Question on Booking Airfare

Ericandblueboy

So I booked round-trip premium economy to Copenhagen.  At the airport, I was able to upgrade my outbound trip to business class.  Question is, could I have booked business class outbound and premium economy inbound in advance (other than as 2 single one-way tickets)? 

From U.S. to Europe, lying down in business class is addictive.  From Europe to U.S., I don't tend to sleep as much.

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

So I booked round-trip premium economy to Copenhagen.  At the airport, I was able to upgrade my outbound trip to business class.  Question is, could I have booked business class outbound and premium economy inbound in advance (other than as 2 single one-way tickets)? 

From U.S. to Europe, lying down in business class is addictive.  From Europe to U.S., I don't tend to sleep as much.

It depends on the airline, but it's typically very hard to do - requiring a phone call and a patient customer service rep - when it's even allowed or if the fare rules don't make it effectively two one-way tickets.  My strategy is to always ask on the overnight flights if upgrades are available.  I'm told though that if you buy them too often they will flag you and stop offering the upgrade on the day of departure to see if you'll buy up front.

• Like 1