Michelangelo Ristorante and Caffe, Chef Salvatore Cortara's Italian with House-Made Gnocchi on Columbus Avenue in North Beach

Nothing makes me angrier than when I am at a restaurant that clearly doesn't care.

$136 for POOR Italian food tonight, for four people:

hard bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar;
bland insalata caprese with radicchio and other lettuces (no seasoning whatsoever - even Frank's recipe has salt);
mediocre chicken parmigiana (heavy breaded chicken, bland sauce);
bland, underseasoned flank steak cooked with rosemary and vinegar, served with bland fried potatoes and steamed broccoli, and watery balsamic vinegar-tinged gravy;
gummy asparagus and mushroom risotto.

I was dreading the food once the waiter served the bread. The "loaf" we received was hard as a rock. I had to soak the pieces I broke off in oil and vinegar to render it edible.

The waiter handed us a plate of cookies and gummy bears along with the check.

The wines were just "ok". We skipped dessert, paid the bill and went to Stella's for mascarpone-filled sponge cake.

We went there so you don't have to. I wish I had brought my camera to document everything.

Michaelangelo Ristorante and Caffe
579 Columbus Avenue (Union Street)
North Beach

ps. if it was up to me, I'd have gone elsewhere but that's what happens when you're with friends and they spend 15 minutes deciding on where to go. it's a behavior I've noticed is common in San Francisco. the New Yorker in me just wants to scream.

• Sad 1