DaveO

The size scope and speed in which his group has done what they did is remarkable.  It needs to be well noted.  By contrast the Whitefish energy “effort” reeks of sucking the cash out of the unfortunate with ultimately US taxpayers footing the bill to the vipers via FEMA funds.  The contrast is breathtaking 

• Like 4

Wow. What a remarkable story of leadership and execution. Despite what people say or do, there is so much good in the world. Picked a few paragraphs below, and it makes you wonder if certain things that we presume should be delivered by the governments and NGOs can actually be done better by the private sector, even if they don't stand to profit from it. It's one example of how it can get done. And, it's a bleeding hearted liberal doing it, which is ironic. Also reminds me of JJ Watt using his magnetism and stature to raise an incredible amount of money in Houston, over $35 million, I think. The last sentence cut and paste is interesting - FEMA/Feds won't even give the guy any credit. That's a mistake... 

There really are heroes out there. 

"Since he hit the ground five days after the hurricane devastated this island of 3.4 million on Sept. 20, he has built a network of kitchens, supply chains and delivery services that as of Monday had served more than 2.2 million warm meals and sandwiches. No other single agency — not the Red Cross, the Salvation Army nor any government entity — has fed more people freshly cooked food since the hurricane, or done it in such a nurturing way.

Mr. Andrés, who often rolls right over regulations and ignores the word “no,” clashed more than once with FEMA and other large organizations that have a more-seasoned and methodical approach. In meetings and telephone calls, FEMA officials reminded him that he and his people lacked the experience needed to organize a mass emergency feeding operation, he said.

“We are not perfect, but that doesn’t mean the government is perfect,” Mr. Andrés said. “I am doing it without red tape and 100 meetings.”

FEMA officials contacted for this article were quick to point out that many other groups and agencies besides World Central Kitchen were feeding Puerto Rico; a spokesman would not publicly discuss Mr. Andrés or his operation."
  • Like 2

@Simul Parikh  yeah, to your comments above.  Sitting here in DC, reading and seeing the level of destruction and learning of the miserable conditions and  of the disconnect between official reports and how recovery is proceeding has been disturbing.  Then this "story" starts bubbling up and then this article.  Its all quite remarkable.

I've been following the Whitefish story.  These two efforts are night and day different.  The effort made by Mr. Andres has been magnificent.  It also appears to have been spurred by a dynamic "get it done" perspective above all else.  How contrasting...and how effective while so many other efforts seem to have stumbling blocks all around them.

Kudo's to Jose Andres.  Superb effort.  It reminds us that not all is lost to the thieves and liars that seem to have taken center stage.

• Like 1

How World Central Kitchen evolved over time and in Puerto Rico

As they wound down their efforts as of the end of October they signed a contract with FEMA to provid about 1.7 million meals over 2 weeks. Contract cost about $10 million- a little less than $6/meal.  

Point of reference: The Whitefish energy contract calls for $80/day for food per worker in Puerto Rico.

Meanwhile one of the food contractors hired by FEMA just delivered “snack boxes” and generated This response

The responses in follow up tweets speak for themselves

contract cost: unknown

58 minutes ago, Tujague said:

James Beard Foundation Humanitarian of the Year. Who's going to argue with this?

Not me (interestingly, Tim Carman and I had zero communication - I was shocked that someone else mentioned it).

I'm a little surprised Ann Cashion isn't mentioned - if it wasn't for Ann, there might not be a José (or, he would have needed to take a different path).

"Power Is Mostly Back in Puerto Rico, but the Frustration Remains" by James Wagner on nytimes.com

On 10/31/2017 at 10:07 PM, Tujague said:

I will be surprised if he's not in the running for the Nobel Peace Prize next year. He is changing the whole paradigm of disaster food relief.

Oh, Tujague! I just now saw this! You get credit for being the first person ever ever mention this (I don't think he's going to win or anything, but I do think his name will be kicked around).

José Andrés by Emeril Lagasse on time.com