Mid-Century Modern Furniture

Choirgirl21

Any feedback on local MCM stores? I've been following some non-local stores on FB and have found some good pieces at my local ReStore, but I'd like to make a day of visiting some shops that specialize in good quality MCM furniture. I've googled, but personal feedback is always ideal. I hope I have this in the right spot. Thanks!

Try Daniel Donnelly in Alexandria - he *might* remember me, but it has been awhile.

It sounds like you're familiar with mid-century modern, so you know this stuff isn't inexpensive, but the selection here is terrific, and he does repairs as well - I've only met Daniel two or three times, but it has always seemed to me that he really knows what he's doing, and just browsing the showroom is fascinating.

On 8/30/2017 at 10:29 AM, DonRocks said:

Try Daniel Donnelly in Alexandria - he *might* remember me, but it has been awhile.

It sounds like you're familiar with mid-century modern, so you know this stuff isn't inexpensive, but the selection here is terrific, and he does repairs as well - I've only met Daniel two or three times, but it has always seemed to me that he really knows what he's doing, and just browsing the showroom is fascinating.

Oh my, the D-shaped sofa, gorgeous.

On 8/30/2017 at 0:01 PM, ALB said:

I adore Peg Leg VIntage in College Park. Lots of MCM. You can friend them on facebook to get an idea of the inventory. If funds were unlimited, my house would be entirely furnished from here. http://peglegvintage.com/

Thank you. This is close to my office so I can check this place out on a week day. I can see adding many visits into my rotation in addition to my Restore trips. I see a set of walnut side tables I'm already in love with. :)

Thank you both!

All good reccs.  Donnelly's pieces will be in the finest condition, and priced to match.  Modern Mobler is a personal favorite; the Georgia Ave location is larger, but I think they tend to put their most interesting wares out in the Kensington showroom, so you really do need to visit both.  Peg Leg has to do a lot with a little space, and I think their acquisition style is more eclectic, but they also have a bunch of MCM tchotchkes that the other two don't carry at all.

FWIW, should you find yourself in Atlanta GA, pay a visit to RetroPassion21.  The owner buys MCM in Europe and ships containers over a few times a year.  And while you won't find too many of the famous Danish makers that everyone else carries, she favors German and English MCM makers you probably won't find elsewhere.  And other anonymous items that fit the bill.  We loaded up on a couple of teak floor lamps very cheaply; they needed a bit of rewiring and refinishing but look great now.

Sadly, Mid Century Salvage in Charlotte NC is apparently no more.