The Equifax Data Breach - What Should You Do?

DonRocks

For good coverage on the breach and suggestions on how to product yourself I recommend Krebs On Security.  He is an internet security writer (was with WaPo at some point) who pisses off the type of people that create breaches by writing about who they are and the like.  Because of that he gets doxed (including having the swat team at his home a few times) and generally harassed online so he speaks as someone with experience.

His suggestions are here: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/the-equifax-breach-what-you-should-know/

(Primarily  his recommendation is to freeze your credit including at Innovis which NPR doesn't mention.  Innovis processes a lot of the store credit checks).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iolaire said:

For good coverage on the breach and suggestions on how to product yourself I recommend Krebs On Security.  He is an internet security writer (was with WaPo at some point) who pisses off the type of people that create breaches by writing about who they are and the like.  Because of that he gets doxed (including having the swat team at his home a few times) and generally harassed online so he speaks as someone with experience.

His suggestions are here: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/the-equifax-breach-what-you-should-know/

(Primarily  his recommendation is to freeze your credit including at Innovis which NPR doesn't mention.  Innovis processes a lot of the store credit checks).

1 hour ago, mr food said:

Krebs is must reading and frequently disturbing but better to know than not these days.

I agree: Krebs is the better of the two articles.