Larry Doby (1923-2003) - Hall of Fame Baseball Player for MLB (1947-1959) and the Negro Leagues (1942-1947) - the Second Player to Break MLB's Color Barrier in 1947

DonRocks

Larry Doby was the first player ever to go straight from the Negro Leagues to the Major Leagues, coming to the Cleveland Indians, just three months after Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Cleveland owner Bill Veeck was considered just as progressive as Brooklyn owner Branch Rickey. Manager Lou Boudreau introduced Doby, one-by-one to the Indians' players ("This is Bob Lemon," and Lemon put his hand out to shake Doby's) - this was done with each member of the team, and everyone shook Doby's hand. Everyone, that is, but three people - Veeck got rid of those three players at his first possible opportunity.

In only his second season in the majors, Doby would go on to help the Indians win the 1948 World Series - the Indians have not won a World Series since then.

• Like 1

Lets add a food twist to this.

Lary Doby was a high school sports star in New Jersey.  He got into college, fought in WW2, came back, joined the Negro Baseball League and then went to the Majors where he had an excellent if not great career.   Doby settled in NJ post his baseball playing career and I believe he became a baseball official.   But the important food element follows.

Doby and his wife  settled in Montclair NJ, near Yogi Berra and his wife.  The two couples were great friends.  Montclair is near where I grew up and is part of the great world of Northern  NJ dining specializing in Italian and Italian American cuisine.  Over many years I heard of Doby/Berra restaurant sightings.  As many times as I visited my folks, the old neighborhood, and old friends who remained in the general area, let alone all those times I dined in the area...I never did see the Doby-Berra couples club at a restaurant.  Regardless I heard of many sightings.

The Doby's and the Berra's ate well.

• Like 1