An Afternoon with Dario Cecchini - Legendary Italian Butcher at the Pullo Center in York, Jan 14, 2018, 1:30 PM

Meet a Legendary Butcher

I literally squealed like a Berkshire pig when I read this in my Instagram feed. Tickets are an incredible value starting at $27, and for $52 you can meet the infamous butcher. Caputo Brothers Creamery really nailed it. They are hosting the event. Mark your calendars for Jan 14th. This is a must for any gourmand. Hope to see you there! You know I got my ticket!! 

Food groupie, 

kat

• Like 1

Hi Kat, don't want to make you or anyone else jealous, but my brother and his family are good friends with Dario and my nephew has spent a couple of weeks doing apprenticeships with Dario in Italy. And check this out: Last year we were having brunch at Sadelle's in NYC when who should walk in but Dario (wearing his signature vest) and his family and friends. Hugs were exchanged and cheeks kissed even though Dario didn't know most of us from Adam. Great guy! This should be an awesome event!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Hi Kat, don't want to make you or anyone else jealous, but my brother and his family are good friends with Dario and my nephew has spent a couple of weeks doing apprenticeships with Dario in Italy. And check this out: Last year we were having brunch at Sadelle's in NYC when who should walk in but Dario (wearing his signature vest) and his family and friends. Hugs were exchanged and cheeks kissed even though Dario didn't know most of us from Adam. Great guy! This should be an awesome event!

Not envious at all! I love the anecdote. To say I am excited about this, is a gross understatement. Caputo’s Creamery has cultivated a relationship with Dario over the last few years for this to happen. Persistence pays off, and I shall reap the reward in meating him, and witnessing his magic! 

Tuscany by ways of York, Pa,

kat

• Like 1

Rynn Caputo of Caputo Creamery, leading Dario to the Luca in Lancaster, Pa. An extraordinary pre game prior to his presentation on Sunday at the Pullo Center. Luca is the sister outpost to Maison that I wrote about here. I imagine the feeling Taylor, the owner of Luca/Maison, is having, can be adequately described as meeting your ultimate mentor.  Sunday is gonna rock!! 

kat

BBFBEFA8-1450-4762-A2F9-60578983ADFE.jpeg.ca76084ef5e300f88a9e34bca81b66bc.jpeg 

93794E54-48E1-4188-9BCD-E49DB371DB59.jpeg

On 1/13/2018 at 3:17 PM, kitkatpaddywak said:

Rynn Caputo of Caputo Creamery, leading Dario to the Luca in Lancaster, Pa. An extraordinary pre game prior to his presentation on Sunday at the Pullo Center. Luca is the sister outpost to Maison that I wrote about here. I imagine the feeling Taylor, the owner of Luca/Maison, is having, can be adequately described as meeting your ultimate mentor.  Sunday is gonna rock!! 

kat

Let us know how it was, Kat - it sounds like a terrific experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Let us know how it was, Kat - it sounds like a terrific experience.

I want to gather my words to adequately describe what I saw on Sunday. I took several pictures, as well as videos of Dario’s story telling . I was moved to tears while watching a legend talk about his humble beginnings, and love for being a butcher. The advantage of sitting front row to watch a Maestro , was the aroma , along with watching his every expression in real life. I met a legend on Sunday, and it  surpassed my expectation. Dario is the real deal. 

I’ll have the post up shortly.

Not your salt bae,

kat

Accidenti! Vieni! Pronto! Ora!”—Come! Quickly! Now!

This is what came to mind as soon as I learned that the famed butcher of Panzano was coming to our little town of York, Pa. I had learned of this legendary man citing verses of Dante's  Inferno, and play various tracks from AC/DC in his butcher shop while telling stories of his childhood, as well as his love for what he does.  My tickets were purchased in Oct, and the event was to happen in January. I am forever grateful I bought tickets.  A preface to what I am about to describe as the most entertaining,  sentimental Sunday afternoon deserves a reading of  Carnal Knowledge written by Bill Buford. 

Dario Cecchini needs very little introduction. I have both watched loads of culinary programming as well as  read  numerous  publications about culinary legends . Meeting a legend brings your appreciation of said legend to a whole new level. There are often times where you get your hopes up, and are let down on the account the legend may be a total jackass. This was not the case. 

The wife and husband team of Caputo Creamery, along with their adorable sons, came out on stage to introduce the famed butcher. They also expressed awe, and gratitude to the butcher, for coming to our little town of York. Back when the event was announced, there were skeptics that thought the event was not real. That it was going to feature footage, and clips from the visits to Panzano.  I followed up  by saying, it was real. 100 % Dario Cecchini in the flesh. 

Let the Meat opera commence...

The lights were dimmed , and a flood of blood red lights drape the stage. Two halves of a hog descended onto the stage,  as The Butcher walked out  to the tune of Hells Bells. With out so much a peep, he dives right into breaking down the pig.  The light brightens after a few cuts, and the Butcher makes his introduction. He speaks in the language of his provenance. Frankly, I would have enjoyed every word, even though I do  not speak a lick of Italian.  He apologizes for his lack of English, and gives introduction to his beautiful wife, who will interpret. 

The next two hours were filled with stories about how he became a butcher, to the  first taste of bistec on his 18th Birthday, to his love for his Nonna in creating goodness from trotters of the pig.  What I watched blew my mind. Watching him break down a pig like a Maestro conducting a symphony. There was care , and intent in each cut he made into the animal. He made a butter out of lard that I wanted to hop on stage with sour dough in hand, to try.  With other cuts, he made what I think was a porchetta. There were no fancy ingredients. All he had at hand were garlic, pepper, bee pollen,branches of rosemary, and Profumo di Chianti. The aroma of the salt  was intoxicating. It is a finely ground Tuscan sea salt infused with lavender and rosemary.  The herbs grow abundantly on the hillside of Chianti, and by adding it to the meat, it transports us to the region. The smell was delicious.

The most moving segment of the afternoon was near the end of his presentation. As he professes his thanks to a crowd of complete strangers, an intimate moment was captured. He thanked his wife. For without her, the guests, unless they were fluent in Italian, would not have  been able to follow the presentation. Although, as I have said before, I could have totally just listened to him without translation.  Through out the entire presentation, he looked over at his wife from time to time. We , the audience , would  occasionally catch either of them lose focus. It was like watching a conversation between lovers in the most innocent way.  One thing is for sure, passion was woven through the entire presentation. The stories Dario shared,  I will remember for days to come. His passion will reside with me for a lifetime. I feel that afternoon changed me in ways I have yet to discover, much like the goal Bill Buford had in becoming a Tuscan butcher.

Thank you Caputo Brothers Creamery for bringing Tuscany to York. 

CARNE!!!

kat

• Like 1