Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum (1876), the Oldest Surviving Synagogue in DC, at 3rd and G Street NW

This is the oldest surviving Synagogue in Washington, DC, having been built in 1876 - its descendent is in Cleveland Park, very close to where Palena was.

I'm not even certain which neighborhood the Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum resides in, but it has moved more often than the Cape Hatteras Light (really, it has). 

"The Little D.C. Shul that Could" by Raquel Wildes on tabletmag.com

This may not be as "obligatory" as visiting the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, but it's a quick visit, has easier access, and is a whole lot less depressing. 

I believe the Synagogue itself is temporarily closed, but there are guided tours, as well as sidewalk chats.

9 hours ago, DonRocks said:

This is the oldest surviving Synagogue in Washington, DC, having been built in 1876 - its descendent is in Cleveland Park, very close to where Palena was.

I'm not even certain which neighborhood the Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum resides in, but it has moved more often than the Cape Hatteras Light (really, it has). 

"The Little D.C. Shul that Could" by Raquel Wildes on tabletmag.com

This may not be as "obligatory" as visiting the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, but it's a quick visit, has easier access, and is a whole lot less depressing. 

I believe the Synagogue itself is temporarily closed, but there are guided tours, as well as sidewalk chats.

I need to learn more about Lillian and Albert Small. I had relatives named Smolensky who settled in KC and changed their name to Small. Apparently did very well in the drugstore business.

• Like 1

I've been there a couple of times and believe I met Albert Small once at an industry activity.  There is some history on the web on he and his family.

In the 80's my fiancé and I thought an invitation to our "big Jewish wedding" at the "Small" Synagogue might look cute. (It was too small)

Its story and history are really about the history of a community in that city.  There are neat places like that in many cities and they depict many interesting (usually immigrant)communities, not necessarily Jewish at all.  They are interesting if you want to learn about the folks that helped to grow a city.

• Like 1