The Houston Astros (1965-) and Houston Colt .45s (1962-1964), in the American League, West Division as of 2013

DonRocks

On 10/22/2017 at 5:25 PM, DonRocks said:

(I cannot get used to the Astros being in the American League)

On 10/25/2017 at 4:55 PM, Steve R. said:

As to why Houston is in the American League, I think that the decision sucked & that the Nationals should be there instead.  When Montreal folded, it was the perfect opportunity to even out the leagues and bolster the East Coast rivalries.

Considering their relative lack of big-name talent over the decades, the Astros have one of the most interesting *team* histories in all of baseball:

* From 1888-1961, the only professional baseball in Houston was the Minor League Houston Buffaloes - a (mostlly) Texas League team affiliated (mostly) with the St. Louis Cardinals

* They began their life as the Houston Colt .45s (after a "neam the team" contest - the Colt .45 was "the gun that won the West"). Their National League counterparts were the expansion New York Mets, and the two teams alternated draft picks from unprotected players from other Major League teams.

* Several Houston Buffaloes personnel were allowed to continue working for the Astros, and some of the players made the team as well.

* The Colt .45s played in the temporary Colt Stadium - very impressive for a structure meant to last three years.

* In 1963, they picked up Rusty Staub and Joe Morgan. Incidentally, Staub is a known connoisseur of fine wine.

* In 1965, they became the Astros (Houston being the "space capital" of the U.S.), and began playing in the "8th wonder of the world," the Astrodome.

* There's plenty more about their history on Wikipedia - it's an interesting read if you're a baseball fan.

• Like 1

I was a Colt .45/Astros fan from the beginning until 2005 when Montreal moved the Expos to DC. I switched my allegiance completely. Not even one NL team and one AL team as some people do. I root for ONE team period. Well this year with the early exit by the Nationals I would not mind seeing Houston win though I am really a NL man so I would not mind if LA won!

Wouldn't you know it? 2005 was the first and only time Houston went to the World Series, which was won by the White Sox in their first championship since before the Black Sox scandal when they threw the World Series to the Reds! It should have been seen as a historic win but it was so overshadowed by Boston's 2004 come from behind defeat of the Yankees and victory over St. Louis Cardinals. It's a shame. The White Sox are just not the national teams that the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, and Dodgers are. Houston is certainly not a nationally popular team.

Caught some games at the Astrodome when it was a real novelty! Had a team-autographed  baseball from 1968 til I eventually lost it!

Who could forget the Orange Crush uniforms of the 80? 

d6100bbf7e33b2feda1964e9a0842a1d--nolan-

---

Rusty Staub (MC Horoscope)

• Like 1