Spindrift Sparkling Waters, Made with Fruit Purée

DonRocks

Yesterday at German Gourmet, I randomly bought two cans of sparkling water because I liked what the ingredients listed - one of them was cucumber, and the other was strawberry.

Having just worked out, I was thirsty, so I popped open the strawberry, took a gulp, and immediately said to my friend, "This is the best strawberry soda I've ever had." Then came the cucumber, which was just as good - there is essentially no sweetness, and no calories, in either one (the strawberry has 8 calories because of strawberry purée - the only other ingredients are carbonated water and lime juice).

It turns out these were Spindrift sparkling waters, which I'd never heard of. 

The bad news is that they're *frightfully* expensive - almost $2.50 per can on Amazon.com; the good news is that they're $1.50 a can on Spindrift's own website (it's $42 for a 24-can case including shipping). I realize that's a lot of money, but I'm pretty sure that if you taste one of these, you'll see why I like them so much.

I'm going to figure out who has the least-expensive bulk product, including shipping, and drop about $100 on an order. To me, they really are that good.

I have no information about this company other than that they're in Massachusetts, but I suspect they'll be bought out by a soda giant in the future (if they haven't been already), so enjoy them now while they're still outstanding - one day, we can all reminisce about how great Spindrift used to be (refer to Ben & Jerry's, Talenti Gelato, Pilsner Urquell, etc.). Unless this company is based on non-financial principles, I don't see how this *won't* happen, based on the quality that was in the cans yesterday.

Buy them now!

Edit - I found them (not all flavors) on LuckyVitamin for just over $1.00 a bottle if you buy 48+ cans (free shipping). There's even a slightly larger discount if you buy 12 4-packs of the same thing (I think it's $1.02 per bottle).

Screenshot 2017-07-05 at 2.11.52 PM.png 

5 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Yesterday at German Gourmet, I randomly bought two cans of sparkling water because I liked what the ingredients listed - one of them was cucumber, and the other was strawberry.

Having just worked out, I was thirsty, so I popped open the strawberry, took a gulp, and immediately said to my friend, "This is the best strawberry soda I've ever had." Then came the cucumber, which was just as good - there is essentially no sweetness, and no calories, in either one (the strawberry has 8 calories because of strawberry purée - the only other ingredients are carbonated water and lime juice).

It turns out these were Spindrift sparkling waters, which I'd never heard of. 

Edit - I found them (not all flavors) on LuckyVitamin for just over $1.00 a bottle if you buy 48+ cans (free shipping). There's even a slightly larger discount if you buy 12 4-packs of the same thing (I think it's $1.02 per bottle).

Screenshot 2017-07-05 at 2.11.52 PM.png 

The DC Costco has had cases of this for well under $1/can.  I don't remember the exact price, but it wasn't over $20 and I think closer to $18.  Haven't seen it there in a few months, though.

On 7/5/2017 at 11:46 AM, DonRocks said:

Did you not think the cucumber tasted like pickles? I bought one at Dean & Deluca when I still worked in Georgetown thinking it would taste like cucumber water, and was nonplussed by the pickle flavor (Spindrift does use a little citric acid in the cucumber sparkling, which is likely the culprit). The blackberry variety, on the other hand, was delicious.

On 7/7/2017 at 11:27 AM, Xochitl10 said:

Did you not think the cucumber tasted like pickles? I bought one at Dean & Deluca when I still worked in Georgetown thinking it would taste like cucumber water, and was nonplussed by the pickle flavor (Spindrift does use a little citric acid in the cucumber sparkling, which is likely the culprit). The blackberry variety, on the other hand, was delicious.

Hmm, neither of us (two of us tried it) noticed any vinegar; just "essence of cucumber" - maybe now that you've mentioned it, I'll notice it. :mellow:

---

ETA - Yes, I notice what you're saying, now that you've said it.

I didn't pick up a pickle flavor from the cucumber version, but it tasted much more of cucumber than I was expecting it to.   It was quite good but $2.75 for a can at P&C/Wine & Butter market.  I'll have to check Costco.

1 hour ago, Pat said:

I didn't pick up a pickle flavor from the cucumber version, but it tasted much more of cucumber than I was expecting it to.   It was quite good but $2.75 for a can at P&C/Wine & Butter market.  I'll have to check Costco.

My cases came delivered without incident or extra cost.

I will admit that the "thrill" has worn off a bit (I drink like two a day), but for what is essentially infused seltzer, it's pretty darned good for a buck a can.

I didn't think I'd like the lemon or grapefruit, but I do; surprisingly, the raspberry may be my least favorite (although I still like it).

18 minutes ago, Rhone1998 said:

The link just takes me to a generic Fresh Direct page. What's the name of the seltzer?

Also, on that note, FreshDirect is great.

[This is 100% my fault. Rieux had put in a correct naked link, and I miscopied it and placed it under "this seltzer is spectacular" - I don't understand why I can't get the English link to work, but here it is: https://www.freshdirect.com/pdp.jsp?productId=gro_pid_4009659&catId=gro_bever_water_flavo

I apologize, Rieux and Rhone. I'm borderline Asperger's when it comes to seeing URL links in a post, and try to put them inside of words.]

But experts say that even if the allegations are true, consumers shouldn't jump to conclusions about the bubbly beverage, saying LaCroix would have to contain 50 percent of the linalool in order to pose a health risk, and that the natural chemical is often found in fruits and spices such as cinnamon.

"The consumer should not be alarmed by this lawsuit," Roger Clemens, a food safety expert from the University of Southern California, told "GMA." "The compounds under discussion occur naturally and citrus beverages like orange juice, lime juice."

The fact that they've used a synthetic form of it is probably the bigger story here.

I discovered Spindrift about a year ago at Cava.  They were/are expensive- but Trader Joes has them - and Harris Teeter has put 2 eight packs for the price of one.  Panera has them as well.  The prices on Amazon were ridiculous last year when I first looked to see how I could my hands on them.   Lemon is my favorite- I tried the Grapefruit it was pretty good as well.

3 minutes ago, dcandohio said:

Lol! Everyone is different!  I thought that perhaps I might be able to use the cucumber in a sort of Pimm’s cup concoction.  But I don’t have any Pimm’s. 

The cucumber works well as a mixer, I think. I also love the grapefruit.

15 hours ago, dcandohio said:

The cucumber is disgusting. Grapefruit is nice. 

We like the raspberry lime too. My husband doesn't like the cucumber that much but pointed out that is very refreshing after exercising on a hot day, and I realized that's when I tend to want them. Cucumber doesn't taste as good just to sit down and drink as some of the other flavors, but ice cold and gulped down on a hot day, the taste is different.

I can't find the cucumber ones anywhere retail except as singles. The Amazon price for them was way too high when I checked. Whole Foods and Old Town has the singles in the prepared foods cold case at a reasonable price per can, so that's where I've been buying them.  I've still got several in the refrigerator, and I doubt I'll be wanting them much  once the weather cools.

Costco has a 24 pack for I believe $14.99 (or pretty close to that ) and it has in the past been included in the monthly coupon discounts. Prefer Spindrift to La Croix. I saw a tea and lemon Spindrift at Sweetgreen but didn't end up buying it. Anyone on here try it?

22 minutes ago, rhefter said:

Costco has a 24 pack for I believe $14.99 (or pretty close to that ) and it has in the past been included in the monthly coupon discounts. Prefer Spindrift to La Croix. I saw a tea and lemon Spindrift at Sweetgreen but didn't end up buying it. Anyone on here try it?

I haven't tried that, but I can tell people *not* to buy Kirkland sparkling waters - they taste metallic, like La Croix except more so. I mean, they're "okay," but you know you're not drinking Spindrift.