Sign in to follow this  
DaRiv18

Osteria al Volo and Cucina al Volo - Homemade Pasta Chain in Numerous DC and Baltimore Locations

On 10/6/2017 at 10:18 AM, Tweaked said:

Ripple space to become Cucina Al Volo

That would be my #1 option (YMMV) in Cleveland Park, then.  Great news for Cleveland Park!

18 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

That would be my #1 option (YMMV) in Cleveland Park, then.  Great news for Cleveland Park!

There seems to be a difference between Osteria al Volo and Cucina al Volo, and I'm still not certain which of the two is opening in Cleveland Park. 

If you look at their website, the only Osteria al Volo is in the former Pasta Mia space, but there are many locations of Cucina al Volo, including two in Baltimore, and one coming to Ballston Mall.

Am I correct in guessing that the Osteria is a full-blown restaurant that also sells items for the home, and that the Cucina is mostly a market that also sells pre-made ready-made meals? Do the Cucinas have any tables where a customer can sit down and eat? If not, they would go in the Shopping and Cooking Forum.

It caught me off-guard realizing how many locations of Cucina al Volo exist.

4 hours ago, DonRocks said:

There seems to be a difference between Osteria al Volo and Cucina al Volo, and I'm still not certain which of the two is opening in Cleveland Park. 

If you look at their website, the only Osteria al Volo is in the former Pasta Mia space, but there are many locations of Cucina al Volo, including two in Baltimore, and one coming to Ballston Mall.

Am I correct in guessing that the Osteria is a full-blown restaurant that also sells items for the home, and that the Cucina is mostly a market that also sells pre-made ready-made meals? Do the Cucinas have any tables where a customer can sit down and eat? If not, they would go in the Shopping and Cooking Forum.

It caught me off-guard realizing how many locations of Cucina al Volo exist.

The Cucina is mostly a food stand, there is a table next to its booth and it is not clear to me it is for their exclusive use (I doubt it).   I wouldn't characterize it as pre-made meals, usually you have  to wait for about 10 minutes for them to prepare your pasta.   I would say Takorean or Chipotle are closer to pre-made meals then what they do.  They do sell jars of pesto and other sauces for take-home, as well as fresh pasta.  I'd be surprised if those items makes up more than 15% of their sales.  

I actually have never been to the Osteria, so maybe I should temper my enthusiasm!  But these are hearty meals for under $20/plate, as compared to Sfoglina which is the closest credible pasta shop.  

• Like 1