Wow, I'm almost certain I've seen the ending of "Silver Linings Playbook" before, but I'm also certain that I've never seen the entire film.

Despite its spicy language, this is a somewhat classic, old-fashioned, rom-com - chock full of star power, and Jennifer Lawrence's vehicle for her first Best Actress Oscar

It's important to me that I see films "like this," but not for the reasons you may think: Although I'd heard the name "Jennifer Lawrence" a zillion times before, I didn't have the faintest idea who she was (I wouldn't have even been sure if she was a singer or an actress), and watching movies like this are the only way I can keep up with popular culture.

The casting of this film was very star-heavy and strong, and there really wasn't a weakness in the entire ensemble that I can think of. That said, despite its "mental illness" twist, "Silver Linings Playbook" is a formulaic rom-com, and absent the language and some of the subject matter, could have been made with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell (although you'd need to substitute "rapid-fire dialogue" for "subtle facial expressions").

I found the film charming, if perhaps twenty minutes too long, and everyone gets to walk out of the theater happy and carefree. Given that this is an almost stereotypical rom-com, what more could you ask for? (Other than, of course, eight Academy Award nominations including the Big Five.)

Peter Travers said this film was "crazy good"; I contend that while it's well-made, slick entertainment, it's "crazy for-the-masses."

I think you and I feel the same way about this film. I mostly enjoyed it, but I was kind of baffled by all the Oscar attention (with the usual caveat that the Oscars are a crock). I seem to remember thinking it was formulaic (as you wrote) and at times cheesy.

I haven't seen it (it's on my list!), but Jennifer Lawrence is supposed to be amazing in "Winter's Bone." That was the first I'd ever heard of her. A very different movie and a very different role from "Silver Linings Playbook."

This is one of my favorite films. Yes, it is a rom com, and yes, it was made for the masses. But I love a good rom com: "When Harry Met Sally," "Roman Holiday," "Amelie,"  and "500 Days of Summer" are some outstanding examples that immediately come to my mind.

Some of my least favorite films are rom coms as well. "Notting Hill" and "Four Weddings and a Funeral" were close to unwatchable for me.

The acting in "Silver Linings Playbook" is excellent, and there is wonderful chemistry between the leads. As flawed as Tiffany and Pat may be, I can't help but root for them and their relationship. Perhaps the ballroom dancing storyline is unnecessary, but as someone who wants to come back as a ballroom dancer in my next life, I found that part of the story fun. ;)

• Like 1

I liked the book but have never seen the movie. Seeing it described as a "rom com" has me wondering what on earth they did when adapting this.  Sometimes a good book can also be a good movie even if it's radically different in the translation; at times that's even necessary (see: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest).  Not sure if this is going on my ever-growing "to watch" list or not.

1 hour ago, Pat said:

I liked the book but have never seen the movie. Seeing it described as a "rom com" has me wondering what on earth they did when adapting this.  Sometimes a good book can also be a good movie even if it's radically different in the translation; at times that's even necessary (see: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest).  Not sure if this is going on my ever-growing "to watch" list or not.

I didn't know the film was based on a book. I just read a discussion about it on Goodreads, and most of the comments say the book and the movie are quite different.