Portner Brewhouse, Owned and Operated by Two Great-Great Granddaughters of Robert Portner (1837-1906) - Closed

DonRocks

It is truly amazing how much the area of S. Van Dorn Street, S. Pickett Street, and Edsall Road - all part of Alexandria near the Van Dorn Street Metro station - has been built up in the past few years - I had absolutely no idea a Red Lobster had opened up on S. Van Dorn Street, which shows just how long it has been since I've been here.

In one of the self-contained complexes rests the Portner Brewhouse, opened by the descendents of Robert Portner.

Having tried three different beers here, I wish I could say that the beer lived up to the romance, but both the atmosphere - which is cold and corporate-feeling (this brewery was obviously very well-funded) - and more importantly, the beers themselves, looked and tasted full-on industrial, even though the fermentation tanks are easily seen through windows behind the bar.

I wanted to try the house staples and standards, so my friend and I had the following (we arrived during Social Hour, so prices were a dollar off):

Hoffbrau Pilsner (20-ounce draft, $5) - despite it's 5.9% ABV, this was a glass of generic nothingness.

Vienna Cabinet Lager (16-ounce draft, $4) - the word "copper" in the menu description caught my eye, as this is often a sign of an Amber Ale, a Scotch Ale, or a Red Ale - at 5% ABV, this was marginally my favorite beer of the three, (remember, my palate has a preference for malt over most hops), but I wouldn't return just for this.

My friend didn't care for either beer, so I was "forced" to drink the above two - however, the words "orange peel" and "coriander" intrigued her enough to try this:

Jaxson's Wheat (16-ounce draft, $4.25) - cloudy, and with more citrus and resin than the first two beers, but still with a palate presence of Anywheat from the grocery store.

The problem with all three beers is that there was very little nose, virtually no depth, and a clipped finish - this was a forgettable experience in a forgettable atmosphere that felt like something you'd find inside a shopping mall. If I lived here, then maybe, but I just can't see making an effort, and I'm really sorry to say this, too, as this is the type of place I pull for.

11 minutes ago, Biscuit Girl said:

The beer is OK but I found the parking to be a pain and the food a bit overpriced.  Sadly, I don't feel the need to put it in my rotation of pubs and restaurants.

Actually, the parking was surprisingly plentiful - but, you have to enter from the courtyard side. (I should add that we went before dinner hour, so I don't know how crowded the spaces get.)

I was told that the pretzel rolls for the bratwurst sandwich (which I didn't try) are from Lyon Bakery, which is a positive.

(BTW, the Smashburger next door to it has closed - I'm not sure when it did.)

Incidentally, I wish I could recommend the German Auto Group of Alexandria for Mercedes-Benz repair, but ... never again. (If anyone has any questions, they can write me for details.)

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

It is truly amazing how much the area of S. Van Dorn Street, S. Pickett Street, and Edsall Road - all part of Alexandria near the Van Dorn Street Metro station - has been built up in the past few years - I had absolutely no idea a Red Lobster had opened up on S. Van Dorn Street, which shows just how long it has been since I've been here.

That Red Lobster has been there since I moved here in 1998!  Most of the vertical growth you are seeing has been in the past 5 or so years.

3 hours ago, iolaire said:

That Red Lobster has been there since I moved here in 1998!  Most of the vertical growth you are seeing has been in the past 5 or so years.

Has it really? I could have sworn it was on that desolate stretch of Stevenson Avenue, across Route 236 from Landmark Mall. It says something that I've been to just about every restaurant there (including the long-lost Burger Delite and the since-replaced Sakulthai (*)), and never once noticed Red Lobster was there.

(*) Oops! Read the first post in the Sakulthai thread. <_<

17 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Has it really? I could have sworn it was on that desolate stretch of Stevenson Avenue, across Route 236 from Landmark Mall. It says something that I've been to just about every restaurant there (including the long-lost Burger Delite and the since-replaced Sakulthai (*)), and never once noticed Red Lobster was there.

(*) Oops! Read the first post in the Sakulthai thread. <_<

I think you are thinking of the Bennigan's around the location of the Circuit City that is now the Big Lots?

Nice quote from your self on Sakulthai. 

• Thanks 1

Agree that the beer was not up to par.

Just received this email message:

We are honored to have been a part of your community and your history. 

When we opened Portner Brewhouse in March of last year, we sought to give a piece of Alexandria’s history a home in the West End and provide a community gathering place to relax and enjoy the company of friends and family. While this chapter in Portner brewing history may seem short-lived, it will remain with us for the entirety of our lives.

In realizing the changes to the surrounding landscape, we pushed for appropriate changes to our lease agreement, which were temporarily provided by the landlord. However, permanent change could not be achieved. We did everything in our power to sustain the company it for as long as possible, which is why we are sharing the conclusion to this chapter with you today. 

Whatever the future holds, keep us in your thoughts, drink really great beer and hold family dear.

Prost!

Catherine, Margaret, and the entire Portner Brewhouse Team

• Sad 1