When "Get Out" debuted in theaters last winter, I couldn't wait to see it. It had a 99 percent positive critics' rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and friends whose opinions I value raved about it. I am not a fan of horror films, and I really didn't know what to expect. I certainly didn't anticipate what I saw--a thought provoking and highly entertaining film. This is a great film. It is a thrilling, darkly funny, mysterious movie that had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish.

"Get Out" is the directorial debut of Jordan Peele. My son is a fan of Key and Peele, so I expected this film to be funny in a slap-sticky, "Scary Movie," way. I couldn't have been more wrong. The humor is sophisticated and satirical. This movie feels like escapism, but at the same time, it made me think.

It is the tale of a black man dating a white woman who goes to meet her family in their upscale country home. Nothing is as it appears during this bizarre weekend. "Get Out" reminds me of some of my favorite old films, combined in a way that is fresh and new. I watched it for a second time last night, renting it on Amazon. After the credits roll, an alternate ending is presented. The director explains why this ending--the original one--was abandoned. I enjoyed watching the film for a second time, seeing all of the nuances I missed the first go around, and I liked hearing about why the movie ultimately ends as it does. If you rent this version, be sure to watch after the credits to see this interesting addition.

For those who think "The Babadook" is a modern horror classic (and "The Babadook" is an excellent movie well-worth watching), "Get Out" is on another level entirely. This is one of the greatest and most entertaining films I've ever seen - it mixes together *so many* classic, individual films I could name: I'm thinking of six right at this moment, and there are probably more; and yet, it's all its own - there's never been anything filmed like it before.

I enjoyed "Get Out" as much as any movie I can remember seeing, and I was fairly tired when I saw it, too - on a small-screen TV.

This is a touch too long - it could have used some editing to make it 25% shorter - but it's a very good commentary, and compares "Get Out" with "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Stepford Wives," both of which are really good, strong vehicles to put alongside the film.

*** SPOILERS FOLLOW *** Do Not Watch until you've seen "Get Out." Trust me on this - don't watch this until you've seen the movie.

And damned-well make sure that you see the movie, because it's fantastic.