is warmly received. Let me let the survey run for a bit, and discuss with you when a date will work best. 

Cruise Director,

kat

Kat, don't be discouraged if only a handful of people show up - this was a bonafide community ten years ago, with regular get-togethers, and people who became life-long friends; it has changed into something more like a combination of Reddit, Wikipedia, and Facebook, where information is the driving force. We need people like you to spark the desire to make new friends, so please don't become disheartened. My dream had always been for this community to be a force for charitable endeavors, but that isn't how things panned out, so I'm doing it on my own, in private, for now - maybe you can rekindle the fire, and God love you for trying.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

We need people like you to spark the desire to make new friends, so please don't become disheartened. My dream had always been for this community to be a force for charitable endeavors, but that isn't how things panned out, so I'm doing it on my own, in private, for now - maybe you can rekindle the fire, and God love you for trying.

Making new friends is almost like breathing to me, Rocks. It’s comes natural. Thats the easy part. Bringing people together to share food is even easier, in my world anyway. I too share your vision.  In time, your dream will become a reality, I will see to it. Have faith. 

I may sound like a broken record, but I will never forget that first DR Happy Hour at Firefly. I could not have dreamed of a better turn out. Perhaps that is the way to go. Resurrect HH, and eventually build those HH into dinner gatherings. Those dinners won’t be like other dinners. These dinners will be with purpose. Dining for the greater cause.  I am happy to lead the charge!  

Oh, & FYI, Im sure this comes as no surprise. I talk about #donrockwelldotcom to everyone that crosses my path. You would think I’m the Mayor of the Dining Forum. Once I have attached myself to something, it sticks like crazy glue. 

I know what challenges lie ahead. I am prepared for them. Rocks, you can count on me not to be discouraged. I got your back, you have my word. 

Mayor,

kat

On 1/19/2018 at 1:19 PM, kitkatpaddywak said:

I am taking the lead on this. Please chime in if  you are  interested in attending this year's DR picnic. I am thinking summer, Junish.

POP SURVEY!

The results are in!  !7 Rockwellians chimed in  and that makes me as happy as a clam at high water. Now I will need a little help from the gallery to pinpoint a park, since I am not all to familiar with locations. So please chime in! 

Cruise director,

kat

44 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

Don't live in the SS area, so not sure what park would be better, but will drive wherever!

I reside in PA& I will be attending:wub: This forum is special to me, I want this to happen. Whether 2 attend, or 40 attend, its gonna be a swell get together . I will check to see which one is more reasonable in pricing, and will post the details. 

Hostess with the mostest,

kat

FWIW Montgomery Parks generally prohibit alcohol except at two parks.  I don't know what they intended by "litter bottles":

Alcohol is permitted only in group picnic areas located in Cabin John Regional Park and Valley Mill Special Park. In these areas, alcohol is limited to beer in kegs and wine in litter bottles. No alcohol is allowed elsewhere on park property.

https://www.montgomeryparks.org/services/permits-rentals/faqs/

State Parks in both states are similarly restrictive, although alcohol permits exist for some areas.  On top of the site rental and permit fees, per-car entrance fees appear to be in effect for quite a few of these, as well as at some NoVa Parks facilities.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/Publiclands/Pages/alcoholfaq.aspx

Info regarding Carderock.

Carderock Pavilion

Carderock Picnic Pavilion

The picnic pavilion at the Carderock Recreation Area is a large covered pavilion, open on three sides, that accommodates a maximum of 200 people. Convenient and ample parking is available for all attending your event.

There are 30 picnic tables in or around the pavilion and electricity, in the form of 4 110-volt outlets, is available for your use. There are 2 large grills outside the pavilion and a large fireplace within the pavilion. Water and comfort stations are located nearby.

There is an adjacent field area for activities of all types. You must provide the sports equipment, though poles are provided for volleyball or badminton.

The Carderock Picnic Pavilion is available by permit only from Recreation.gov.

Reservations may be made up to one year in advance. The cost for the permit is $250.00 for Monday - Thursday and $350.00 for Friday - Sunday, and on federal holidays. No rain dates or partial refunds will be provided

Here is a listing of general rules and regulations for use of the Carderock Picnic Pavilion. A more complete listing of park rules and regulations is available.

• The permit allows use of the pavilion between sunrise and sunset only. The park closes at dark, which is one half-hour after sunset.
  • Only beer and/or wine may be served in unbreakable containers. Alcohol is not permitted outside the pavilion area
  • Catering is permitted, however no vehicle access will be provided to the pavilion. They must be able to operate without running a generator or vehicle. The use of portable gas equipment is allowed.
  • Permission is required to post signs or banners at the pavilion or on the roadways.
  • The park is a "Trash Free Park" and trashcans are not provided. Trash must be picked up and the area left in a clean condition before departure.
  • Fires may be built in established or portable grills only. All fires must be extinguished before leaving the park.
  • Parking or driving on the grass is not permitted. Parking is restricted to designated parking lots and parking may not be reserved. Car pooling and/or charted buses should be considered for groups of 100 or more.
  • No live bands, disc jockeys, etc. are permitted. Any volume amplification must be at a sound level that does not carry beyond the pavilion or interfere with the use of the area by other park visitors.
  • No vending, gambling, raffles or collection of fees of any kind are allowed on park property.
  • No amusement type rides and/or generators are permitted. (i.e. Moon Bounce, pony rides, dunk tanks, etc.)

For further information, please e-mail the Fee Supervisor Shaun Lehmann

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pjnewman said:

Carderock Picnic Pavilion

• Only beer and/or wine may be served in unbreakable containers. Alcohol is not permitted outside the pavilion area

I could get behind this - we need to respect their rules by using cans, or by pouring beer/wine into plastic glasses (I hate plastic, but we can recycle them).

I will pay for whatever site we rent - just let me know where to call, and for which date.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 12:53 PM, DonRocks said:

I could get behind this - we need to respect their rules by using cans, or by pouring beer/wine into plastic glasses (I hate plastic, but we can recycle them).

I will pay for whatever site we rent - just let me know where to call, and for which date.

I checked dates. Month of June is already booked. The closest date available is July 1st. Act quickly, these dates are going fast. I just checked backed  and that date is no longer available, the next one is July 29th:o

I looked at the website again today:

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/carderock-recreation-area-pavilion/r/campsiteDetails.do?arvdate=07/21/2018&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=111899&siteId=401320&lengthOfStay=

and it appears as if a number of dates are still available. Let me know if you would prefer that I book a date? Are Saturdays or Sundays preferable or does it matter? If you have already booked the site (July 29th has been reserved) than never mind.

Paul

38 minutes ago, pjnewman said:

I looked at the website again 

and it appears as if a number of dates are still available. Let me know if you would prefer that I book a date? Are Saturdays or Sundays preferable or does it matter? If you have already booked the site (July 29th has been reserved) than never mind.

Paul

We are locked in for 7/29! Thank you for providing all of the information. It was very helpful.