Chinese chile sauce

pjnewman

Forgive me if this has been the subject of a previous discussion but many a meal at an ethnic restaurant has been complimented by a dish of chile sauce. In the past when purchasing what I hoped would be a comparable condiment at an Asian market,I have always come away with something that I felt was too salty. Is there a style or brand of chile sauce similar to what you might be served at a typical Chinese restaurant? Thanks.

On 10/23/2017 at 12:28 PM, pjnewman said:

Forgive me if this has been the subject of a previous discussion but many a meal at an ethnic restaurant has been complimented by a dish of chile sauce. In the past when purchasing what I hoped would be a comparable condiment at an Asian market,I have always come away with something that I felt was too salty. Is there a style or brand of chile sauce similar to what you might be served at a typical Chinese restaurant? Thanks.

Try this: heat some peanut oil until very hot but not smoking; add a lot of hot red chili flakes; let it cool, pour it all into a bottle and let it sit for a few days. Should keep for a long time.

The thing is, not all of these sauces are created equal. Just oil and red chili flakes to make a paste is pretty darn boring and useless to me. My wife and I fell in love with the stuff from Tin Lung Heen in Hong Kong. I have no idea what is in it, but I am damn sure it is NOT just oil and red chili flakes made in to a paste. There's likely some roasted garlic in it and maybe other stuff. We have only about 2 tbsp left and we're always analyzing if a dish is worthy of the addition of the last of our precious cargo.