FIFA World Cup, the Ultimate Quadrennial Soccer Tournament - 2018 Host Nation Russia: Jun 14 - Jul 15, 2018

Tweaked

Never too early to start discussing the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia

So far three teams have qualified (as of 8/30/2017):  Host Russia, Brazil and Iran, leaving 29 spots up for grabs. 

This international break marks two crucial qualifiers for the United States, with games against Costa Rica (Home Friday, Sept. 1) and Honduras (Away Tuesday, Sept. 5).  Two wins and the US will be well on its way to Russia, anything else and they will be looking for points in October, against Panama and Trinidad & Tobago.

The rest of the world is in various stages of qualifying:

UEFA (Europe)

CONCACAF (North America, Central America, Caribbean)

CONMEBOL (South America)

AFC (Asia)

CAF (Africa)

OFC (Oceania)

33 minutes ago, Tweaked said:

USA 0-2 CRC.  And now the Yanks go down to Honduras looking for points.  

I saw a good piece of that match. I watch so infrequently now, I doubt how discerning I am. Regardless I thought Costa Rica more talented and better organized, played smarter, better work as a team.  

On the first goal shouldn't the US defender sort of at midfield (while the attacker was moving to the wing) have retreated toward the goal to add more goal defense?  That defender was left worthless.

The US central defenders had a terrible match.  On the first goal they didn't provide proper coverage in the middle and were easily split on the CR through ball. On the secong goal Geoff Cameron passed it directly to a CR player.

the US attack had several good opportunities in both halves, but lacked the final pass to score.  

CR showed up to play and the US were flatfooted for much of the night.

4 hours ago, Tweaked said:

The US central defenders had a terrible match.  On the first goal they didn't provide proper coverage in the middle and were easily split on the CR through ball. On the secong goal Geoff Cameron passed it directly to a CR player.

the US attack had several good opportunities in both halves, but lacked the final pass to score.  

CR showed up to play and the US were flatfooted for much of the night.

Tx.  

Early on I started watching this game much more closely than I'd watched in recent times. (Okay years of very sporadic watching). I realized I'm not  that attuned to details than when I was far closer to the sport.  Tx for the commentary.

What grabbed my attention early on was a goal opportunity for the US.  2 on 2.  Possibly a perfect or far more precise pass from the wing to the center could have led to a strong shot.  Pass was off. No shot.  The thought flew through my brain and the words spilled out... "I could have made that pass".  (meaning I was just as capable of delivering a less than perfect pass)

Lol.  But it did get me to watch more closely.  I can see that you and the other commentators on soccer here have a far better feel for the game now than do I. 

Saw that through pass that led to the first goal. Our defense wasn't great on it but the pass was right on target.

I think I should start watching Euro soccer for the game at its highest levels. Any suggestions as to where to go?

Yep, the US had several opportunities in the first half where a better pass would have created a scoring opportunity.  

NBC has the rights to the English Premiere League, many games on their NBCSports cable channel, which any bar will have.

other European Leagues are on BeIn Sports, which is trickier to find, you'll probably need to go to a sports bar for that.

later this month Champions League starts up, which is a season long tournament featuring the top euro clubs.  FOX Sports 1 & 2 will broadcast the bigger games on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons.

if you have a cable package many games are streamed these days as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Yep, the US had several opportunities in the first half where a better pass would have created a scoring opportunity.  

NBC has the rights to the English Premiere League, many games on their NBCSports cable channel, which any bar will have.

other European Leagues are on BeIn Sports, which is trickier to find, you'll probably need to go to a sports bar for that.

later this month Champions League starts up, which is a season long tournament featuring the top euro clubs.  FOX Sports 1 & 2 will broadcast the bigger games on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons.

if you have a cable package many games are streamed these days as well.

You can also find games from Germany's Bundesliga on Fox Sports1 and 2.  Occasionally a game will appear on the main Fox network.

Well, well, well.  Not much was cleared up over this international break, especially for the USA. 

A 0-2 defeat to Costa Rica at home and a not very convincing 1-1 tie against Honduras leaves the US in 4th place in the qualification group, but with the easiest road to Russia.

The US will next play Panama (currently 3rd place) at home (Oct. 6) and finish qualification away at Trinidad & Tobago (Oct 10, T&T are all but eliminated).

However, Honduras have to play away against Costa Rica (currently 2nd) and then home against Mexico (already qualified)

Panama have to play away to the US and then home against Costa Rica. 

For the US, win both games and they qualify...sounds easy right?

Around the world:  Russia (hosts), Belgium, Brazil, Iran, Japan, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, South Korea have all secured their tickets to Russia. 

Well that didn't go well.  Everything that had to go wrong went wrong.

USA loses to T&T.  Panama and Honduras both win against the top two teams in the group.  And the US crashes out.

Qualified nations: Russia (hosts), Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Egypt, England, France, Germany, Honduras, Iceland, Iran, Japan, Mexico, Nigeria, Panama, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, South Korea, Spain, Uruguay.

Peru will play New Zealand in a home/away playoff series

Honduras will play Australia in a home/away playoff series

Africa concludes qualifiers in Nov. with three spots up for grabs. 

Four European spots still to be claimed in a home/away playoff series.  

20 minutes ago, Tweaked said:

Well that didn't go well.  Everything that had to go wrong went wrong.

USA loses to T&T.  Panama and Honduras both win against the top two teams in the group.  And the US crashes out.

In a group where 2/3 of the teams have an opportunity to advance.  How is it that only 1/3 of the teams in European groups has an opportunity to advance and 1/2 of the teams in Conmebol has an opportunity to advance?  I'm pretty sure Concacaf teams aren't stronger than Conmebol teams.

30 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

In a group where 2/3 of the teams have an opportunity to advance.  How is it that only 1/3 of the teams in European groups has an opportunity to advance and 1/2 of the teams in Conmebol has an opportunity to advance?  I'm pretty sure Concacaf teams aren't stronger than Conmebol teams.

Who knows, it's all wrapped up in FIFA politics. 

For its relatively mediocre teams, CONCACAF is a surprisingly powerful confederation.  When many of these decisions were made you had two powerful CONCACAF officials in the upper echelons of FIFA, Jack Warner and Chuck Blazer, who were both ousted due to corruption.  It also has a large membership of 41 member nations, CONMEBOL has 10.  Each of those little Caribbean islands gets a vote.  And then you have the weight of the US market:  money, TV broadcast rights, corporate sponsorships, ticket sales (for the past several WCs the US has had one of the top traveling fan bases).  That said UEFA does have 13 spots and CONMEBOL 4.5 (which is more like 5, we'll see if New Zealand can beat Peru).  

• Like 1

After Scotland failed to qualify, their Manager said:

"Genetically we are behind," Strachan said. "In the last campaign, we were the second smallest, apart from Spain."

"We had to pick a team to combat the height and strength at set-plays. Genetically we have to work at things, maybe we get big women and men together and see what we can do.

"But it is a problem for us because we have to fight harder for every ball and jump higher than anyone else.

"Nobody can tell me their technique, apart from one player, is better than any of ours. But physically we have a problem. We seem to be able to battle it and get through just with sheer determination and skill and work-rate. And that takes a lot out of you."

I think the U.S. team is genetically challenged too.  They must have the smallest hearts.

• Like 1

I saw pieces of different games.  They simply didn't look that talented to me.  The US is obviously levels below the talent peaks in other nations. 

Now that comment from the manager of the Scottish team is absurd.  Somehow it ignores all the Messi's of the game over the decades.  That guy needs a different excuse.

UEFA (Europe) Play-off draw has been announced.  Leg 1 will be played Nov. 9-11, Leg 2 Nov. 12-14.  These games are pretty much a toss up. Croatia has the easiest route against the weakest team in the playoff, Greece.  Sweden is without The Zlatan, so that hurts them and now they need to beat a usually tough Italy, so I would expect Italy to advance out of that series.   Would be nice to see both Irelands advance.   

Northern Ireland vs. Switzerland

Croatia vs. Greece

Denmark vs. Republic of Ireland

Sweden vs. Italy

The World Cup draw is in:

GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia

GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco

GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia

GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria

GROUP E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

GROUP A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia

GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco

GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia

GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria

GROUP E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan

Bold = Should go thru

Underline = has a shot a going thru

I usually cheer the Brazilians on as they play the most beautiful soccer but Neymar's move to PSG and his subsequent antics at PSG has kind of soured me on him.  Argentina still has a shot since their best players are all still in their prime.  So let's go La Albiceleste - win one for Messi and cement his legacy as the best soccer player ever.

Spain sacks its coach 2 days prior to the start of World Cup, per ESPN.  Julen Lopetegui, the Spanish national team coach, announced that he's going to manage Real Madrid yesterday.  This immediately created a conflict of interest as the Spanish teams has players from several La Liga teams.  In addition, Spain will be playing against other Real Madrid players.  

5 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Today the madness begins:. 11am Host Russia v Saudi Arabia.  

I'm going with the Saudi upset. 

They're the two worst teams in the tournament (Saudi @ 67 and Russia @ 70).  You're actually picking the favorite!  I have Russia getting the upset!

I'm in Daniel's bracket.  Let's see more people join for the unofficial bragging contest!

In other news, Antoine Griezemann's going to have a TV special just to announce his decision whether to stay at Atletico Madrid or join Barca - a la LeBron.  I didn't know Antoine's got a head the size of LeBron's.  

Is Griezemann's taking the L-dance celebration basically saying the other team are losers?

On 6/15/2018 at 1:21 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

You should watch the Spain v. Portugal game at 2.  Spain plays a possession style game while Portugal will defend and counter with Ronaldo.  You'll get a sense why possession style is more beautiful to watch, but does not guarantee a win.  Spain lacks a deadly striker but they will control the ball.  Portugal may park the bus but Ronaldo will break out and have shots.

Great description above.  I only saw the 2nd half but the 2nd half play was dominated by the white (Spain).  2 neat goals.  Ronaldo’s penalty kick goal left me speechless at its spin and power.  

Ronaldo the super star and his sidekicks vs a very well developed system with discipline and talent.

The 2 second half Spanish goals were very cool.   A play off a penalty kick and that goal off the post was a great kick.  He caught that kick in the air perfectly and added spin.  Btw  there is an increasing difficulty of degree w/ a kick like that.  The higher it is off the turf the more difficult to execute such a beautiful shot.  He caught that kick only a few inches above the turf.  Two inches higher and the chance of a miskick increases exponentially.  It was a beauty.

I'm not sure there are "great" classic games that are available for free view.  Getting a rundown similar to what Eric described above to frame the game and then just watch.

In Group A, Russia and Uruguay have advanced to the second round.  All that is left to be decided is which team will top the group when they play against each other on June 25.  A win or a tie and the hosts will win the group.  Egypt and Saudi Arabia will face each other in their final group match, both have been eliminated.

In Group B, we bid farewell to Morocco.  Still lots to play for between Portugal (4 points), Spain (4 points), and Iran (3 points).

Portugal v. Iran & Spain v. Morocco 2 pm June 25.

On 6/20/2018 at 1:35 PM, Tweaked said:

In Group A, Russia and Uruguay have advanced to the second round.  All that is left to be decided is which team will top the group when they play against each other on June 25.  A win or a tie and the hosts will win the group.  Egypt and Saudi Arabia will face each other in their final group match, both have been eliminated.

In Group B, we bid farewell to Morocco.  Still lots to play for between Portugal (4 points), Spain (4 points), and Iran (3 points).

Portugal v. Iran & Spain v. Morocco 2 pm June 25.

Group B is crazy - right now Spain is in first place in the group over Portugal because of LESS YELLOW CARDS. If they have identical results on the 25th, that will be the tiebreaker. Insane.

Argentina vs. Croatia.  Argentina’s loaded with attackers, including the world’s best player and the GOAT Lionel Messi.  He is the best dribbler, able to slalom through multiple defenders and then slot a shot thru a keeper’s legs.  Croatia has an awesome midfield, able to thread passes and defend.  Both teams will try to retain possession but I suspect Croatia will play counter more in this game.

16 hours ago, DaveO said:

Are there teams with unique or radically different styles?  If so who?

There are only a handful of teams in the world who will play their style regardless of opponent.  Generally speaking that will be your top teams in the world. 

For example, Spain will always play ball control, quick short passes, if they lose the ball, they immediately try to win it back.  They will try to pass you to death, and they will play that style against anyone.  It even has a name: tiki taka (Barcelona is the best example of tiki taka)

Italian soccer is infamous for its lock down defense called catenaccio (door-bolt).  Done well, its a highly coordinated dance of defenders, done poorly and you end up with a lot of 1-0 games.   

Historically, England is known for playing a direct, physical style.  Win 50/50 balls, direct passes to forwards who run on to the ball and score.  At its best, it makes for fun fast paced soccer, and is the style many English Premiere League teams utilize.  On the other hand, it can make for many long balls passed out of the back which are cut off by defenders, and becomes one dimensional and boring.   

But most teams in the world will adjust depending upon their opponents.  For example, if playing a better opponent, many teams will sit back and absorb pressure and hope for a quick counter.  See Mexico's win over Germany in this WC.  Mexico seceded possession for long stretches of the game, but with quick attackers, they tried to win the ball in midfield and launch counter attacks against slower German defenders.  At its worst, it's simply parking the bus (a frequently criticism of Jose Mourinho, the current manager of Manchester United).

Gaining traction is a high pressing attacking style, nicknamed Heavy Metal Football.  Pin your opponent back, win the ball in their half, and score goals and then score even more goals.  This of course leaves a team open to quick counter attacks.  Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool are probably the best example of this current style.  

Volumes have been written about soccer tactics...you can quickly get into the weeds!

In Group C action, pre-tournament favorites France punch their ticket to the next round, although they need to pick up their game if they hope to do much in the knock out stage.  A sad farewell to the plucky Peruvians, who are making their first WC appearance in 32 years!  A big win out of the Socceroos of Australia next week could very well see them through, while Denmark will be looking for a point.  We'll find out on June 26. 

France v. Demark

Australia v. Peru

June 26 at 10am.

3 hours ago, Tweaked said:

Gaining traction is a high pressing attacking style, nicknamed Heavy Metal Football.  Pin your opponent back, win the ball in their half, and score goals and then score even more goals.  This of course leaves a team open to quick counter attacks.  Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool are probably the best example of this current style.  

Gegenpressing FTW!  Sometimes I wish MLS teams would employ this more -- it seems more compatible with the greater athleticism and lack of skill (relative to top European domestic clubs) in the league.

For current followers of the game, I only watched the first half of Croatia/Argentina.  At that it was spotty watching while also conversing with others.  What I did sense though was that by hook or by crook, Messi wasn't getting the ball.  Since I couldn't follow closely, I'm not sure of this, but either Messi wasn't going to the ball well, Argentina wasn't getting him the ball well, and Croatia was playing him extremely well, not giving him space to receive the ball or some of all of the above.  I couldn't get a handle on which of those elements seemed to be dominant.

In any case one of the two current greatests of the great seemed to be missing on this big moment.

7 hours ago, Tweaked said:

In Group C action, pre-tournament favorites France punch their ticket to the next round, although they need to pick up their game if they hope to do much in the knock out stage.  A sad farewell to the plucky Peruvians, who are making their first WC appearance in 32 years!  A big win out of the Socceroos of Australia next week could very well see them through, while Denmark will be looking for a point.  We'll find out on June 26. 

France v. Demark

Australia v. Peru

June 26 at 10am. 

I figured out the scenarios for Argentina, Nigeria, and Iceland in Group D based on Argentina's 3-0 loss today and speculating on the result of tomorrow's Iceland-Nigeria match.  Lots of them involve tiebreaks.  The final Group D matches will be June 26 at 2 p.m., with Argentina vs. Nigeria and Iceland vs. Croatia.

Edited by lovehockey
Because there won't be any World Cup on July 26

In Group D action today:  The midnight sun is starting to set on our Viking friends, now desperately needing a win against group leaders Croatia.  Nigeria have to like their chances against a wounded and in turmoil Argentina.  Croatia will advance, but Nigeria, Argentina, and Iceland all have routes to the second round.

Introducing a box-to-box Leon Goretzka will lead to success, while Gundogan may not.  Unfortunately (a) Jogi is too conservative for such a decision, and (b) Kroos and occasionally Ozil will have to perform more defensive duties which is far from certainty.

in Group E action yesterday, both Brazil and Switzerland rally late to claim three points.  Our Tico neighbors to the South are elminated.  The Swiss play Costa Rica in the third game and have to fancy their chances to advance.  Can Serbia take down Brazil?  We find out on June 27.

10 minutes ago, Sasha K said:

It's halftime.  It is a rare occasion when one must quote one's own post.

Well, *I* personally think that, even though I'm not Rudiger's biggest fan at all, I like the thought of using him as a defensive LB (Howedes 2014-style) to counter-balance Kimmich's forward runs and help deal with their defensive transition issues - even if that means playing Ginter or Sule today.

And if you think that's original thought, I have some swampland in Florida to sell you. ;)

5 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Well, *I* personally think that, even though I'm not Rudiger's biggest fan at all, I like the thought of using him as a defensive LB (Howedes 2014-style) to counter-balance Kimmich's forward runs and help deal with their defensive transition issues - even if that means playing Ginter or Sule today.

And if you think that's original thought, I have some swampland in Florida to sell you. ;)

Hah, not only did they do this with Howedes in 2014, but also with Boateng in 2010 if I recall correctly.

Wow Group F!  Germany scores at the death to beat Sweden. All teams are alive, no team is safe.  

Some reports say Germany doesn't hold their fate in their own hands, but this is not true: they are through if they win by 2 goals next week, regardless.  They may still finish second in the group through (and probably will).