Pool Boy

What Is the Oldest Wine You've Ever Tasted? And the Oldest Wine in Your Cellar?

30 minutes ago, ktmoomau said:

We had a birth year wine from my birth that we found at some point, it wasn't saved for that purpose, just the irony.  We dreaded opening knowing it likely wasn't going to be any good, so we just put it off for a while, and we had no idea where it came from (it might have been our old house before my parents divorce and we never owned good wine).  Anyway it was in my Aunt's shelf of wine and someone at some party when they needed more wine must have opened and drank it because at some point we discovered it was gone.  So we will never know.  I haven't had the opportunity to sample any wines of the age noted on this thread, maybe someday at some point.

So your aunt has a bunch of lush friends?  How many people go looking for birth year wines?  Is this a thing?  I've never heard of it until my boss told me he has a bottle of port that's from his birth year that he's saving.

11 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

So your aunt has a bunch of lush friends?  How many people go looking for birth year wines?  Is this a thing?  I've never heard of it until my boss told me he has a bottle of port that's from his birth year that he's saving.

It's not just a "thing"; it's a big thing. Like, a *really* big thing.

Your boss was born in either 1963 or 1977. If the former, I'm willing to bet it's a Quinta do Noval Nacional; if the latter, I'm going to guess Taylor.

5 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Your boss was born in either 1963 or 1977. If the former, I'm willing to bet it's a Quinta do Noval Nacional.

I don't think the port is anything special, and I believe he was born in the 50s.

12 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

I don't think the port is anything special, and I believe he was born in the 50s.

Then he was born in 1958 - not a great Port year, but *a* Port year, and those are about the safest bets from that vintage.

The only other possibilities are 1955 and 1950 - in 1955, you can still find great Bordeaux; likewise in 1950 (although you'll pay dearly, and I do mean dearly, for a Pomerol, as it was a right-bank vintage like 1964. God I'm a loser).

PS - Tell him they bottle vintage Armagnacs which are often purchased for this very reason - I've seen 1958s before (in fact, I'm pretty sure I could find him one).

I just got a friend a magnum of 1968 Vega Sicilia Unico for his 50th birthday (I mean, I didn't pay for it, but I got it to him).

Two years ago, I got a friend some 1926 Madeira for her father's birth year.

36 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

It is not.  

37 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Yes, they are, we usually hide the good wines now. Apparently no one died from the incident, we were impressed someone was drunk enough to drink it.