The 2017 World Series - The Houston Astros Win Their First-Ever Series, Defeating the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-3

DaveO

Not to pick the Astro's greatest World Series star but in season in 2014 while the Astro's were going nowhere  Sports Illustrated ran an audacious cover story predicting the Astro's in the 2017 World Series, in fact winning it.

SI cover stories:  long described as a curse.  This one was the complete opposite.  

Story

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaveO said:

Not to pick the Astro's greatest World Series star but in season in 2014 while the Astro's were going nowhere  Sports Illustrated ran an audacious cover story predicting the Astro's in the 2017 World Series, in fact winning it.

SI cover stories:  long described as a curse.  This one was the complete opposite.  

Story

Justin Verlander has been named MVP of the ALCS (I cannot get used to the Astros being in the American League), as they defeated the Yankees, 4-3.

Verlander started 2 games, and went 2-0 with a 0.56 ERA and 21 strikeouts.

He deserved it based on what I saw him do to the Yankees.

As to why Houston is in the American League, I think that the decision sucked & that the Nationals should be there instead.  When Montreal folded, it was the perfect opportunity to even out the leagues and bolster the East Coast rivalries.

So much talk of juiced baseballs in the 2017 World Series:

"2017 World Series Enters All-Time Elite Due to Alleged Juiced Balls, HR Record" by Jacob Shafer on bleacherreport.com

Did you know that every single major-league baseball used this year was made in America?

Central America, that is:

"Made in Costa Rica: Us Major League Baseballs" by Leslie Josephs on reuters.com

Yep, Costa Rica - a county which has essentially no interest in baseball (H/T - Jon Karl).

Justin Verlander just hit Chase Utley with a pitch, but the pitch *clearly* hit the ground first, then bounced up and hit Utley. 

What is the rule on this? I would have thought sure that was a standard Ball, but apparently not, as the announcers didn't even question it.

(As I was typing this, Chris Taylor just hit a single.)

(As I was typing *that*, Corey Seager just hit a sacrifice fly.)

At the end of 6, it's LA 2, Houston 1.