IlluminAsia: A Festival of Asian Art, Food, and Cultures. October 14-15, 2017. Grand Reopening of the Freer Sackler Museum.

Tweaked

IlluminAsia: A Festival of Asian Art, Food, and Cultures

Saturday, October 14, 5 pm–12 am
Sunday, October 15, 11 am–5 pm

Freer|Sackler, National Mall, and Haupt Garden | Free and open to the public

Join us for a festival of Asian art, food, and cultures to celebrate the grand reopening of the Freer|Sackler. The IlluminAsia festival will transform the museums’ grounds with an Asian food market, interactive cooking and art demonstrations, live music by members of the Silkroad Ensemble, and creations by local and international artists. Inside, visitors can experience the reimagined galleries and innovative exhibitions, as well as performances, conversations, and other immersive activities.

IlluminAsia kicks off on Saturday, October 14, with a night market featuring food and art and a stunning animated projection on the Freer Gallery façade. On Sunday, October 15, the food market will continue alongside cultural programming for all ages throughout the museums and outdoor gardens.

IlluminAsia is copresented with the Smithsonian Folklife Festival.

I went there.

Had Chinese Bacon and Cauliflower with Black Beans from Tiger Fork.  The mustard greens under the "bacon" were really salty.  And I've never had cauliflower with black beans before.  Nothing was bad but nothing was all that good.

Ashak from Lapis.  I forgot veggies were inside ( very bitter with no other balancing flavor).  I threw this dish away after one bite.

Dried Fried Noodles from Queen Ammanisa.  I didn't realize the noodles would be fairly spicy.  I was not amazed with the texture of the noodles - they were under tin foil so the steaming probably affected the texture.

Vietnamese Salad from Himatsu.  They it was a little spicy, but it was definitely Thai spicy based on the Bangkok Golden scale.  Tasty cabbage salad but it wrecked my stomach later.