German Restaurants

19 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

The Bavarian Inn & Lodge has a very good German restaurant that also does quite a bit of game on their menu. I would never, ever stay at their hotel as an overnight guest ever again though.

I've eaten at the Bavarian Inn a few times. It was good, but not worth a special drive to Shepherdstown. I'd rather drive to Lancaster to eat Pennsylvania Dutch fare, if I'm going to drive a distance. Not genuine German food, but the influence is unmistakeable. And there are at least a dozen good ones to pick from....

59 minutes ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

I've eaten at the Bavarian Inn a few times. It was good, but not worth a special drive to Shepherdstown. I'd rather drive to Lancaster to eat Pennsylvania Dutch fare, if I'm going to drive a distance. Not genuine German food, but the influence is unmistakeable. And there are at least a dozen good ones to pick from....

I agree - I would not go out of my way to go there. But, if I was in the general vicinity for other reasons, I'd consider it, especially if it was around the time you'd expect to see a lot of game on the menu.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MarkS said:

I'll take one for the team and check out the Old Stein.  Seems to be popular among folks in Annapolis area.

I have been to the Old Stein a few times and it is very good (discussed at least one of my meals there on this site). Please visit and let us know what you think. If the weather is nice, try to sit outside.

I've only been to the Old Stein once a couple of years ago, but I enjoyed myself. The patio was lovely, and they had an oompah band the night we were there. I'm no expert on German food, but I remember enjoying whatever I ate (as did the rest of our party).

Does anyone know anything about the Bavarian Chef in Madison, VA (apparently they also have a location in Fredericksburg)? They're right down Route 29 from the farm we visit every fall, and I never knew about them. We may have to check them out when we visit this fall.

On 7/10/2017 at 0:40 PM, dracisk said:

Does anyone know anything about the Bavarian Chef in Madison, VA (apparently they also have a location in Fredericksburg)? They're right down Route 29 from the farm we visit every fall, and I never knew about them. We may have to check them out when we visit this fall.

Bumping this up - I drive by here all the time but have never convinced my +1 that its good enough to try, anyone have some intel?

I stumbled across this comment from @Joe H in the The Bridge thread:

"Coming full circle the Bavarian Chef is an amazingly good old school German chalet on route 29 near Madison.  It is impossible that a German restaurant in Madison, VA could be this good but it is.  And it's survived for 40 years."

Based on this I think we'll check it out! Joe's comment is from 2014, though, so if anyone has any more up to date info I'd still appreciate it.

We ate on Friday at Edelweiss Restaurant in Staunton, VA.  We enjoyed it.  They let us split the German Sampler (Dinner) Chef’s choice of five of our most popular dishes: sauerbraten, gulasch, wiener schnitzel, rahmschnitzel, and jägerschnitzel (the plate also included sides) for $24.95 and we added potato paddies at just over $6 for three.  They had a nice selection of German beers on tap in the $5-7 range, my wife bought a Dark Beer that ended up being fairly light and easy drinking (not a stout).   

Jägerschnitzel was our top item with wiener schnitzel coming in second (and the best left over).  Rahmschnitzel was great as well. The Hungarian-Style Goulash (Dinner) included in the sampler had huge chunks of pork in it and didn't seem at all similar to the Goulash we had in cheaper places in Budapest.  The sauerbraten was our least favorite item.

We had a good amount left over so we ate that for breakfast in the hotel (a recently renovated fairly nice room in a Motel 6 just north of town that was only $56).  One of the daily specials was a ham hock similar to what we had in brussels last year, but this ham hock looked very large, a single woman was eating one and i'm sure she took home pounds of meet.

I'd recommend stopping by if you are in transit down I-81 and have time.  We were heading the the VA Craft Brew festival in Charlottesville the next day and were very happy that we choose to drive closer on Friday and only had the 45 minute drive the next day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

There's always the next incarnation of what was once Blob's Park in Jessup --http://www.thebavarianbrauhaus.com/

Also, if German restaurants are in decline in the USA, it might be because they have not embraced using the cuisine's core and modernizing those elements that so many places in Germany, Austria and other German speaking countries do.

58 minutes ago, Pool Boy said:

There's always the next incarnation of 

Also, if German restaurants are in decline in the USA, it might be because they have not embraced using the cuisine's core and modernizing those elements that so many places in Germany, Austria and other German speaking countries do.

That was a critical element  in the article.

When I was on vacation in Germany in 2013, we found the food very heavy (lots of meat, lots of potatoes).  I love meat, but it was even too much for me.  We ended up eating at Italian restaurants in Germany, and, oh my, they were terrific.  I think due to the immigration from nearby Italy.

2 hours ago, hopsing said:

When I was on vacation in Germany in 2013, we found the food very heavy (lots of meat, lots of potatoes).  I love meat, but it was even too much for me.  We ended up eating at Italian restaurants in Germany, and, oh my, they were terrific.  I think due to the immigration from nearby Italy.

I've been to Germany a number of times, and I agree that the food is generally hearty. A lot of countries with cold weather and hard workers develop dishes to appeal to the heartier appetites. Salads are not likely to brace you for the rigors of Alpine life.

There are times when a good pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes really hit the spot, especially on New Year's Day for those of us from Amish country. And a full plate of schweineshnitzel with boiled potatoes, or oxtail soup, sends me over the top. Never in mid-summer, however, and not too often even in cold months....

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 6:45 PM, MarkS said:

I'll take one for the team and check out the Old Stein.  Seems to be popular among folks in Annapolis area.

On 7/10/2017 at 1:48 PM, curls said:

I have been to the Old Stein a few times and it is very good (discussed at least one of my meals there on this site). Please visit and let us know what you think. If the weather is nice, try to sit outside.

On 7/10/2017 at 6:40 PM, dracisk said:

I've only been to the Old Stein once a couple of years ago, but I enjoyed myself. The patio was lovely, and they had an oompah band the night we were there. I'm no expert on German food, but I remember enjoying whatever I ate (as did the rest of our party).

Is this the restaurant on Route 214, out in the middle of nowhere? I used to pass it on the way to Edgewater Liquor (don't ask).

Upscale, Modern German cuisine is *nothing* like the wursts and schitzels that are stereotypical, old-school German. Not that I care about Michelin Stars, but there are 3-star restaurants in Germany, and they didn't earn those stars by serving knockwurst and sauerkraut - Terry Theise thinks one in particular (I can't remember which) is one of the greatest restaurants he's ever tried - up there with Michel Bras.

I had a Weihenstephaner Traditional Dark about one hour ago (in Freising). :) Cost nearly $100 for two of us to each have one beer - long story - worth it.

• Like 1

Most German beer is amazing (on par w/ Belgian beer) & German food is pretty good, too.  It's just a hard sell compared to more predictably spiced & tasty food (some of the best meals I had in Germany & Austria were versions of Asian food). I have a copy of "The Biergarten Cookbook-Traditional Bavarian Recipes" which has some good recipes, including my favorite-flammekuchen.