John William G

dr.com Picnics - It Has Been a Long Time

20 minutes ago, John William G said:

I miss the Don Rockwell picnics. 

Ah yes, the salad days. And pulled pork days. And way too many delicious baked goods days.

There's no reason they can't happen again, but someone's going to have to step up (it won't be me, at least not yet, but I'll help however people want me to).

I still have the DR Bag Of Assorted Paper Goods in my garage.

All it takes to restart is someone willing to "chair" the event. Once the date is picked and the spot reserved, the rest kind of manages itself.

21 minutes ago, DanielK said:

I still have the DR Bag Of Assorted Paper Goods in my garage.

All it takes to restart is someone willing to "chair" the event. Once the date is picked and the spot reserved, the rest kind of manages itself.

I'm not as confident as you are, Daniel - I saw interest slowly waning and draining over a period of years. Yes, it can make a comeback, even a sudden comeback, but it will help things if I make a comeback as well. :)

31 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I'm not as confident as you are, Daniel - I saw interest slowly waning and draining over a period of years. Yes, it can make a comeback, even a sudden comeback, but it will help things if I make a comeback as well. :)

Yeah, I wasn't referring to attendance level, just to actually having an event.

Somewhere, I have a cork from a bottle of Nigl that Don brought to one of the spring picnics. It might have been the one where Antonio Burrell was frying Twinkies. Jake Parrott was pouring interesting libations. Ah, I truly miss these....

You know, I'll be happy to foot the bill if even a dozen of you want to get together - the problem is that, at first, people here actually knew each other; now, they only "know each other" on the internet. 

I don't care about money, and I tried to stop this from happening - finally, I realized it was out of my control, but I'd be happy to try and get things started again. It isn't like this community is going anywhere.

• Like 1

I've only been to one DR.com event (the beef tasting at Vidalia), but would be happy to attend events going forward if folks want to organize them.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 10:28 AM, Al Dente said:

Ah yes, the salad days. And pulled pork days. And way too many delicious baked goods days.

um, there is no such thing as too many delicious baked good days.

On 5/14/2017 at 6:28 PM, DanielK said:

I will volunteer as Tribute to chair this year's DR. Picnic for 2018.

Sorry for the triple posting back to back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2017 at 12:49 PM, kitkatpaddywak said:

I will volunteer as Tribute to chair this year's DR. Picnic for 2018.

Sorry for the triple posting back to back. 

bring your card

IMG_1284.JPG

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

I guess I am not official. I do not possess a card. Sad face.

No worries.  As you can see, my card expired 12/31/09.  My status has been uncertain ever since.  One false move and its curtains, I'm sure.  :ph34r:

Cookbook swap?  Ventworm-themed food and apparel?  Orphaned wine bottle extravaganza?  Massive tasting of <insert food category here>?  DanielK hauling paper utensils back and forth?  Let’s do the thing!

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

If someone wants to reserve a location, I'll pay for everything.

For warm weather events, my HOA in the Herndon area has a large field with a paved sports court that we use for our various social events, but no water, power, or potties.  Port-o-potties can be rented.  The upside is that it is private property which means that alcohol is NOT a problem.  I can provide a reasonable amount of water for handwashing, etc.  One of the neighbors who borders the field might well let us run a power line in exchange for delicious food.   Does anyone else have an HOA that might have better facilities available?

18 hours ago, ol_ironstomach said:

DanielK hauling paper utensils back and forth? 

I've still got a collection of DR.com picnic dry goods in a box in my garage. I'm in!

FYI - our normal site of Fort Hunt Park, C-2, season is April through October, and the site should open up for reservations sometime in January. $200.

• Like 1