C&O Canal Mule-Pulled Boat Rides (1983-2011) - Reopening in 2019 or 2020

DonRocks

I can't confirm the Great Falls departure point, but I can confirm that the Georgetown section of the canal is closed for restoration.The National Park Service started the project last fall. They've removed "The Georgetown," the old canal boat between Thomas Jefferson and 31st Street and will replace it with one in better condition. I would love it if they could fix the towpath so sinkholes don't appear.

1 minute ago, Xochitl10 said:

I can't confirm the Great Falls departure point, but I can confirm that the Georgetown section of the canal is closed for restoration.The National Park Service started the project last fall. They've removed "The Georgetown," the old canal boat between Thomas Jefferson and 31st Street and will replace it with one in better condition. I would love it if they could fix the towpath so sinkholes don't appear.

I know absolutely nothing about sinkholes, but have fond memories of taking Matt (my son) on the Georgetown ride which left from about mile-point zero on the C&O Canal (I remember this, because the Key Bridge is mile-point 1).

I have a memory of my grandparents taking me when I was very small.  I am pretty sure it was in Georgetown, but it was certainly a long time ago.  I was at Great Falls over the weekend and saw a boat in the canal, but not giving rides.  I also didn't ask about rides.  My almost 7 year old did complete the Billy Goat Trail, and she didn't complain, and actually said she wants to do it again.

On 9/10/2017 at 12:47 AM, Xochitl10 said:

When will the restoration be complete?