The Academy Awards - Should the Actor and Actress Categories Be Merged?

DonRocks

On 10/31/2017 at 11:53 AM, DonRocks said:

PS - As much as I love "Unforgiven," Jaye Davidson deserved the award for Best Supporting Actor over Gene Hackman.

This is as good a time to ask as any: As long as society is making an attempt to overhaul gender inequality, why do the Academy Awards still have separate awards for Best Actor and Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress?

Back in my youth, my response to equal pay for female tennis players was, jokingly, "Let's throw everyone in the same tournament, and double the prize money." But why *not* throw everyone into the same acting category? I guess it doesn't really hurt anything to leave it as is, but at this point, it doesn't seem very logical.

42 minutes ago, iolaire said:

Your final version is much more PC, the email alert was much shorter :rolleyes: Good point.

Well, I started thinking about Aziz Ansari, Steven Yeun, and RJ Mitte, and those are just television actors from shows I've seen.

(I often edit my own posts 3-4 times in the space of a few minutes, because I don't fully think them out at first.) :)